Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trade in Values

Options
  • 30-05-2011 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

I was trading in a few games the other day at Gamestop, and was looking at the trade values I got. First I thiought it was p*ss poor (i know the games are old enough) but I availed of the bonus credit towards Duke Nukem so it was OK :)
    What do you think is a fair trade in value for these games?

X360
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Sniper Ghost Warrior
    Kane and Lynch 2

PS3
    Heavy Rain
    Gran Turismo 5

What do you think is a fair trade in value in general? i.e. if you could buy a 2nd hand game for €19.99 - what would you expect to get as a trade value for the same game?
    When I was younger, I used to be annoyed by how low the trade value was, but knowing a bit more about economics and supply and demand......I can understand why Kane and Lynch 2 was so low.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Tbh, you're better off using ebay to sell your games, you can get a better price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Agreed, ebay or adverts.

I have and would never trade in a game

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well in fairness, the extra 25% trade-in value on pre-orders is great from GameStop. It nearly gives you the same value as selling on e-bay, and sometimes more. For example, when i traded in Homefront, i got €56.50 credit for it. That was a game plus an extra bit left over!

GT5 gave me €22.50 credit the other day, K&L2 probably would get about €5, Heavy Rain about €7-€12, Sniper:Ghost Warrior €7, and Batman about €12. I reckon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Tallon wrote: »
    Agreed, ebay or adverts.

I have and would never trade in a game

totally agree.
    op, you get ripped off when you trade your games in. Understandable the games store has to make money too. But there is both gaining and then you getting the ripped off. Games stores like the latter.

try ebay or adverts.
    note, on adverts you get all sorts of chancers. Like if you list something at a reasonable price (say 100 euro for something brand new would be 180!) you'll get a chancer saying "give ya 50" - pay no attention to that.

and for the record check out the current in-store second hand prices for the games you have. last time i checked Batman: Arkham Asylum still is practally full-price when second hand :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I find HMV to be excellent for trade ins. I got 45 euro worth for crysis 2 and God of war 3 last week and would have got another 26.50 i think if i traded in Uncharted 2 and Metal gear solid 4. Don't think i would have done much better on ebay.

I checked in gamestop and game and they both offered only 38 euro or so (althought game do offer to match others prices I think).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭turnfan

I was thinking of setting up my own website before for trading games etc, and came to the depressing realisation that I would have to offer terrible trade in values in order to cover the risk and handling.
    The more you know about games, the less you'd offer as trade value.

€45 for crysis 2 is a crazy price - how much do HMV expect to sell it for??

Batman is a great game, but it's 2 years old, would anyone pay €20 for it 2nd hand?
    Couldn't be bothered with adverts, too many tire kickers. Ebay scares me :o

I guess if the game is cheap, you can't expect much of a trade in value. And the games can only get cheap by offering low values.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

LighterGuy wrote: »
    try ebay or adverts.
    note, on adverts you get all sorts of chancers. Like if you list something at a reasonable price (say 100 euro for something brand new would be 180!) you'll get a chancer saying "give ya 50" - pay no attention to that.

so so many chancers... €10 for any game... get offers of €5 for 2 of them... puts me off using adverts...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Korvanica wrote: »
    so so many chancers... €10 for any game... get offers of €5 for 2 of them... puts me off using adverts...

I have to agree. Lots of time wasters but lots of genuine people too.

Korvanica wrote: »

Puts me off too.
    Sure everything is negotiable, but then theres making an offer thats insulting.

turnfan wrote: »
    €45 for crysis 2 is a crazy price - how much do HMV expect to sell it for??

29 euro for Crysis 2 and 16 euro for God of War 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

hmv are great for trade ins, I got €33 for LA Snore the other day, sorry I traded MK in for it now, I rarely ever trade in games, I always wind up rebuying stuff a year later when I feel like giving it a play again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Was offered 9 euro credit for FIFA 11 in GameStop the other day, I just gave the game away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Nollog

Puts me off too.
    Sure everything is negotiable, but then theres making an offer thats insulting.

They start low to see what your minimum is.
    I did it once and the guy got mad and blocked me. :'(

Was offered 9 euro credit for FIFA 11 in GameStop the other day, I just gave the game away.

How much would you buy FIFA 11 2nd hand for? I'd never bother trading a FIFA in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

How much would you buy FIFA 11 2nd hand for? I'd never bother trading a FIFA in.

I think they're very reluctant to accept sports titles, especially ones that have a new edition annually. Cos really, who wants to buy FIFA '10 when you can get '11?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭spudwiser

Has anyone traded in Portal 2 in Gamestop?
    How much did you get for it?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    They start low to see what your minimum is.
    I did it once and the guy got mad and blocked me. :'(

They dont try and see what the minimum is, thats just people chancing their arm. Hoping some stupid fool would say "ok deal" - and while the money is exchanging hands be thinking "fu*king idiot" with a big smile on their faces. Its not tactics, its trying to rip someone off.

As I said before everything is negotiable. Which is fine. Come to a acceptable price between both seller and buyer. Then make a deal.
    Personally, if I was to sell something and got an insulting offer I would either (A,) ignore it (B,) tell them to f**k off or (C,) if.. and thats a big IF after doing (A) or (B) they were really looking to buy after chancing their arm with an insulting offer... being honest I would try to get into them. Door swings both ways after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

They dont try and see what the minimum is, thats just people chancing their arm. Hoping some stupid fool would say "ok deal" - and while the money is exchanging hands be thinking "fu*king idiot" with a big smile on their faces. Its not tactics, its trying to rip someone off.

As I said before everything is negotiable. Which is fine. Come to a acceptable price between both seller and buyer. Then make a deal.
    Personally, if I was to sell something and got an insulting offer I would either (A,) ignore it (B,) tell them to f**k off or (C,) if.. and thats a big IF after doing (A) or (B) they were really looking to buy after chancing their arm with an insulting offer... being honest I would try to get into them. Door swings both ways after all.

Dear, that's taking it a bit too personally, no? Sure, there's a couple who'd try rip you off, but vast majority of people are just having a go at getting a bargain, there's nothing personal in it.

I think they're very reluctant to accept sports titles, especially ones that have a new edition annually. Cos really, who wants to buy FIFA '10 when you can get '11?

Yeah, with FIFA 2012 around the corner, how much could you realsitically expect for FIFA 2011?

The example where earlier HMV gave €45 for Crysis 2, and sell it at €29.....does not compute!

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Dear, that's taking it a bit too personally, no? Sure, there's a couple who'd try rip you off, but vast majority of people are just having a go at getting a bargain, there's nothing personal in it.

maybe it is personal :pac:
    lol, if someone wants to barter, lets barter :)

But if someone wants to mess around and offer a small fraction of the asking price (they can go f themselves :pac:)

I bought LA Noire 2 weeks ago. Brand New. If I wanted to sell it for a reasonable 30 euro i would still get people getting back "offer 10 and you have to post it to me" :P - thats not bartering. Thats chancers.

• Advertisement

Yeah, with FIFA 2012 around the corner, how much could you realsitically expect for FIFA 2011?

The example where earlier HMV gave €45 for Crysis 2, and sell it at €29.....does not compute!

No I traded Crysis 2 for €29. I assume they are selling it for €35-40

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭spudwiser

spudwiser wrote: »
    Has anyone traded in Portal 2 in Gamestop?
    How much did you get for it?

quoted 27e today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Thats because Game have it on sale for 29.99 or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

spudwiser wrote: »
    quoted 27e today :(

I was offered 22 credit or 27 on pre order. It was 32 quid last week! They have new on sale for 35 for Nxt couple weeks so trade ins adjusted accordingly

Advertisement