Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Scholes Appreciation Thread

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

lordgoat wrote: »
    Be careful over the weekend if you go to any of those windy stadiums. :)

Sun is shining, no wind.... I'd say Veron would have a cracker of a performance today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

The pass here at 1:26 is just class. How many players in that situation would end up panicking & loose the thing . Not Scholesy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

paulscholes18_425936.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

tdv123 wrote: »
    The pass here at 1:26 is just class. How many players in that situation would end up panicking & loose the thing . Not Scholesy.

That was a sublime finish from Beckham in the first one, some great memories there, and on the one at 1:26 great creativity from Scholes with that pass brilliant to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

[/QUOTE]The pass here at 1:26 is just class. How many players in that situation would end up panicking & loose the thing . Not Scholesy.[/QUOTE]

The last one was even better i think. Such a classy player. I'll miss watching him.

And next season when we're in trouble in some match, I won't be able to say "bring on Scholes there ffs, he'll get things going. Bit of creativity from the middle sorely lacking. How is Carrick still on the pitch. Sweet Jebus" :(:p:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That touch at 0:43 seconds to Keane is a thing of beauty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Scholes was a great player, but is fast becoming the most over rated player of all time

Typically the people praising him just want to say he was a great player. It is the other side of the argument who claim he is being compared to Maradona or Pele.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

eagle eye wrote: »
    What went wrong with Veron is that he was used to the slower pace of the Serie A game and it suited him much better. He liked to spread the ball with long curling passes but they weren't going to be as accurate in windy English stadiums.

Whatever about how good Veron was, but please tell me you're taking the piss with that statement? Unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,665 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

I remember seeing this in the United thread a while back. Never really thought about it til today, but it's a wonderful tribute to the man as he seems incredibly reserved.

BDo9eSJCAAAOR3q.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

eagle eye wrote: »
    What went wrong with Veron is that he was used to the slower pace of the Serie A game and it suited him much better. He liked to spread the ball with long curling passes but they weren't going to be as accurate in windy English stadiums.

Nearly two years later and I'm still laughing at this! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

He comes across as a good lad. I've enjoyed watching him play as much as I can enjoy watching any United player.

Posting against my better judgement but given the day that's in it and it did make me laugh.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Brilliant player and a top pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

as much as I dont like utd, scholes is the most complete english midfielder of the last 20 yrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

The most complete midfielder ever, apart from his trademark tackling of course! :pac:

Seriously though, Scholesy is the United player I've most admired over the years. Best thing about him is he just seems like an ordinary bloke who just happened to be immensely talented when you let him loose on a football pitch. Never changed a bit, which is refreshing when you think of some of the dicks who shared a pitch with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭skippy15

cson wrote: »
    The most complete midfielder ever, apart from his trademark tackling of course! :pac:

Seriously though, Scholesy is the United player I've most admired over the years. Best thing about him is he just seems like an ordinary bloke who just happened to be immensely talented when you let him loose on a football pitch. Never changed a bit, which is refreshing when you think of some of the dicks who shared a pitch with him.

I remember seeing him a few years when Ronaldo was at his peak, scholes was 10 out of ten every pass and run he made was for a reason. Was built with a football brain, technically brilliant and best live player I have ever seen by a long distance, utter pro just gets on with the game they dont build them like him......hard to say that being a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Seen him play back in 09. He hit a pass out to the right with the outside of the foot that will live in my memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

One of the players you don't begrudge a penny of their albeit ridiculous wealth, I think he's more in the mould of an exceptional German midfield player, a Mattheus or a Ballack for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

RIP

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Great footballer if I've seen one and his rash tackles will always stay in my memory.
    What is he going to do now? Coaching/Punditry?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yakult wrote: »
    Punditry?

yeah, he loves being on TV, and the sound of his own voice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd imagine Moyes will want him around the club as a coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

RIP

He's not dead! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I always thought that I'd seen Scholes play but looking at the England team who played the game that I thought he'd played in (vs Czech Republic in 1998), the midfield was Beckham, Butt & Merson. I did get to see Lee Hendrie play midfield for England that night and there aren't many people who can say that.

The only time I've seen Man United play life (vs Southend in the Carling Cup in 2006) Scholes was out with his eye injury so didn't play.

A real shame. Scholes will go down with Beckham & Le Tissier as my favourite non-SUFC players of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Yakult wrote: »
    Great footballer if I've seen one and his rash tackles will always stay in my memory.
    What is he going to do now? Coaching/Punditry?

He always struck me as a rubbish and reckless tackler rather than a malicious one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I always thought that I'd seen Scholes play but looking at the England team who played the game that I thought he'd played in (vs Czech Republic in 1998), the midfield was Beckham, Butt & Merson. I did get to see Lee Hendrie play midfield for England that night and there aren't many people who can say that.

The only time I've seen Man United play life (vs Southend in the Carling Cup in 2006) Scholes was out with his eye injury so didn't play.

A real shame. Scholes will go down with Beckham & Le Tissier as my favourite non-SUFC players of all time.

you would know if you saw Scholes play :D

Advertisement