Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science conversion by nights

Options
  • 30-05-2011 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I am interested in studying computer science and need some advice on courses.

I am based in Dublin and want to study part-time (preferably nights) so that it doesn't conflict with my job.

I already have an MA and MEng in Chemical Engineering from the University of Cambridge.
    I'm ideally looking to do some sort of MSc in computer science.
    UCD do a conversion MSc but it's full time. Their modular MSc looks to be for people who already have a Comp Sci qualification - perhaps I could blag my way into that as I have a fair bit of experience and did at one stage work for a "large semiconductor manufacturer".

Basically I'm looking for any suggestions of suitable MSc courses in one of UCD/TCD/DCU/DIT (their websites are pretty vague and useless).
    I've no interest in the other colleges as they don't look so good on the CV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

st332 wrote: »
    I am interested in studying computer science and need some advice on courses.

I am based in Dublin and want to study part-time (preferably nights) so that it doesn't conflict with my job.

I already have an MA and MEng in Chemical Engineering from the University of Cambridge.
    I'm ideally looking to do some sort of MSc in computer science.
    UCD do a conversion MSc but it's full time. Their modular MSc looks to be for people who already have a Comp Sci qualification - perhaps I could blag my way into that as I have a fair bit of experience and did at one stage work for a "large semiconductor manufacturer".

Basically I'm looking for any suggestions of suitable MSc courses in one of UCD/TCD/DCU/DIT (their websites are pretty vague and useless).

Here's one for you:

http://www.ipa.ie/index.php?lang=en&p=page&id=148

This takes 15 months, is a conversion course and will leave you with a Msc in Computer Science.

It's run by the IPA and UCD. I completed a Post-Graduate Diploma with the IPA a few years ago and they run courses very well, their course materials are top-notch and lecturers are of a high standard.

They use a blended delivery method, comprehensive distance learning notes coupled with comprehensive weekend seminars.

It would be worth contacting them about this one as well because the delivery method to be used wasn't very clear.

Boobar

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

The majority of IT courses are subsidised by the HEA Advanced Skills Programme, so that list is good place to start. This includes some part-time courses with computing content like the UCD MSc in Business Analytics that are popular with Engineering graduates moving into IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jimiwhizz

hi there
    im in a similar position as OP - looking to change careers and seriously considering IT conversion
    ive just been looking into the ipa/ucd course and when i clicked enrol on the ipa website linked above i was taken to the ucd page and from there i could only see a full time option... so i dont think the fact that its in conjunction with ipa means that this particular course is flexible in its delivery. in fact on the ipa site under 'delivery' it states

"The programme runs from September 2011 to December 2012 and is divided into four semesters. Students will attend workshops and lectures at both the Institute of Public Administration and UCD, Belfield."

nothing about distance learning...

on the other hand I have found this other course which is put on by DCU..
    http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=GDF&originating_school=40
    looks decent enough and is part time over two years leading to a Graduate Diploma with the option to continue on to do a MSc

has anyone had experiences (good or bad) in relation to this course?

what kind of a job could one expect after qualifying without continuing to masters level?

thank you kindly and sorry for hijacking the thread - hopefully ive been somewhat helpful in the process! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

You must have at least found a course that looks suitable?
    You already have a masters in engineering, so a MSc in computers science isn’t going to add that much to your CV (in my opinion) - I’d be focussing more on course content and less on the institution delivering the course.
    jimiwhizz wrote: »
    im in a similar position as OP - looking to change careers and seriously considering IT conversion
    IT is not computer science. Well, IT is often used as an umbrella term encompassing absolutely anything to do with technology, but in a third-level education context, IT (usually) has a much more defined meaning.

Advertisement