Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie needs reform

Options
  • 30-05-2011 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Boards.ie has a very bad rep for power mad mods, That needs to change, People should only be allowed serve as a forum mod for 6 months.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Boards.ie has a very bad rep for power mad mods Citation needed, That needs to change, People should only be allowed serve as a forum mod for 6 months.
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

And have inexperienced often trigger happy mods moderating every single forum on boards.ie? No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Boards.ie has a very bad rep for power mad mods, That needs to change, People should only be allowed serve as a forum mod for 6 months.
    What a compelling argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Do you mean mods should only have a 6 month period to which the should be able to moderate?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I like your thinking OP. make Kevin Joyce a mod! In fact him the only mod.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

How would that resolve a power mad mod problem? If anything it would potentially make it much worse due to the high turnaround of mods in the various forums.

Add to that, you've have a large number of mods being trained in at any given time (assuming we allow a mod to remain in a forum to train them).

Are previous mods excluded from being mods again at a later date? Where are you going to source the large number of people required every 6 months to give up their free time to moderate a forum?

Would it not be a better idea to review these 'power mad' moderators and try to see if anything needs to be done there, rather than tear down a system that for the best part seems to work well for the site?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

phasers wrote: »
    I like your thinking OP. make Kevin Joyce a mod! In fact him the only mod.
    But only for six months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Whats this really about Kev?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Boards is, in my opinion, vastly overmoderated to such an extent that discussion is stifled. (with some exceptions of course)

But that is more to do with the amount of posters, its an inevitability when a forum is so popular. If a relaxed attitude was adopted (such as on certain private forums) things would get wrecked pretty quickly by tossers. Give people an inch and they take a mile. Thats ok on small forums but on bigger ones that turns into a disaster.

I think moderator should exist to facilitate discussion and ban those who insult, not act as supreme dictators locking threads left right and center. Forums should not be moderators personal kingdoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

At least the OP has a consistent track record in calling for increased moderation;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72297773

Other than that, what they said. New, inexperienced mods all over the place all the time somehow doesn't seem like the solution to whatever problem that's being invented here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Using an alternative account, so, site banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

hehehe

Hoisted by his own petard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

I'd be happy if they just fixed the search function, bring back google search which was relevant.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Oopps, forgot to close...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement