Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Scholes Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

lordgoat wrote: »
    Yep, maybe Scholes should have dropped down to a bottom half of the table team to prove just how good he was.

Good one though, made me laugh.

Ah, I always liked Murphy, nice habit of scoring against United.

But the fulham fan is a bit too obvious.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Scholes was lucky given the team he played with. Murph was unlucky.

Anyway this thread isn't about who's better.

It's about apppreciation for one of the best players ever.

Fixed your post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Thiers a reason Scholes spent his carear at the top of the game while Murphy spent all his carear in average teams. Some people on this thread must be too young to have seen Scholes in his prime. So what he couldnt tackle his main role was to score and assist goals, which he done better than any midfielder i have even seen. Keane couldnt score and assist goals or pick a pass like Scholes does this make him overrated. No both of them had different abilites and used them exceptionally thats why they are 2 of the best of all time. If you can think of a player who has no flaw in his game fair play, the fact is Scholes only flaw was tackling which was not what he was asked to do. His job was to create chances and score goals and he done it better than any other midfielder i seen.

Scholes was lucky given the team he played with. Murph was unlucky.

It's about apppreciation for a decent proffesional.

Its not about luck you dont spend 17 years starting for one of the most successful teams in the world without being exceptional. How was Murphy unlucky, if he was as good as you say he would have been a great team. I actually cant believe im being drawn into a debate comparing Scholes to Danny Murphy. I can only presume your a young teenager so i will leave you to your opinion.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Is that legal?

No pity i didnt know it at the time i was young and foolish and paid the consquences:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Unearthly wrote: »
    and cheers for the entertaining read of Ince and Murphy being better.

Id rather have Paul Scholes and be a man down than have both ince and murphy with a full compliment.

They are so so far below scholes' level it is incomprehensible.

I left work thinking "how could paul ince be classed in the same league as scholes". I logged on for a quick read before bed and low and behold we have taken another turn for the worse. Danny Fcukin Murphy? PMSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Ush1 wrote: »
    Nothing awkward here. You made a judgement that credibility has been lost. I'll live with that, I've already given my opinion on Scholes.

It's great that you can be so cool about the whole thing. Really cool that you don't need to prove yourself to anybody and all. But maybe you could finally get around to clearing up the confusion. Do you agree with the Early quote or not?
    I see no United fan has questioned Scholes for shirking responsibilities of leading his team unlike Murphy.
    Scholes has better long range(aerial) passing, Murphy better passer on the ground threading the ball through.
    Scholes abysmal tackler, horrific. Murphy very decent tackler.

I'm not saying Scholes is rubbish and congratulations to him on retiring but Murphy is better. If Ferguson had coached Murphy ye would all agree with me.

He didn't shirk responsibility with regards to the captaincy. There was never a shortage of quality options for captain at United during his time so it was never an issue. He is so shy that he probably wouldn't have been a good captain, but that isn't much of a criticism. The praise that he rightly gets is for being a great player, nothing to do with captaincy. You do realise that being able to be a good captain is only one small fraction of what makes up the skills of a football player.

As to your claims about Murphy being better at some types of passing, you are wrong. Simple as that. I do rate Murphy, but he is nowhere near what Scholes was.

It's about apppreciation for a decent proffesional.

You are the one who started off by saying that Murphy is better than Scholes :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Paul Scholes was a fantastic centre mid who had a great partnership with Keane in their time together.

As for the Danny Murphy comments, Murphy is a fantastic player also in a similar mould to Scholes although probably not at this level. Murphy moved to Liverpool where he won a number of trophies but ultimately never a league title.

Scholes is famed for his mistimed tackles however his ability to pop up with vital goals cant be understated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Scholes is the best midfielder to play in the Premier League. Until as near as 2 years ago he was United's best midfielder. A sad day. The man Zidane looked to, the man Barcelona's stars drew lots in order to swap his jersey last saturday. A legend and one i will miss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Pro. F wrote: »
    It's great that you can be so cool about the whole thing. Really cool that you don't need to prove yourself to anybody and all. But maybe you could finally get around to clearing up the confusion. Do you agree with the Early quote or not?

Nah man, I just can't compete with being told I have no credibility. :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Jesus this thread has plummeted to new depths of idiocy. I skipped a few pages hoping that the trolls/ morons may have given up by now. But no, a new theory on Danny Murphy being better than Scholes! Christ lads where do you start with how wrong that is. So I won't.

"Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience"

Paul Scholes is the best English midfielder of the last 20 years. The man is a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Brilliant player.The one that sticks out for me unusually,was the first game of last season against Newcastle or someone.Wondered if he was still good enough as I don't really watch much of United.Pinged about 3 or 4 long range passes out to the wing.His passing that night was just sublime and a joy to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

TheBunk1 wrote: »
    Paul Scholes is the best English midfielder of the last 20 years.

Although Scholes was kinda brilliant I'd still put Beckham ahead of him in the 'top English midfielders' category.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Scholes is a great player but he is being overhyped somewhat. He had great years from 98 through to 2000 and from 2002 through to 2005.

For those years he was exceptional. What he did, he did brilliantly and he always had a defensive player beside him to mask his inabilities at other facets of the game.

The periods in between and especially afterwards were nothing special in reality and I know this is not going to be accepted.

He has been sent off 10 times and been booked over 120 times, which would indicate he has quite a dark side, this is a bit of a blemish really.

I think, in general, folk over hype a player upon retirement, an example being VDS being nominated as the best goalie in Europe recently as his retirement closed in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Pretty over rated. Was very good. Taking what Zidane says is like taking what Pele says, it is loltastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Have a look in Danny Murphys trophy cabinet and compare it to Scholes cabinet and it will give you a slight hint to who the better player was.

i love this logic, ok using same logic lets compare bryan robsons trophy cabinet with say wes brown or alan shearers with mikaël silvestres

for the record scholes was better than murphy but not using your flawed method

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i love this logic, ok using same logic lets compare bryan robsons trophy cabinet with say wes brown or alan shearers with mikaël silvestres

Ok many very good players and some brillant players have won nothing or very little throughout their careers and yes this can be down to club loyality , been unlucky ,bad timing ,s**t managers or countless other reasons..
    but to dismiss a players winning history and success when judging their career is a bit stupid ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Ok many very good players and some brillant players have won nothing or very little throughout their careers and yes this can be down to club loyality , been unlucky ,bad timing ,s**t managers or countless other reasons..
    but to dismiss a players winning history and success when judging their career is a bit stupid ,

Very true. Scholes wasn't just lucky that he happened to win lots of trophies. He was a key reason why United won so much. He was an automatic starter for the majority of his career. He wasn't just clocking up his 10 appearances to get a Premier League medal. You obviously have to take his trophies into account as one of the reasons for declaring him a great player. Not the only reason, but a big reason. Last time I checked, winning trophies was considered a good thing.

I have to wonder how some people can believe some of the things they write on here. Never in a million years did I think I'd come back to this thread and find Scholes being compared negatively to Danny Murphy. Jesus F'N Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I went to Man United v Ipswich back in 1994 at portman road as an 8 year old. It was my first ever football match.

It also happened to be Paul Scholes debut as it turned out. Wow, seems like such a long time ago now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Gnobe wrote: »
    I went to Man United v Ipswich back in 1994 at portman road as an 8 year old. It was my first ever football match.

It also happened to be Paul Scholes debut as it turned out. Wow, seems like such a long time ago now.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was sure Scholesy's debut was against Port Vale?

Edit: Whoops, pardon me, I just remember Ipswich was his league debut.

• Advertisement

I used the point for the 2 players in question not in general. Scholes was an integral part of winning those trophy's while the players you mentioned were not. My point was Murphy never got the chance because he was not good enough to play for a big team, which is why a big team never came in for him. While on Shearer everybody knows how good he was and chose to stay with Newcastle, Ferguson was after him many times but he decided not to join. In comparison to again Murphy who was never chased by a top team. So i dont see how the method is flawed i used the 2 players as an example not every players. Like Jason Byrne has more trophys than Shearer would that mean i meant he was a better player. Its a flawed logic when you apply it as you suggested, which if you read my post i stated two players. If i said a player is better than another player in general due to his trophy's then i could see your point, try have a read of my post again before jumping to conclusions.

Pretty over rated. Was very good. Taking what Zidane says is like taking what Pele says, it is loltastic.

Who else has Zidane claimed was the best of his generation. What track record has Zidane got for completely getting things wrong, like Pele who is awful. Just wondering also are you really laughing, dont really see the joke.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Who else has Zidane claimed was the best of his generation. What track record has Zidane got for completely getting things wrong

he did claim gerrard was best in world

i didn't dismiss anything, i just said its a flawed method which it is, compare robson and scholes medals and scholes wins easily but most people who saw both play would say robson was a better player and certainly his international performances would push him over the edge, scholes was never anywhere near as important to england as robson was in the 80s

he did claim gerrard was best in world

If you cant grasp the difference between saying a player is the best in the world at the moment, and the best player of his generation i give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Thanks Scholesy for a lot of great memories. Enjoy your retirement as a player. I hope he stays involved in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its interesting that he only has two PFA team of the year awards and they came in 2003 and 2007. Ince was selected in all three Premier League seasons that he played for United. Gerrard has been selected six times and Lampard three. He has no individual award of world, european or indeed national importance for an outstanding season but both Lampard and Gerrard have a stack of individual awards.

Somehow though in the eyes of a sizeable portion he is the best midfielder in the history of the Premier League and the huge majority opinion is that he is the best english player of the last generation. If we are to believe the majority it beggars belief then that he only got selected twice for the team of the year and never got selected as player of the year even though its been a United player thats won that on 8 occasions in the Premier League era.

I am aware that he is in the Premier League Hall of Fame by the way but with over 100 goals in his career that was pretty much automatic. I guarantee that both Lampard and Gerrard will be inducted very soon too.

His individual awards add up to that of a very good player who had a couple of great seasons towards the end of his career but he is being massively overrated by the majority on here and I firmly believe that people mix up longevity and trophys won with greatness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its interesting that he only has two PFA team of the year awards and they came in 2003 and 2007. Ince was selected in all three Premier League seasons that he played for United. Gerrard has been selected six times and Lampard three. He has no individual award of world, european or indeed national importance for an outstanding season but both Lampard and Gerrard have a stack of individual awards.

Somehow though in the eyes of a sizeable portion he is the best midfielder in the history of the Premier League and the huge majority opinion is that he is the best english player of the last generation. If we are to believe the majority it beggars belief then that he only got selected twice for the team of the year and never got selected as player of the year even though its been a United player thats won that on 8 occasions in the Premier League era.

I am aware that he is in the Premier League Hall of Fame by the way but with over 100 goals in his career that was pretty much automatic. I guarantee that both Lampard and Gerrard will be inducted very soon too.

His individual awards add up to that of a very good player who had a couple of great seasons towards the end of his career but he is being massively overrated by the majority on here and I firmly believe that people mix up longevity and trophys won with greatness.

PFA Awards LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Player of the season awards typically go to players who have had unusually stand out seasons. They don't reward continued excellence which in my eyes is a better sign of a players quality. Also, by playing for the best team in the country, votes for United players tend to split amongst a large amount of players. Whereas with Henry or Gerrard, they were stand out players. At United there are lots of POTY candidates. Look at 1999 for example, it could have been Stam, Keane, Beckham, Scholes or Yorke. So the vote was split and Ginola nonsensically got the award.

Players like Scholes or Giggs would have been stand out players were they in any other team, hence they would get more attention. Scholes was criminally under rated for a long, long time in England. His style of football is not what is typically lauded in England. Possession football is not seen as appealing as blood and guts or goal scoring. British and Irish people seemed to be the last to admit that Barcelona's style was as effective as it is. You only have to listen to any of the guff before games in the past few seasons about their "tippy tappy" game. The tiki-taki possession style is not admired. Scholes excelled at that and was a chief reason United dominated English football.

You only have to listen to any interview with a manager or player before a United game in Europe. Beckham was never the first names they mentioned, it was always Keane and Scholes. Scholes continued excellence became expected, whereas somebody with a particularly stand out season, unexpected improvement etc would get more attention (Gareth Bale is a great example).

Ince, Lampard, Gerrard etc are not close to Scholes in my eyes. They play more English pleasing styles of up and at 'em football.
    Scholes plays a European style.

Edit: Too lazy to read all that....in the words of Flah "PFA Awards LOL"

• Advertisement

Bale winning player of the year this year sums up all you need to know about these awards. He should not have even been shortlisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

'Stats are for losers, the final score is for winners' - Bill Belichick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Scholes was a great player, but is fast becoming the most over rated player of all time

jaykay74 wrote: »
    'Stats are for losers, the final score is for winners' - Bill Belichick.
    That quote is in relation to one game and not a season. And its relevant in one sport only and thats not soccer. But well done all the same,

That quote is in relation to one game and not a season. And its relevant in one sport only and thats not soccer. But well done all the same,

That's pathetic.

I think, in general, folk over hype a player upon retirement, an example being VDS being nominated as the best goalie in Europe recently as his retirement closed in.

That's hardly an off-the-wall nomination. He has certainly been up there with the best in the game for a long period of time, including the season just gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

It will be strange not seeing Scholsey in a United team next season, even this season it was a privilege to see him play and fizz his trademark passes around the pitch. It will definitely be a sad feeling as a United fan next season when there will be no Paul Scholes in the United team :(

I hope he stays around the United set up for a long time to come, it will be great to have such a level headed guy that has seen it all before, hang around the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

I was in the Bernabeu about 5 rows from the front (among the hardcore Real fans) back in 2003 when we lost 3-1 to Real Madrid. They had the real galactico team out. But I swear, Scholes looked a different class to any other United player. He was the only one who looked like he would walk into the Real team. The way he simply took and then passed a ball (sounds simple I know) just took your breath away. He was absolutely superb. He still looked class even for ten minuted last week. We won't see his like again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Thought he looked a bit lost for the ten minutes actually :/ Even did a bizarre pass to a Barca player at one stage. Obv Ferguson saw that there was no way back and was putting him on for one last time.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Arshavin's thoughts via Twitter......

Goodbye to Scholes, the angry ginger mini man with strange voice. He will be missed on the united bench. ;)

Sorry Al,

Quoting a fake Twitter account =

you_fail.jpg

Funny Quote from Lee Sharpe:
    "A few of us including Robbo, are watching the Youth team and we ask the boss which ones are staying, going etc. etc. So he points to them one by one, "he's staying" he's going." Robbo says, "What about the little Ginger lad?" fergie - "Well, we're not sure. He's got loads of ability, but he's not the quickest, and we're not sure if he's a striker or a midfielder. he can't tackle either. We'll most likely let him go." 2 minutes later, Scholes runs from a deep position exposing the two centre halves, goes through both with a shimmy and dummy, feints to shoot past the keeper, who then commits himself, and gets beaten by chip over a flailing hand. Robbo turns to the boss and says, "you don't know ****ing much about players, do you boss?".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

flahavaj wrote: »
    Funny Quote from Lee Sharpe:

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Arshavin's thoughts via Twitter......

Goodbye to Scholes, the angry ginger mini man with strange voice. He will be missed on the united bench. ;)

My thoughts.......

I think Scoles was a brilliant player for Utd at times over his career but is being over rated by a lot of people.

Firstly.... Scholes is taller than Arshavin and Twitter is now PiersMorgan.com

Secondly...I think a lot of people who don't play the game ay a high level rate Paul Scholes as a fantastic player, one of the best in his position who actually won lots of trophys in different United teams. It's the pros that go that extra mile by saying he was the best ever. They probably found hum tough to play against with his trademark passes, arriving late into tackles and hovering around the outside of the box for a shooting opportunity. Right or wrong he had a lot that would fear you

Well if the pros found him so tough and go the extra mile how come he only got selected for the PFA Team of the Year twice and never won a PFA nor a Football Writers player of the year award?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Well if the pros found him so tough and go the extra mile how come he only got selected for the PFA Team of the Year twice and never won a PFA nor a Football Writers player of the year award?

Dunno the answer to that one personally but by that logic are you suggesting that Scott Parker is a better player than Scholes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Using the wrong Sats once is bad but using them twice is just :(

Paul Scholes

Individual
    Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year (1): 1992–93
    Premier League Player of the Month (4): January 2003, December 2003, October 2006, August 2010
    PFA Team of the Year (3): 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07
    Premier League 10 Seasons Awards (1992–93 to 2001–02): Domestic & Overall Team of the Decade
    English Football Hall of Fame Inductee: 2008

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What went wrong with Veron is that he was used to the slower pace of the Serie A game and it suited him much better. He liked to spread the ball with long curling passes but they weren't going to be as accurate in windy English stadiums.

This still going on? The thread was ended with above.

Using the wrong Sats once is bad but using them twice is just :(

Paul Scholes

Individual
    Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year (1): 1992–93
    Premier League Player of the Month (4): January 2003, December 2003, October 2006, August 2010
    PFA Team of the Year (3): 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07
    Premier League 10 Seasons Awards (1992–93 to 2001–02): Domestic & Overall Team of the Decade
    English Football Hall of Fame Inductee: 2008

:)
    Lol somebody believing wiki I presume it is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Lol somebody believing wiki I presume it is.

Lol somebody not believing in facts. Be careful over the weekend if you go to any of those windy stadiums. :)

lordgoat wrote: »
    Lol somebody not believing in facts. Be careful over the weekend if you go to any of those windy stadiums. :)
    What facts are you referring to?

PFA Awards, still LOL.

• Advertisement
Advertisement