Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Certificate: Construction Studies - Theory (Study).

Options
  • 30-05-2011 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi there, I am just wondering about the leaving certificate construction studies. I have no clue when it comes to the theory. I have done my day practical, project & portfolio. Both went pretty well.

So, I basically just have 3 things I need help with.

(1). I am just wondering could some one help me to make a prioritised list of what topics I should be studying.

(2). I know that you have to answer the 1st question which is always a scale drawing. I do D.C.G, so I have the skills sets for drawing the question quickly. I just I am not 100% coverd on all the items that could come up. Also the scales can sometimes confuse me. So if you could run through the a guide for this question that would be good.

(3). Also any predictions as to what has a good chance of coming up would be helpful.

If you could give me a hand that would be much appreciated :).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭szybki

uvalues may come up q5 and q10 passive solar house. this is all i know. do you have any other ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Q7 is also always a drawing question (not compulsory) Q5 is a guaranteed u-value question and q10 is recently becoming a passive house question. After that it varies a lot imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Just a tip, if you ever freeze during a drawing and forget a measurement, try the best you can to guess it. Often they only look for 4 actual measurements in the marking scheme and then just give marks for parts labelled.

U-Value is free marks given away if you know how to do them. Definitely learn it and have it well covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Trev64

Hi Conor,
    View the presentation on www.constructionstudies.ie I've highlighted key revision topics there. Practice the drawings questions from HL2006. Think of scale as a fraction; so, 1:5 means draw it one fifth of actual size. For example, a 100mm object is drawn 20mm on the sheet. Also, listen in to 2fm Countdownto806 on 17th June @7pm; I'll be talking about preparing for the exam.
    Best of luck,
    Trevor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭C__MC

Hi Conor,
    View the presentation on www.constructionstudies.ie I've highlighted key revision topics there. Practice the drawings questions from HL2006. Think of scale as a fraction; so, 1:5 means draw it one fifth of actual size. For example, a 100mm object is drawn 20mm on the sheet. Also, listen in to 2fm Countdownto806 on 17th June @7pm; I'll be talking about preparing for the exam.
    Best of luck,
    Trevor

Do you reckon that q1 on 2006 could make a reapperance this year??:)

• Advertisement

If you look back as far as 2005 it seems a likely contender. I don't do predictions - I'm just saying it's one you'll definitely want to have prepared :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Hey Trev I was just wondering is there a definate list of drawings they can ask in Q1? Like could a drawing never seen in the last say 10 years come up? If yes then what would be likely?

Thanks

In theory anything could come up but if you focus on the Q.1's & Q.7's from 2005 onwards you should have it covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Broom16

Hi all

I am just wondering when does the teacher get to cover all the theory side of things in the final year? And or when does the teacher start talking about your projects?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Supersonic42

Your teacher should be getting you to start your project around now(6th yr). The theory could be done at the same time as project I.e. one/two classes a week or maybe after the project is finished, depends on the teacher.

• Advertisement
Advertisement