Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does online play affect your offline game?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

All monitors lag. There are no lagless monitors.

Also one of the inferno monitors is set up differently than the others, and has borders.

Also also, no human (even chunkis) is a reliable judge of lag, on the lower ends of the scale

I'll wait for Orim on this but if I recall rock band was used to test our monitors and they're within the 1 frame range they need to be.

(That or someone read a test on tinterweb to that effect).

You're correct of course- even CRT have minimal lag in general and some has significant.

I also vaguely recall the XGC screens giving two frames of lag when checked?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I'll wait for Orim on this but if I recall rock band was used to test our monitors and they're within the 1 frame range they need to be.

This almost seems like it could spin off into it's own topic, but how do you use Rockband to test TV lag?

Also can you use that to fix SF, since I know Rockband either applies or removes delay to the input display?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Was it tested with rock band by manually tapping the button in time or was it done with rock band 2 guitar? I dont think tapping it manuay is reliable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

This almost seems like it could spin off into it's own topic, but how do you use Rockband to test TV lag?

Also can you use that to fix SF, since I know Rockband either applies or removes delay to the input display?

The Rockband 2 guitar has a scanner which checks for input lag.

You can also do it manually but I wouldn't rate this at all. It can give a decent baseline but for deciding purchases, I'd rather a more concrete test.

All monitors lag. There are no lagless monitors.

Also one of the inferno monitors is set up differently than the others, and has borders.

Also also, no human (even chunkis) is a reliable judge of lag, on the lower ends of the scale

There are lagless LCDs (actually I can't remember if they are LCDs). However they are incredibly expensive.

Realistically getting under 5ms is the best any tournament can hope for. It's just not feasible to get lower then that, unless someone wins the euromillions and donates a shed load of cash. I include EVO in this as those alienware are not lagless.

I'm not 100% on the set up of the monitors. I know that the resolution on the Xbox has to be set every time. I'll make sure they're all checked before the EVO qualifiers.

Yes, no one can see lag that is under approx 10 - 12ms. Under approx 7ms it shouldn't affect the game in anyway either.

(That or someone read a test on tinterweb to that effect).

You're correct of course- even CRT have minimal lag in general and some has significant.

I also vaguely recall the XGC screens giving two frames of lag when checked?

I decided on the monitors we have now based on videos and websites showing CRT tests which claimed that it had on average 7ms of input delay. Which should be good enough. It's also the lowest I could with relatively reliable results (alliteration is fun) and a decent price.

CRTs in general don't have input delay but it is possible.

Yes when tested the XGC screens gave just under 2 frames of lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The New Definitive HDTV Lag FAQ <- SRK link
    RESPONSE TIME HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LAG.
    Why do games lag on HDTVs?

There are two different reasons for this, and either one or both can contribute to the overall delay on an HDTV.

A] Scaling/Deinterlacing: The HDTV is fed a signal different from its native resolution. The HDTV experiences a processing delay while scaling the signal (example: 480i signal from PS2 to 1080p HDTV).
    B] Postprocessing: Postprocessing consists of additional features on HDTVs to clean up or "improve" the visual picture quality of images (example: 1080p signal from PS3 to 1080p Samsung HDTV still has lag).
    The Best Solution: Commercial-grade HDTV Displays

What if there were an HDTV that had both lightning-fast scaling as well as no unnecessary and bloated postprocessing?

Guess what: they're here. They're just not marketed towards you and me. They are marketed towards Emergency Centers, Network Operations Centers, hospitals, airports, and other businesses requiring accurate, up-to-the-millisecond digital signage under a 24x7 environment. To see more, Google "digital signage" or similar. The same type of monitors are used in HD arcade cabinets, which is why they don't lag.

While these sets do not typically include HDTV tuners (and thus, are not officially sold as televisions), 95% of you HDTV watchers probably have a box from your cable company that does this already. Just hook it up through Component/DVI/HDMI and you're ready to roll.

Better yet, Commercial-grade HDTVs do not have ridiculous branding all over the monitor bezel like your typical Sharp, Samsung, or Sony. They are simplistic and classy, like something you'd see in a movie. This is just my opinion, but I think that the 2008 HDTV models from these companies have looked hideous; definitely not something I'd want to mount on my wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Its the reason I make sure I get at least a half hours casuals in before I play at any tournament I'm in, just to get used to the difference between my set up at home, where I play online and when I play in an offline environment.

Even at home, I've taken as many steps as I could to ensure an as lag free experience as possible, such as playing through the VGA connection of my TV. However, I still play on wireless with I know is causing lag but running a cable from the router to the xbox would be extremely awkward as its upstairs and the router is downstairs.

I just make the best with what I have but like I said, I always go for casuals before a tournament.

Advertisement