Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need heating engineer and MHRV expert

Options
  • 30-05-2011 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Can people please PM me names of good heating engineers and providers of MHRV systems

Building in the sunny south east

need them to understand the energy demands for low energy / semi passive houses

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭PJMCKE

Hi there,
    I know how you feel. I built a low energy house by direct labour and many details are passive levels but the house itself never went through the PHPP software. I had the DEAP calculations done but really i found them worthless to my needs. I went to two heat engineer and really they both came very short of what i needed.

My concerns were.

a) what was the most cost efficient system to install if any.
    b) Not to over heat the house.
    c) Which renewables to use to comply with regulations.

I used almost none of the information i recieved as they were either not conclusive or were not up to date with new technoogies.

My only advise to you is who ever you employ that they are well versed in phpp software and new technologies .
    BTW in the end i went with
    MHRV, airtightness >1.5, solar, 2 wood burning sotves and oil as a back up. I have not used the oil since the drying out stages of the build in January.
    I dont have any other advise other than rants on a blogspot i have. let me know you pm if you want any info and i can send it on to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Meteorite

I'm in the process of getting a engineer for a PH build in the east. I've experienced similar lack of understanding of PH concepts from engineers. PJMCKE, can you forward me on the details of your blog, I'd be intersted in reading about your experiences, why did you decide no to go fully passive, cost related?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sotobuild

Meteorite wrote: »
    I'm in the process of getting a engineer for a PH build in the east. I've experienced similar lack of understanding of PH concepts from engineers. PJMCKE, can you forward me on the details of your blog, I'd be intersted in reading about your experiences, why did you decide no to go fully passive, cost related?

Main reason is that the last inch of passivness cost so much more than the rest

got down to about 20 Kw/M2 - which is close but not close enough

so I am almost pregnant - but not quite !! (see a number of threads which argue this point) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭beyondpassive

There seems to be a sweet spot around 18kWh/m2 for most projects, where the return on investment curve starts to flatten off. For this scenario the most popular approach is to centralise all inputs and outputs to a 750- 1000l tank and run a couple of underfloor loops from the middle of the tank and low temp towel rails for the upstairs. You can also put a wet low temp post heater battery in the MHRV. The tank has plenty of inputs so you can plug and play a Heat pump or Biomass boiler into it. A room stove in an Ultra low energy house needs a back boiler to redirect excess room heat back to the tank. Because you have 6-8m2 of solar tube to meet Part L requirements, LPG or mains gas boilers are a good short term solution to meet your hot water requirements and bring the top of the tank to 60 degrees once a week.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/amilo/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/amilo/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
    heating and distribution.bmp

Advertisement