Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Carlow Bus Timetable?

Options
  • 30-05-2011 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

Bus Eireann had a new Dublin-Waterford timetable on their website and announced to be commencing from 29th may, it then suddenly vanished from sight along with all reference to it.

Does anyone know has this been scrapped or are busses running to the old or new timetable?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Bus Eireann had a new Dublin-Waterford timetable on their website and announced to be commencing from 29th may, it then suddenly vanished from sight along with all reference to it.

Does anyone know has this been scrapped or are busses running to the old or new timetable?

looking at the website as of tonight it's the old times. pity the new one looked very competitve with kavanaghs and faster to airport and late and early time which I like also. hopefully they do bring it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

patrickc wrote: »
    looking at the website as of tonight it's the old times. pity the new one looked very competitve with kavanaghs and faster to airport and late and early time which I like also. hopefully they do bring it in.
    There might have been objections from people in Castledermot over losing their bus service of from JJ Kavanaghs as the timetable was very similar and bus Eireann may not have wanted to upset members of the Kavanagh family considering their new derry express service operated by B.Kavsnagh & sons from urlingford.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

The new timetable is suppose to be taking effect on the 12th June now

foundry wrote: »
    The new timetable is suppose to be taking effect on the 12th June now
    Source? Nothing on the website about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

It was through email, drop them a line if u want!

• Advertisement

foundry wrote: »
    It was through email, drop them a line if u want!
    They never reply to my emails:( could you post up the email deleting names etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭lauras91

lauras91 wrote: »
    They claim reduced times but if they are keeping the last new timetable then the journey time from Carlow has increased by at least 5minutes and add to this that the times from Waterford are already tight and not having to go through naas or kilcullen or even castledermot the times from carlow should be around 85minutes instead of the 95 they had allowed in the last new timetable!

Seems very strange they pulled the last new timetable almost as if it was not approved when they published it online and as of now do not have a timetable to show the traveling public!

The new timetable is also on the website.. http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=237 They show the old and new one, effective from 12th June. But the journey time is 95 mins which seems quite long considering there will be no stops between Dublin and Carlow?

lauras91 wrote: »
    The new timetable is also on the website.. http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=237 They show the old and new one, effective from 12th June. But the journey time is 95 mins which seems quite long considering there will be no stops between Dublin and Carlow?
    The new timetable was only put onto the website late Friday, is there not some requirement to give 5 days notice of changes to timetables?

The journey into the City Centre from Carlow is 5minutes longer even though there are no stops in Castledermot Naas or Kilcullen and busses could do it easily in 90minutes before even when going through Naas and Kilcullen. Maybe that Luas Red Cow stop is not such a good idea? who would use it?

Overall the journey from Waterford is timetabled to take about 15minutes more than the old timetable, this is a disaster really considering it has less stops and should use the motorway from Carlow. How can CIE/Bus Eireann claim reduced journey times when they have actually increased?

There is also a few large gaps in the timetable from Dublin during the day where there is almost 3hours between busses. nothing between 5.30pm and 7.45pm when people will be trying to get home! both these busses leave too early for most people imo.

No bus between 3pm and 6pm from waterford and the last bus of the day is at 7pm!!!

This looks more like a timetable to suit staff in Waterford depot than to serve customers?

Has anyone used the new timetable yet and do the new times suit your travel plans?

• Advertisement

The new timetabLe allows 95 minutes from Busáras to Carlow(5 more than the old timetable when busses were usually a few minutes early) but with the removal of stops at Naas and Kilcullen and also no stop at Luas red cow and busses now leaving at times with less traffic congestion in the city centre the busses can usually get to Carlow in 70-75 minutes!

Great you might think but for one thing I noticed recently, the bus seemed to crawl along very slowly on the motorway with cars passing at speed and then trucks began passing the bus fairly easily. The driver was deliberately driving slowly delaying passengers for Carlow because he didn't want to be sitting in Carlow for 20 minutes until the timetabled departure time.

So the new timetable is a complete joke and lives driver more time than necessary to complete journeys. Passengers for Carlow are delayed to suit staff when the timetable should be changed so that at least 20 minutes can be shaved off each journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

maybe its to save on running costs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

im not the biggest fan of the timetable at all!

granted it is faster than the old timetable from my experience as the past few times ive got it i arrived in dublin and carlow in much faster time.

the only thing that seems to hold it up are the road works on Green Lane.

i dont like the fact that they do not stop at O'Connell Street anymore although i know there is one driver who would.

I also dont like the irregular times, they are very awkward to get around and to remember also. They just are not suitable. Although i do like the fact that the latest bus is not at 8 rather at 11 i think?

ShayK1 wrote: »
    maybe its to save on running costs?
    I think it has more to do with individual drivers as I know if it was me I would not like to be sitting around at the bus park for 20 minutes at any time of the day or the middle of the night while some drivers may not mind and may use the time to catch up on phone calls etc

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

I notice on the timetable that there's no time put in for red cow? What kind of time does it usually take to get from busaras to red cow? Do passengers have to request this stop or do all of buses going out of dublin stop here automatically?

I notice on the timetable that there's no time put in for red cow? What kind of time does it usually take to get from busaras to red cow? Do passengers have to request this stop or do all of buses going out of dublin stop here automatically?
    You would think that all busses would stop there but it seems in practice no busses in either direction stop at the Red Cow luas park & ride. I am open to correction on this if people have been on busses that stopped there please post their experience.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    You would think that all busses would stop there but it seems in practice no busses in either direction stop at the Red Cow luas park & ride. I am open to correction on this if people have been on busses that stopped there please post their experience.

Right enough I've never seen a bus eireann bus at the red cow luas stop, only the dublincoach service to portlaoise. I could see why buses going to dublin wouldn't stop there, as its only a drop off stop and if everyone on the bus is going to busaras then there's no point. But coming from dublin, surely they would have to call in to see if anyone is waiting for it.

I'll check with bus eireann to see what the craic is.

They say the bus does stop there, and to allow 20-30 minutes from the departure time from Busaras.

They say the bus does stop there, and to allow 20-30 minutes from the departure time from Busaras.
    I got the 11.45 bus from busaras Monday morning and it didn't stop at red cow? Have been on a few buses since new timetable and only one has stopped there! Also it's usually about ten mins, or more, early getting into Carlow.

Advertisement