Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly weed

Options
  • 30-05-2011 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

160984.jpgHi can someone tell me what type of horrible weed this is growing in the corner of my garden,its about 5 foot tall,it grew that height in a year as I chopped it down last summer,its smelly when I cut it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Looks like a young Elder bush.

This is a link that was posted for a different problem and is appropriate here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Cheers!

Papa said it was an Alder Bush -close but no cigar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Alder is different, its a tree.
    Non-motonic is correct its an Elder they have lovely flowers that you can make champagne out of if you wanted to.

Oh I know Non-motonic was correct,I was saying papa was incorrect.

Its sounds like a pleasant tree after-all ,I never gave it much of a chance to grow as I though it was a weed, I will decide whether to keep it or not after I see the berries in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The flowers and fruit are nice but its not really a garden tree, not very attractive, grows untidily and is indeed a bit smelly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

It is a plant that is a good example of a weed (something growing in the wrong place). Its more suited to hedgerows. When it becomes more mature, the stems become woody but they cant be used for burning when cut (hollow) and bush grows more vigorously.

Similar to having a wild blackberry in your garden.
    blackberries.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

They're good for bird and insect life though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Non-motonic is correct its an Elder they have lovely flowers that you can make champagne out of if you wanted to.

Ooooo! I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

slowburner wrote: »
    They're good for bird and insect life though :)

Good point, theres loads of house sparrows that come to my garden, and I see they like elder- berries

4011592197_9e0efeaa63.jpg

So I think I may keep it,and just give it a trim.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Great picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Alder is different, its a tree.

The flowers should be out around now if you want to try finding a bigger one to try. I used to make loads of wine from the flowers years ago. The 'champage' / cordial is lovely too.

I'll bet the title of this thread has aroused the curiosity of 'gardeners' who are only interested in one plant ;)

Advertisement