Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons why you should have owned/should own: The Nintendo Game Boy

Options
  • 30-05-2011 2:03pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ohboyohboyohboy! The Nintendo Gameboy, yay!
    175px-Nintendo_Gameboy.jpg
    The Game Boy (ゲームボーイ, Gēmu Bōi?), is an 8-bit handheld video game device developed and manufactured by Nintendo. It was released in Japan on April 21, 1989 (1989-04-21), in North America in August 1989 (1989-08), and in Europe on September 28, 1990 (1990-09-28). It is the first handheld console in the Game Boy line, and was created by Gunpei Yokoi and Nintendo Research & Development 1—the same staff who had designed the Game & Watch series as well as several popular games for the Nintendo Entertainment System
    The Game Boy is Nintendo's second handheld system following the Game & Watch series introduced in 1980, and it combined features from both the Nintendo Entertainment System and Game & Watch. It was originally bundled with the puzzle game Tetris.
    Despite many other, technologically superior handheld consoles introduced during its lifetime, the Game Boy was a tremendous success. The Game Boy and Game Boy Color combined have sold 118.69 million units worldwide. Upon its release in the United States, it sold its entire shipment of one million units within weeks.
    I have two of these babies! One when I was in hospital, mum got it for me back in '90 along with Tetris and Super Mario Land (I was in hospital for my birthday and by chance the game came out on that day.

After that I remember playing through Link's Awakening. Awesome game

And not to mention the Metal Gear game, Metroid, Pokémon Blue/Red.

Anyone who hasn't at least PLAYED the Game Boy has a hole in their gaming curriculum vitae pacman.gif

EDIT: Oh, and the Game Boy Camera and printer. I had a lot of lulz with that!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I have loads of them, and the camera, and the printer, and my personal favourite... the Pikachu edition :pac:

I really really want the modded chiptunes version though :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fantastic handheld. For such simple technology it really had some amazing games. The most impressive is X which was made by the same british team that made Starfox. Nintendo were so impressed that Argonaut managed to get a true 3D flight sim working on the GB that they hired them to create the super FX chip and to design Starfox.

Other greats games include Mole Mania, Castlevania 2, The GB Megaman games inparticular number 5, Kirbys Dreamland, the perennial Tetris, the Marioland and Warioland games.

One game that doesn't get the love it deserves is Donkey Kong which is amazing on the GB. It starts with the original levels but quickly morphs into a puzzle game with dozens of fiendish puzzle levels.

Then there's Pokemon. Still brilliant and one of the most indepth RPGs ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

LSDJ!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mole Mania was an absolutely superb puzzle game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Metroid 2 - ah what an awesome game...had two of these back in the day and lost both :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Links Awakening, what a game.

I still have my original gameboy someplace. I got it in 1989 on holiday in the States, made me quite the popular kid the day I brought it into school months before it came out over here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

:eek: Good grief, the memories!!

Brother won a load of these throughout the 90's in Nintendo competitions and flogged them all off bar the 1st one we got.

Still sits at home with all the other consoles and still works, compared to my piece of shìt 360 which bottomed out after a few months.

Last game I ever got for it was Turok. Jesus, that was a tough game.

Heh, I remember robbing AA batteries from anywhere I could find them to power the thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Did someone say chiptunes?? Have another one on the way too! Also have a load of stock GB/GBPs and games, but they're nowhere near as shiny.

gameboys3.jpg

gameboys2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Please be my friend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

ghostchant wrote: »
    Did someone say chiptunes?? Have another one on the way too! Also have a load of stock GB/GBPs and games, but they're nowhere near as shiny.

Lovely! That purple backlight looks great! :)

I made the stupid mistake of putting my chiptune modded GB in the attic while storing away loads of stuff. The moment it went up I wanted to play the thing. God damn! No way of finding it now until I take the whole lot down again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Got a nice little yellow one here got it off ebay last year, the original white one i had is loooooong gone sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Warioland!!! What a game! Also the Megaman 2 port was great on the go too!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭turnfan

+1 for Metroid 2. Best Game Ever. That end boss took 250 missiles IRRC!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I recently acquired Metroid 2 complete in box but I've no gameboy.Mine was stolen on my during a visit to the gaeltacht :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

My best mate had one since back in the early 90's, wasnt really taken care of at all yet it still works perfectly as far as I know. Probably the first console I really played come to think of it, great memories. Pokemon has to be my favourite game, spent hundreds of hours on it

• Registered Users Posts: 83,331 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

when they came out with the gameboy pocket I was like :eek:

The best though was being so hungry for a gameboy fix when I was short on batteries, I'd swap out the dead ones with pieces of tinfoil and put in the only 1 or 2 fresh ones I had left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

my first games console got it when i was 3 for christmas most durable thing ever. mine was dropped down stairs, left outside in rain and accidentally set on fire:o and its still working 18 years later even though it smells like diesel:pac:

• Kirbys dreamland! looking at the cartridge now, no colour on the sticker anymore but still works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I have mine sitting in a box under my bed, protected in a grey cover for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

NTMK wrote: »
    my first games console got it when i was 3 for christmas most durable thing ever. mine was dropped down stairs, left outside in rain and accidentally set on fire:o and its still working 18 years later even though it smells like diesel:pac:

This isn't it by any chance is it? :P

bombed-gameboy.jpg

• Advertisement

NotorietyH wrote: »

bombed-gameboy.jpg

Went to New York last year and of all the things to see and do, seeing this in the Nintendo Store was what I was most looking forward to :) (ok so Ellis Island was pretty cool too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

NotorietyH wrote: »

bombed-gameboy.jpg
    :eek: look that up there that survived a war most consoles now would break if you sneezed on them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i dunno if a gameboy could run la noire or oblivion though, so it's probably a trade off most people would be willing to make.

I'd rather play tetris, kirbys dreamland or mario land 2 than those two games.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd rather laye tetris, kirbys dreamland or mario land 2 than those two games.

What he said. I'll still playing the GB long after my xbox/ps3 consoles have bitten the dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd rather laye tetris, kirbys dreamland or mario land 2 than those two games.
    ghostchant wrote: »
    What he said. I'll still playing the GB long after my xbox/ps3 consoles have bitten the dust.

What they said!! GB is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭sonic85

i was addicted to world cup soccer for the gameboy - god it was class!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_World_Cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Haha that brings back memories! Stupidly easy but loved the fact you could basically kill the opposition players when you fouled them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Reasons to own a Gameboy? I honestly can't think of any reason why you would not want to own a Gameboy. That little grey box started me off on the rocky road of video games. I got it for xmas when I was about eight years old with Tetris and Fortress Of Fear. The rest, as they say, is history.

And just for fun, here's a nice tune about the Gameboy:
    http://youtu.be/iTBY2GFYyws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

oh man.. where to begin?

links awakening?
    marioland 2:six golden coins?
    mystic quest?
    pokemon blue but not red cause blue was way more awesome:cool:?
    kirby's dreamland?
    battletoads?
    double dragon 2?

jeebus I better stop there

Advertisement