Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Cream: Cane Sugar

Options
  • 30-05-2011 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,

Does anyone know of any brand of ice cream that uses cane sugar? My nieces are not able to eat processed sugar and with the summer coming up it'd be great to find an icecream they could eat.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cane sugar does not automatically mean it is not processed, you can get pure white cane sugar. All it means is that it comes from sugar cane, while some sugars are from beet. I am not sure if beet sugar is about as much here now, it was uneconomical to grow here so I think it is all imported now.

I would be wary of guessing what is good or not though, you should ask their parents what ice-cream is OK. I am guessing they might mean unrefined sugar, but wonder if it is an actual allergy they have or just a notion that processed=bad and unprocessed=good. I know people who go overboard on foods like "low fat crisps" or "go ahead biscuits" or scoff 3 weightwatcher meals because they believe the marketing spin put on them.

I'd be looking at more expensive brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lizzy

It's their parents who have asked me to help with this. I'm sure you're right & I mean unrefined - I'm not very familiar with sugar lingo :D

This will probably sound defensive, but denying their children things isn't "just a notion".....it's based on long experience of a sick child after relatives ignored their instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

The problem is that I dont think anyone is going to be able to answer your
    question without exact information about what they have a food intolerance or allergy to.

The vast majority of sugar is made from cane, and all are refined or processed in some way in order to make sugar from the cane.

I dont think the term "unrefined" is legally defined, so you cant be sure what
    it means if someone claims that they only use unrefined sugar.

I would suggest that you find out what ingredient or process or exact type of
    sugar is acceptable, and contact some small Irish producers like these guys
    who are likely to be responsive to a question.

http://www.murphysicecream.ie/Murphys_Ice_Cream.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I can't help you with any brands I'm afraid OP, but if you get stuck you could always get an ice cream maker (There's a cheap one in lidl this week) and make your own:

http://www.makeicecream.com/sugicecreamr.html

Hope you find what you're looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Tesco or Dunnes stock diabetic ice cream that I presume is sugar-free. It's not great though. Kind of gritty. I don't know if it's in Tesco or Dunnes because it was bought by someone else. If it was a choice between that and no ice cream though I'd go with no ice cream. You could always make them some ice pops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lizzy

Great minds Phasers.....I had that very conversation with their Mum on Sunday when I saw the paper!

In case anyone else ever has a similar issue, we are going to try this recipe: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/03/banana-ice-cream-recipe/

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Advertisement