Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Scholes Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Dont know if he has actually retired but he does deserve an appreciation thread.
    Its been an absolute pleasure as a United fan to watch him since his debut. His range and style of passing is just unbelievable and he has adapted very well in his latter years.
    His box to box play in his 20's was just quality. He always arrived in the right place at the perfect time and finished off his chances 95% of the time.
    He will be sadly missed if/when he retires and will be very hard/impossible to replace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Great player, the rarity of his skill set in English football means he is probably afforded more praise than other players of similar ability but that's not to detract from his ability as a whole.

The way he lived his life was highly admirable and he was one of the few United players who didn't come across as highly arrogant.

Sure he couldn't tackle for shít but it was never really that much of an issue because there were always players like Keane there to cover his back.

He won't go down as one of the all time greats but he is up there as one of the best creative midfielders in the history of English league football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Gents

I can see now that my original post was completely the wrong thing to say, so pls accept my apologies, I'll sully this thread no more

redface.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Is everybody here 12 years old or something?

Can't even appreciate the best English center midfielder the last 20 years.

Lost for words here really. Just absolutely shocking. There are about 20 posters here you could put on ignore after this. Haven't a clue about football.

Just crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Incredible player! The perfect CM'er!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Probably the one United player from the last 25 years I would have loved at Liverpool more than any other. No bull****, just a quality professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why is there a second one of these threads? Its not like its ancient or anything it was only started 3 months ago.

The Paul Scholes Appreciation thread

Congrats, when did you join the moderation team?

tumblr_lm03i0tXzL1qg9gdvo1_500.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

#15 wrote: »

Cute story but bullsh1t. I'm not saying they don't have huge respect for him, they clearly do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

#15 wrote: »

Ray Haughton's view on that was that Scholes admired Iniesta so much that he went out of his way to get the shirt off him. That's hardly in Scholes' nature to do that.

I prefer the idea of the Barca players asking him for it.

Really gonna miss him playing. What a fantastic player, even now. His control over a game is just incredible to watch.

I've missed his thunder bolt shots in recent years but he makes up for them with the long field passes he plays so perfectly.

Definitely one of the best midfielders of the last 30-40 years in England in my opinion

• Advertisement

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Cute story but bullsh1t. I'm not saying they don't have huge respect for him, they clearly do.

I didn't make that. Nicked it from another forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

One of, if not my favourite player to ever play for United.

An absolute gent by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Definitely one of the best midfielders of the last 30-40 years in England in my opinion
    Its when people say this that I say you are going overboard. He is behind Keane, Viera, Gerrard, Lampard and Ince from the Premier League era alone and then when you go back further players like Bryan Robson, Ronnie Whelan, Brady, Dalglish, Hoddle and Wilkins are ahead of him and there are more but thats eleven there for starters. And a good few of them played for United too.

Gerrard, Lampard and Ince

I find that opinion mildly strange. Gerrard was undoubtedly world class at his peak but I can't see how he was ever a better midfielder than Scholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

A genuine joy to watch play football

People saying that quotes from peers don't matter, when you have a list the length of your arm from some of the ALL time greats of modern football, I think you'll find they do count for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Its when people say this that I say you are going overboard. He is behind Keane, Viera, Gerrard, Lampard and Ince from the Premier League era alone and then when you go back further players like Bryan Robson, Ronnie Whelan, Brady, Dalglish, Hoddle and Wilkins are ahead of him and there are more but thats eleven there for starters. And a good few of them played for United too.

Would it be fair to say Eagle eye that Scholes wouldn't make your Premier league XI covering the last 20 years or so since football started in 92 ;) ?

Surprised you would rate him behind Ince whose career faded very badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I can find nothing official announcing his retirement :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Wasn't Ince that player who Scholes replaced?

Wonder where Gerrard would have been if Scholes had accepted the numerous offers to go back to England because Gerrard and Lampard couldn't cut it in the team?

Keane and Viera were different players but if forced to choose I would probably have them in a team over Scholes purely because of them being more well rounded than Scholes. They could only dream about his movement touch and vision and were really the perfect compliment players to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Incredible player! The perfect CM'er!

Great player but his inability to tackle kept him short of perfection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Vieira said the hardest player he played against was Paul Scholes and he was a world cup winner and a football legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Lampard? Ince?

Give yourself a dig. Your tiresome contrarian gimmick has well and truly run its course at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I never mentioned Liam Brady, Kess73 did!

Bad comparison, I'd agree!

That's King Kess, or "Please could you hand my balls back to me Mr Kess" Kess to you. :p

Should you not be in a car somewhere with Angelo?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Who the fúcks Paul Scholes??!:pac:
    He caused a few hearts to skip a beat pretty much anytime he was lining up one of those bullets of shots of his from outside the box in fairness.

Liam O wrote: »
    Wasn't Ince that player who Scholes replaced?
    No, when Ince moved to Inter it was Nicky Butt that took his place. Ince was first choice all through his time there. Scholes was a reserve forward at United at that time and began playing as a 'second striker' which is really an attacking midfield position as we call it now. He didn't become a midfielder really until 97/98 when he and Nicky Butt were both in contention for the one spot beside Roy Keane and pretty much shared time between them.

And Ferguson wasn't happy with either of them because if you remember he went and signed Veron. Veron didn't work out as well all know so he managed to keep his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

in terms of the past players, i have a feeling you're romanticising them slightly; and Dalglish wasn't really a midfielder. but i'm not going to argue, seen as i didn't see them in their pomp.

Keane, maybe i'll give you.

Vieira, arguable, but i'd take Scholes.

Gerrard, as explosive as he is, couldn't control his bladder properly, never mind a midfield.

Lampard, just no. Scholes was doing what Lampard does, and better, years before him.

Ince, absolutely never.

the fact half the football world talk about how great he is, and the fact the Barca players have confessed their admiration for him, it all adds up to him being rightly placed as one of the very best of his, and any, generation.

that is, at the very least, a very arguable standpoint. he wouldn't look out of place with any other midfield player i've seen.

• Advertisement

And Ferguson wasn't happy with either of them because if you remember he went and signed Veron. Veron didn't work out as well all know so he managed to keep his place.

It is possible to sign players to complement what you already have and give you another option rather than taking it as a sign that Fergie wasn't happy with Scholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

No, when Ince moved to Inter it was Nicky Butt that took his place. Ince was first choice all through his time there. Scholes was a reserve forward at United at that time and began playing as a 'second striker' which is really an attacking midfield position as we call it now. He didn't become a midfielder really until 97/98 when he and Nicky Butt were both in contention for the one spot beside Roy Keane and pretty much shared time between them.

Veron didn't work out because he wasn't as good as Scholes. Fergie used Veron out of position and couldn't give him a regular place in his favourite position. Similar to what happened to Scholes in the England team only they later realised that it was the wrong decision to do that...

Top player.

One of the best players in his position of his generation, no question.

It's ridiculous to see other players that don't play/didn't play in the same position compared to Scholes on here. Doesn't make any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Vieira said the hardest player he played against was Paul Scholes and he was a world cup winner and a football legend.

Does not look very hard to me.

Potential NSFW.

Liam O wrote: »
    Veron didn't work out because he wasn't as good as Scholes. Fergie used Veron out of position and couldn't give him a regular place in his favourite position. Similar to what happened to Scholes in the England team only they later realised that it was the wrong decision to do that...
    What went wrong with Veron is that he was used to the slower pace of the Serie A game and it suited him much better. He liked to spread the ball with long curling passes but they weren't going to be as accurate in windy English stadiums. Veron had to change his game completely to succeed in the Premier League and he gave it a real go in his second season at United in fairness.

It had nothing got to do with Scholes who was still being used in an AM/SS role for United at that time. Its only since Roy Keane left that Scholes became an out and out midfielder and thats when he had his best spell as a player imo.

Veron is one of the best midfielders I've ever seen but Ferguson was trying to fit a square peg into a round hole when he signed him.

• Advertisement

What went wrong with Veron is that he was used to the slower pace of the Serie A game and it suited him much better. He liked to spread the ball with long curling passes but they weren't going to be as accurate in windy English stadiums. Veron had to change his game completely to succeed in the Premier League and he gave it a real go in his second season at United in fairness.

It had nothing got to do with Scholes who was still being used in an AM/SS role for United at that time. Its only since Roy Keane left that Scholes became an out and out midfielder and thats when he had his best spell as a player imo.

Veron is one of the best midfielders I've ever seen but Ferguson was trying to fit a square peg into a round hole when he signed him.

Why are you bringing him up in a thread about Scholes then??? Why did you earlier say he was signed as Fergie thought Scholes wasn't good enough when you now say they played different positions???:confused:

The "windy English stadia" line is amusing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Oh dear Lord... please dont make this into a football manager positions BS waffle thread. Scholes played beside Keane in a 4-4-2 a vast amount of times.... dont start this AM, in the hole, behind the front two, sucking the gaspipe, cleaning the dishes, left side of right crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

nope.

Scholes became more of a fixture in the team in 95/96, as a striker.

in 98, Scholes became a midfielder after Keane got injured.

from then he was a midfielder.

when Veron came, it affected the way Scholes was accomodated completely, because Fergie tried to accomodate all 3. Scholes was pulled around the place because of his versatility. so in the League for instance, he would play as a second striker, then in Europe, Fergie would deploy him as a midfielder with Veron, as Keane sat back.

Scholes did not adapt well.

once Veron left, it was back to normal, he was deployed in midfield and was himself again.

so he's been a midfielder since 1998, and only got shifted around because his all-round talent meant he could do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Brilliant talent and pro, never gets the praise he deserves. Seen him a couple of times at Anfield and run the show.

In his best days he always seemed to pop up with a winning goal or just create it our of nothing.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

SlickRic wrote: »
    nope.

Scholes became more of a fixture in the team in 95/96, as a striker.

in 98, Scholes became a midfielder after Keane got injured.

so he's been a midfielder since 1998, and only got shifted around because his all-round talent meant he could do it.
    I've said already that he got shifted to midfield during the 97/98 campaign but he was sharing time with Nicky Butt. Butt played as often as Scholes but Scholes sometimes played the the AM/SS role and Butt sometimes played in wide midfield. Either way he was not a certain starter alongside Keane in that team during those years. There were periods where he was first choice but there were periods where Butt was the first choice. He then returned to the AM/SS role when Veron arrived. He only became an out and out midfielder for United after Keane left.

I've said already that he got shifted to midfield during the 97/98 campaign but he was sharing time with Nicky Butt. Butt played as often as Scholes but Scholes sometimes played the the AM/SS role and Butt sometimes played in wide midfield. Either way he was not a certain starter alongside Keane in that team during those years. There were periods where he was first choice but there were periods where Butt was the first choice. He then returned to the AM/SS role when Veron arrived. He only became an out and out midfielder for United after Keane left.

Rubbish, Slick has it spot on. He played regulalry in midfield after Keane got his long term injury and played there beside Keane as first choice from then on in really. From 99 on, posibly earlier, Butt was very much the reserve guy in midfield.

As for Nicky Butt playing wide, this only happened when there were injuries. You'd be more likely to see Phil Neville slotting in on the wing in an injury crisis than Butt tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

eagle eye you said before fergie signed Veron to replace Scholes when Scholes was still in his prime

simply the best english midfielder of his generation

Paul Scholes he scores goals

nuxxx wrote: »
    eagle eye you said before fergie signed Veron to replace Scholes when Scholes was still in his prime

simply the best english midfielder of his generation

Paul Scholes he scores goals
    Yeah, well he signed Veron to play in midfield beside Keane because he obviously didn't think that Scholes and/or Butt were good enough.

Basically he was the same level of player as Nicky Butt for most of his career and then when Keane he just improved enormously imo.

Thats five years where I have him as real classy but that puts him behind Gerrard, Lampard and Ince who were at a higher level than him for a longer period.

Fact is United have had a lot of great players in the Premier League era but some are overrated and the two that are most overrated for me are Paul Scholes(a very good midfielder) and Gary Neville(an decent full back).

It shocks and disappoints me when I hear people rave about Scholes as almost Roy Keane's level and rating him above Brian Robson in particular is really annoying. All I can guess is that these people were not around at that time and haven't a clue what they are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭QuinnC88

Veron is one of the best midfielders I've ever seen

So you are trying to say Paul Scholes is over-rated, but yet say Veron is one of the best you've seen???...what an absolute joke!!!

QuinnC88 wrote: »
    So you are trying to say Paul Scholes is over-rated, but yet say Veron is one of the best you've seen???...what an absolute joke!!!
    Yes. I seen him play a lot in Italy before he went to United and he was sensational in that league, he was also brilliant for his country anytime I seen him. Just because things didn't work out for him the the Premier League doesn't mean he was not a great player.

Same as I rate Kaka as a great despite his failure at Real Madrid or is that too hard for you to understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Jesus wept, some of the absolute bullsh*t that's bandied about on here is cringeworthy.

Veron better than Scholes? Give over.

Scholes was the best midfielder of his generation. I'd like to think when the player who I think will go on to be remember as the greatest of this generation - Xavi - names him as the best midfielder he has seen then that's enough evidence for me compared to the opinion of some keyboard warriors who judge the game on the back of fantasy football stats and Football Manager.

From and interview with Sid Lowe:
    Is Paul Scholes the English Xavi?

[Xavi interrupts, almost bursting with enthusiasm] Paul Scholes! A role model. For me – and I really mean this – he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years. I've spoken to Xabi Alonso about him. He's spectacular, he has it all: the last pass, goals, he's strong, he doesn't lose the ball, vision. If he'd been Spanish he might have been rated more highly. Players love him.

JUAN SEBASTIEN VERON BETTER THAN SCHOLES!! F&CK ME..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Right. First off you have proven that you don't have a notion about what you are talking about with these ones. Not a notion. All of the bolded players' first first touch and close control aren't within a million miles of what Scholes has.

You also are trying to compare a lot of other players who are completely different kinds of players to Scholes which is pointless.

Fergie signed Veron because he wanted to move to a five man midfield. Not because he was unhappy with Scholes. It didn't work out and that simply was because Veron was utter shíte. Windy stadiums my hoop!

The only half sensible part of your criticism of Scholes is that for a time at the start of his career he rotated with Butt and Keane, with Keane being the only guaranteed starter when fit. But that misses the point that United were playing a hyper attacking 4411 and Scholes was competing for the CM position with two players who were more solid defensively and already more established in the team. If the team had been a 451 then Scholes would have established himself sooner. He still worked his way into the team and became first choice over Butt during that period. He also played magnificently.

During the time that Veron was at the club, Scholes was still a central midfielder plenty of the time. There was just some shuffling going on at different times to try to accommodate everybody.

He didn't become a central midfielder only when Keane left. More bollocks from you there.

The fact that Scholes moved around in a midfield which saw plenty of rotation and went through numerous changes in shape and tactics during his very long career is not nearly a sane reason for criticising him. During all that time, from the late 90's to the mid 00's, Scholes played fantastic football and was a joy to watch. He was a crucial part of all of those teams that saw huge success and his skill was sublime all along.

Right on to the actual appreciation.

Scholes had so much skill in his prime it was unbelievable. Perfect control of the ball. Perfect passing and reading of the game. Perfect movement off the ball. As good long range shooting as you will see and a fantastic finisher when closer to goal too. And to top all that off he had a fantastic engine so that he was always where he needed to be to help his team create and score goals.

His only flaw was a weakness in defence. He too often became frustrated when a player got passed him and just threw in a poor challenge from behind. In a way he was unfortunate that he has played the majority of his career in an adventurous 4411. In a more solid five man midfield his defensive weakness wouldn't have been an issue. Still, I'm sure his 10 PL, 3 FA Cup, 2 Champions League and 2 League Cup medals make up for that a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Hope he stays one more season. 90% of my memories from watching united play had Scholes in the team. Absolute hero on and off the pitch. Hated doing interviews, getting in the limelight etc. He loved one thing and one thing only - the football. I'm gonna break down when he leaves :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2011/May/scholes-retires.aspx

Scholesy retires...
    Paul Scholes has decided it is time for him to hang up his boots and retire from playing football.

Paul was part of the new wave of talent that came through to the first team during the mid-90's. He scored twice on his debut in the League Cup at Port Vale in the 1994/95 season and since then has enjoyed a long a successful career, making an incredible 676 appearances for the Club.

Paul will take on a coaching role with the Club from the start of next season. Fans will also have the opportunity to see Paul play again at Old Trafford in his testimonial match in August.

Sir Alex Ferguson said: "What more can I say about Paul Scholes that I haven't said before. We are going to miss a truly unbelievable player. Paul has always been fully committed to this Club and I am delighted he will be joining the coaching staff from next season. Paul has always been inspirational to players of all ages and we know that will continue in his new role."

Paul Scholes said: "I am not a man of many words but I can honestly say that playing football is all I have ever wanted to do and to have had such a long and successful career at Manchester United has been a real honour. This was not a decision that I have taken lightly but I feel now is the right time for me to stop playing. To have been part of the team that helped the Club reach that 19th title is a great privilege.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Bye bye Scholesy. I'll remember the goal v Barcelona in 2008 most. A pity he didn't retire on the pitch so the fans could show their appreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Bye bye Scholesy. I'll remember the goal v Barcelona in 2008 most. A pity he didn't retire on the pitch so the fans could show their appreciation.

Testimonial in August should give fans the opportunity to show their appreciation for the legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Man, I'll miss seeing Scholes play, my favourite play from the PL era and stated by so many as the best midfielder of generation, he was just awesome. Once I get back from work I'll dig up my old Scholesy sig Mikey made for me many months ago.

Pure legend, and best wishes to him on whatever he decides to do in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Now that it's official, i'm quite disappointed really, did he not say he'd finish his career with Oldham or something? Either way a fantastic player that i'm glad I got to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

As a lifelong Liverpool fan I have to say I'm sorry to see him go. Glad on the one hand Pool dont have to face him again, because as a player he was utterly exceptional.

But for me more importantly as a person he was head and shoulders above pretty much all of his peers. His modesty and the fact that he kept himself private in an era when egoistical self inflation was the norm speaks for the man. The fact that at the end of the CL final a number of Barcelons greats wanted his shirt says it all really.

All the best Scholes and thanks for the memories, damn you for the nightmares you gave me :o, but as a football fan I'll always appreciate what you gave the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Thought this was class great player he'll be greatly missed.

Advertisement