Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brougher freeview roscommon

Options
  • 30-05-2011 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭

Friend brought an old humax freeview pvr over from uk for me. I have got very solid reception of Mux B from brougher here in Roscommon.

I was expecting to get Mux 1 too as its also 16QAM and 500w but not a sausage.

I am getting a grainy TG4 on CH23 might be wiping them out. From what I can tell this is castlebar which is at 90 degrees to brougher (and thus the antenna) and 50 miles away. Doesn't make sense to me. Any idea what I can do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Vince Cable

Mux 1 is on UHF 30, which isn't co-channel with C/bar. Probably just the vagaries of low power.

Brougher PSB muxes are to be upped to 20KW at DSO but will then be co-channel with C/bar Saorview.

The com. muxes are only going to 2KW & will be co-channel with Divis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Sorry, can't even read my own notes its not TG4 its RTE ONE on channel 29 and is quite strong, reckon that would wipe out channel 30. I'm going to put the antenna on the opposite gable which should seriously attenuate castlebar. Will let you know how it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Multiplex B from Brougher Mountain is on E26, which is reserved for Castlebar TV3 but isn't used. The remaining analogue signals are likely to kill off Muxs A, C & D.

I've never really seen an adjacent (analogue) channel from a distant transmitter have such an affect on a distant DVB-T signal. After all, Brougher's DTT multiplexes (four of them) lie beside adjacent analogue broadcasts and I've seen no real problems with DTT reception because of it. I'd reckon you'd have to have signal levels capable of overload for it to be a problem.

The lack of E30 is a strange one as it's a relatively clear channel (at least until Holywell Hill fired up Saorview). But sometimes RF is a black art, especially with over-the-horizon reception.

paddyp wrote: »
    . . . its RTE ONE on channel 29 and is quite strong, reckon that would wipe out channel 30.

Not a hope, particularly a lower adjacent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Not a hope, particularly a lower adjacent.

I mean in the masthead amp because of intermodulation?

• Advertisement

paddyp wrote: »
    I mean in the masthead amp because of intermodulation?

Are you north or south of Cairn Hill, does the aerial pick up much signal from there?

It's a far more likely candidate for overload/cross modulation if the amp isn't filtered.

Advertisement