Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox live refund?

Options
  • 30-05-2011 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

My aunt and uncle set up an xbox live account for their 10 year old using my uncle's credit card. My cousin then unknowingly ended up using this card to rack up 300e of charges despite not having been named as the card owner.

We've tried to get this refunded but xbox told us that because we used the uncle's card to set up the account all other charges are valid even without parental permission being given. How can we get the money back from xbox? 300e is just too much to ignore!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

How did they manage to spend €300?

All Xbox purchases state clearly "NO REFUNDS"

There are parental controls on an Xbox to stop things like this happening

• Registered Users Posts: 14 navyblue

He didn't understand the charges system, and thought that what he bought was bought "in-game" not charged to the card. He's mortified, but the main thing is to try get money back because the card was misused.

Looked through the parental control settings but it only blocks content and doesn't describe how to lock your card from the player?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

You paid for the items, you used the items. If a kid smashes a window, you can't blame the window for being smashed, you pay up and move on. Microsoft have no duty to refund you and they probably won't. If you want a chance, keep phoning up and annoying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Had an issue with a family member downloading games that they presumed were free not knowing that my ms points were being eaten at a huge rate lol Ms stated they wouldn't refund the points and they were right as it was my own fault for not restricting access to the console!!

Much is the same as your own situation as the card was not stolen and if you didn't want card details on system it was up to you solely to erase the details!

Sorry prob not what u wanna hear but an expensive lesson learned I fear for yourself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭ronan keane

It doesn't matter what you do they all clearly say "NO REFUND"
    thats all Microsoft need to say and that should be case closed
    You can however ring up Microsoft and tell them to take the card off the account if my memory serves me right.
    anyways it was dumb to let a 10 year old have an account linked with a credit card.
    On the plus side they could get the credit card removed and sell the xbox to get some of the money back/a punishment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sorry but if the charge has gone through and been spent, then there are no refunds. You can ask to remove the card, and thats about it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

It sucks, but this happens all the time. When putting your credit card into something that you dont use, it really is vital to check it out before hand.

When you just put your card details in, and accept the terms and conditions, nothing can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I'm of the belief that you are at fault. However if you want to take this further I'd send a personal letter to management up in Dublin. Ring them up and they will give yu the address. I remember I bOught a game during ms sales and was charged the full price even though it should have been half price. I sent a letter to management and they sorted it for me. Unlikely it will work when it was your fault but I suppose there no harm in trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

navyblue wrote: »
    He didn't understand the charges system, and thought that what he bought was bought "in-game" not charged to the card. He's mortified, but the main thing is to try get money back because the card was misused.

Looked through the parental control settings but it only blocks content and doesn't describe how to lock your card from the player?
    Yeah, but that's not the fault of Xbox or Microsoft. There's no way you'll get that money back. Your card wasn't stolen or anything, the kid's dad added the credit card himself (why did he do this in the first place?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

God help ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 navyblue

K thanks everyone, I'll pass all that on!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Microsoft will not refund it.
    However, you can go to your bank and explain the situation, some banks are willing to refund it (Although I wouldn't get my hopes up for that large amount).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KattJaevel

I can guarantee that Microsoft will not refund any of these money, the only way for you to get the money back is if you first call in, claiming unauthorized purchases, then go to the police and report your child for theft and then have the police call Microsoft to confirm the report. Then you will get refunded but your child will have a permanent record as a thief.

Thats your decition though.

And as for removing the credit card, IF there is gold subscription on the account purchased with a credit card, there HAS to be a credit card on the account. So to remove the Credit card, you will have to cancel the live Gold that you purchased. But simply claim that you JUST want to remove the credit card and they will send out pre paid code tokens for what ever gold is left on the account (might take a couple of days before they are sent out though).

Hopefully this sorted out some questionmarks. Any questions please let me know.

KattJaevel wrote: »
    I can guarantee that Microsoft will not refund any of these money, the only way for you to get the money back is if you first call in, claiming unauthorized purchases, then go to the police and report your child for theft and then have the police call Microsoft to confirm the report. Then you will get refunded but your child will have a permanent record as a thief.

Thats your decition though.

And as for removing the credit card, IF there is gold subscription on the account purchased with a credit card, there HAS to be a credit card on the account. So to remove the Credit card, you will have to cancel the live Gold that you purchased. But simply claim that you JUST want to remove the credit card and they will send out pre paid code tokens for what ever gold is left on the account (might take a couple of days before they are sent out though).

Hopefully this sorted out some questionmarks. Any questions please let me know.

Or go to the bank and claim family fraud.
    Then at least your child won't be branded a thief ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

How does one spend €300 on xbox live like??? Did he buy everything he saw on the marketplace?! I must have spent max 40-50 in 5 years on the marketplace! And im a pretty hardcore gamer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

No way will Microsoft refund your money, I'd say this has happened hundreds of times. I don't like attaching a credit card to anything makes it too easy to purchase stuff. If you have to keep entering your details in every time you're going to make purchases online you're more than likely only going to buy things you actually need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

how in gods name did he spend 300 euro? most thing on the market place like arcade games and map packs are 800-1200 ms points which is about 10-15 euro. he must have bought a few full game downloads.

rule no.1 dont use your credit card for xbox. points can be gotten alot cheaper online. almost half price.

garv123 wrote: »
    how in gods name did he spend 300 euro? most thing on the market place like arcade games and map packs are 800-1200 ms points which is about 10-15 euro. he must have bought a few full game downloads.

rule no.1 dont use your credit card for xbox. points can be gotten alot cheaper online. almost half price.

MS Points, for example.
    You can buy packages of like 6000 MS Points online, which can rack up a fair amount of money.

I support Xbox, and you'd be surprised how many kids just spend and spend and spend without knowing the consequences, only for mommy and daddy to get a huge bill of several hundreds of euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

garv123 wrote: »

Downloading Halo:Reach would make a big dent in the €300, it's priced 69.99 from games on demand :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Microsoft will not refund it.
    However, you can go to your bank and explain the situation, some banks are willing to refund it (Although I wouldn't get my hopes up for that large amount).

Haha ye, the day that happens.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Soby wrote: »

Surprisingly the banks dont care as long as they can charge someone with fraud, so 300 euro down or branding your son a criminal...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

navyblue wrote: »

calex71 wrote: »
    Downloading Halo:Reach would make a big dent in the €300, it's priced 69.99 from games on demand :eek:

Something doesn't add up here.

Games on Demand (300 worth) aren't bought in game at all. It's also very obvious that you're buying them, the price in euro is clearly displayed.

In game content is bought using MSP. These don't come directly from the credit card, there is an explicit step where you actually purchase the points using the credit card, then use the points to buy content. The max you can do at one time is around 60 euro, so he'd have had to repeat that step at least 5 times - each time it would have been clear he was buying MSP using a credit card.

Also, very few (popular) games have even 5000 MSP worth of DLC, he'd have had to do this over and over again for multiple games.

There's an option to list all the purchases an account has made, maybe do this and provide a list of a few of the items bought - maybe there's something else I'm not aware of - but GoD are not "ingame" and spending it via converting it to MSP is not something that happens by accident (yes I know if there's a credit card attached it will pop up a purchase MSP window).

I hate to say this, but I doubt the 10 year old is as innocent in this as is being made out- check the specific purchases and people can tell you how likely they were made accidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Dollars to Doughnuts, it's fifa ultimate team. Good old collectable football players.

I've seen it happen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Interesting in a thread about somebody looking for a refund after being overcharged without realising it, that there is a picture of Torres holding a Chelsea shirt :)

Sorry, I know it was off topic but couldn't resist. I promise I'll fight the urge in future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

pH wrote: »
    Something doesn't add up here.

... ... .

You can buy all of the individual unlockable* items in most EA games with MS points or the stored CC.

i.e. Cars / Car parts in the NFS series or Hats and golf Clubs / Shorts / Gloves etc in Tiger Woods PGA Tour 20XX

A few EA games and I'd say no problem in racking up €300

* - By unlockable items I don't mean DLC, I mean items you would unlock by playing through the game normally - Yes EA do that!

Advertisement