Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bearded collie

• 30-05-2011 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi there,

Looking to get a bearded collie puppy and cannot seem to find any in the country. Does anybody have any contacts for breeders or anything?
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭mystika121

Hi, I know you are looking for a puppy but Carrick Dog Shelter have a gorgeous Bearded Collie (15 months old) looking for a home!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

hi i am not meaning to preach but....so many dogs are being put to sleep every day in pounds in Ireland. I really wish they would ban dog breeding in this country as every dog rescue is full to capacity. I do volunteer work for a dog rescue. Also, please do not buy puppies from puppy farms as you will be getting a pup with health defects etc....thanks for reading:)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fendigal

Hi,
    We had a bearded collie dog that sadly passed away a couple of months ago and that is the main reason we would like another,we just adored him so much!we had travelled to uk for him and were hoping to get one in ireland this time..its probably a long shot but i said id post here and see if anybody knew a breeder for bearded collies. I would never buy from a puppy farm i dont agree with this type of breeding or dog treatment.
    mystika thanks for that i will contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

From the Irish Kennel Club website:

Bearded Collie Club of Ireland
    Mrs. H. Hegarty
    37 McSwineys Villas, Off Blarney Street, Co. Cork.
    ( 021-4210730 )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

The bearded collie at Carrick shelter - I adopted him just 1 week ago!!

I think they had another there - a cross - I didn't see him, just the photo on site.

The fella we got is working out great - lovely friendly fella, doesn't seem to have any issues. He's very small though and I've a feeling there must be a cross somewhere along the line.

I laughed at the comment "if you've ever been owned by a beardie....", but now I know how true it is. This is my 3rd one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Hi I have spoken to Helen in Cork about the beardies and she tells me that there is nobody in ireland breeding them. However there is a girl in Northern Ireland and she has none at the moment but is waiting for her bitch to come in to heat. She is on the english kennel club website as far as I can remember as a breeder, think she is in Down.

We have sourced one in Wales and I am going to collect him on Saturday and am just so looking forward to it. He is a from working beardie parents and not kennel club registered, and reared on a farm.

We recently had to have our beautiful baby Benjy a Tibetan Terrier put down due to an eye problem inherent in the breed, and he came from a very reputable breeder etc, he was only four the poor wee mite had all his papers and marvellous pedigree which is no guarantee against illness either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Collies seem to be having a rough time of it at the moment in Ireland at the moment - tons of them in the Pounds & up for Adoption - check out the Irish Animal Shelters FB Page - lots of the rescues use this as a central point to put photos up with animals needing homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ruben

SlimCi wrote: »
    Hi I have spoken to Helen in Cork about the beardies and she tells me that there is nobody in ireland breeding them. However there is a girl in Northern Ireland and she has none at the moment but is waiting for her bitch to come in to heat. She is on the english kennel club website as far as I can remember as a breeder, think she is in Down.

We have sourced one in Wales and I am going to collect him on Saturday and am just so looking forward to it. He is a from working beardie parents and not kennel club registered, and reared on a farm.

We recently had to have our beautiful baby Benjy a Tibetan Terrier put down due to an eye problem inherent in the breed, and he came from a very reputable breeder etc, he was only four the poor wee mite had all his papers and marvellous pedigree which is no guarantee against illness either.

Apologies SlimCi, if you have done this already;)
    A responsible breeder would be delighted to get that feedback from you.
    Don't mean to be patronizing but sometimes people just never think to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

No I have gone back to the breeder alright and she has offered to replace the puppy when the next one is due but you know I'm not sure I could go for another TT again......

Advertisement