Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well at least someone up here has money to waste

Options
  • 30-05-2011 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

seen a thread on this in AH but thought yous might wanna read in here too
    http://www.donegaldaily.com/2011/05/30/ddtv-video-oh-what-a-messi-donegal-businessman-blows-e25000-on-man-utd-bet/
    THERE’S just no counting for blind loyalty, but it cost one Letterkenny business €25,000 at the weekend….in a bet on Manchester United!

And bookies across the county bagged a small fortune as Donegal’s legions of Man Utd fans took advantage of ‘generous’ odds on their side’s European Cup clash with Barcelona at Wembley.

The well-known Letterkenny businessman couldn’t resist odds of 7/4….standing to pocket almost €19,000 if United had won.

That was despite almost everyone else in the world tipping Barcelona to win the Champions League Final.

In a Wembley stadium with ‘home’ fans far outnumbering Catalan followers, United could manage just 37 percent possession, muster only one shot on goal and not earn a single corner, so much did they fall under the spell of Lionel Messi, Xavi, Andres Iniesta and their supporting cast.

It was an incredible display of football by a team which will surely dominate European football for years to come.

Today a close friend of the Letterkenny businessman who lost the fortune, told donegaldaily: “He’s just sick….and he’s taking a fair bit of stick over it as well.

“He also made the mistake of telling everyone about his ‘great bet’ but anyone who knows anything about gambling knew Barcelona were going to eat Man United alive on Saturday.”

wonder who it was....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Fool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

didnt paddypower have a moneyback offer if Barca won in 90mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

only one first goalscorer/scorecast or last scorer bets. there was another one but i can't remember but the max refund is only 100 quid anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

danniemcq wrote: »

wonder who it was....

I am pretty sure i know who it is! Has a nephew with a stunning long throw :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

Nah, I don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Who was Finn McCools Uncle....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

Bit of a tabloid-style non-story.

Man bets on second-favourite.

Second-favourite doesn't win.

Who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This story just brings a tear to my eye when I think of the amount of vodka that could have been bought with the stake money :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

the maths make no sense either

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

muffler wrote: »
    This story just brings a tear to my eye when I think of the amount of vodka that could have been bought with the stake money :pac:

imagine the boards beers it could have been!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

odds of 7/4?

Paddy Power had them at just under 3/1. Andrew Doherty in Ballyshannon was giving 7/2

could have saved half his money by taking 7/2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

A fool and their money.. Let's hope he had it to spare, and won't go out of business or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

odds of 7/4?

Paddy Power had them at just under 3/1. Andrew Doherty in Ballyshannon was giving 7/2

could have saved half his money by taking 7/2

7/4 was probably to lift the trophy as opposed to normal time winner

Advertisement