Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons why you should have owned/should own: The Nintendo Game Boy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

must dig up my old one, if i can't find it going to go and buy one off ebay, 6 golden coins was my baby, had pokemon blue as well and one of those 50 in 1 (that had about 4 games that worked) that my nan brought back from spain

Had bomberman on it though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

allanb49 wrote: »
    one of those 50 in 1 (that had about 4 games that worked) that my nan brought back from spain

I used to collect those things. Best were the hacks, generally replacing original games with Pokemon characters. I played the hell out of Super Pikachu Land. I've recently been emulating my old GB library on the DS, still finding gems in the library all this time later. This guy actually does
    a blog which was once mostly about the Gameboy and its gems, he'll steer you in the right direction:

http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/noiseredux/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I was given one with Super Mario, 6 Golden Coins during December 1995. I completed the game in 1995, 1996, 2001 and 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I was given one with Super Mario, 6 Golden Coins during December 1995. I completed the game in 1995, 1996, 2001 and 2009.

what the hell happened to 97 98 99 and 00

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

deathrider wrote: »
    I got it for xmas when I was about eight years old with Tetris and Fortress Of Fear.

Picked up Fortress of Fear a few weeks ago in Rage for €5, bought it because I thought the name was cool:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Ah man, I got a Game Boy in '91/'92 and my favourite game for it was Probably Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. So much inspired imagination put in to that game. Remember the ghosts you came across that creeped up on you when your back was turned but then froze still when you faced them. Brilliant. Also the swimming zone/mission were cool.

memories...

I also had Track & Field and some others I can't remember. It's about 20 years ago now. I had a set of accessories for it too. Magnifying glass, light and attachable speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

pdbhp wrote: »
    Picked up Fortress of Fear a few weeks ago in Rage for €5, bought it because I thought the name was cool:D

I spent an unhealthy amount of time and battery power on that game. Great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

My first games console was a Gameboy Pocket, came with a case and Super Mario: 6 Golden Coins IIRC. Spent an unhealthy amount of time on it, damn thing nearly bankrupted me with the cost of those bloody triple A batteries :D
    The games that stick out in memory best for me would have to be the Pokemon range of games, I remember finding a bug in one of the games where you could duplicate the number of Pokemon by turning the Gameboy off at the right moment during a save. Made finishing the game much easier ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,331 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

until they released pokemon that was the only game worth playing :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Overheal wrote: »
    until they released pokemon that was the only game worth playing :)

Nothing is further from the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Ah man, I got a Game Boy in '91/'92 and my favourite game for it was Probably Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. So much inspired imagination put in to that game. Remember the ghosts you came across that creeped up on you when your back was turned but then froze still when you faced them. Brilliant. Also the swimming zone/mission were cool.

memories...
    That brings back so many memories!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

krudler wrote: »
    Links Awakening, what a game.

I still have my original gameboy someplace. I got it in 1989 on holiday in the States, made me quite the popular kid the day I brought it into school months before it came out over here :D

Links Awakening was a great game!

I gave my Gameboy to some guy I didn't know very well. He's a bit of a junkie now, so I'll probably never get it back. Still have my Gameboy Colour though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Ah yes the old gameboy. I remember finding my Gameboy on Christmas eve in the presents hiding place.:D

It was the pack with tetris and Mario & yoshi. Ah memories.

My favourites were many but the ones that stand out are, Super Mario Land 2:six golden coins, Pokemon red, alien 3 and Killer instinct.

I downloaded the game boy app for the iPhone recently and it's great to play these again.

Ah yes the old gameboy. I remember finding my Gameboy on Christmas eve in the presents hiding place.:D

It was the pack with tetris and Mario & yoshi. Ah memories.

My favourites were many but the ones that stand out are, Super Mario Land 2:six golden coins, Pokemon red, alien 3 and Killer instinct.

I downloaded the game boy app for the iPhone recently and it's great to play these again.

I actually spotted Killer Instinct in Rage in Dublin ther eon saturday. I was stunned that there was a Gameboy version of it.

I actually spotted Killer Instinct in Rage in Dublin ther eon saturday. I was stunned that there was a Gameboy version of it.

I have it on Gameboy, it's total garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I somehow ended up with two copies of it. Not great but wouldn't say it was total garbage, I had fun with it. There's so many better games to play on the GB though.

Ah, but it was a blinder on the Snes! Besides, Gameboy was never really made to play fighters on.

ghostchant wrote: »
    I somehow ended up with two copies of it. Not great but wouldn't say it was total garbage, I had fun with it. There's so many better games to play on the GB though.

Well it was more of a generalisation of all fighters on GB as it didn't have the horsepower to pull off games like that. That said GB is still my favourite console of all times.
    Ah, but it was a blinder on the Snes! Besides, Gameboy was never really made to play fighters on.

True KI on SNES was great as was SFII and other fighters, the SNES came along at just the right time and with enough ooomph to play great games like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Same, I was playing mine for about a month before christmas anytime my mother left the house and then i'd throw it back in when she got back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I recently acquired Metroid 2 complete in box but I've no gameboy.Mine was stolen on my during a visit to the gaeltacht :(

You were'nt in Colaiste Ciaran were you? Same thing happenned to me :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

NotorietyH wrote: »
    This isn't it by any chance is it? :P

bombed-gameboy.jpg

Really puts Sony and Microsoft into perspective, doesn't it? I love Nintendo, such reliable products, and I hope their new console will bring back the glory days of the SNES and NES. I no longer have my GB but have a GBA SP so I can still play GB carts.

Links awakening gets my vote as the best game boy experiance. I'm really looking forward to it being released on 3DS virtual console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You were'nt in Colaiste Ciaran were you? Same thing happenned to me :mad:

Colaiste Choilm I think.

This thread really makes me want to get an old school GB now.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Colaiste Choilm I think.

This thread really makes me want to get an old school GB now.

Get a GB Pocket they're the best, great screen, easy on the batteries and a huge library of brilliant titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

I thought KI on the GB was fairly decent, especially when you compare it to the first Mortal Kombat game. The GB had a decent version of SF2. It had moves and presentation from Super Street fighter but only Hyper fighting characters, and Dhalsim, Honda and Vega were missing.

Real Bout Fatal Fury was pretty good too. SNK had the right idea in going for the super deformed style instead of trying to pack everything in from the console version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

Lasted in the store shelves for 12ys no gaming console has ever last that long yet.

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    Lasted in the store shelves for 12ys no gaming console has ever last that long yet.

The NES/famicom, Atari 2600, C64 beat it off the top of my head. It lasted less than 12 years unless you are counting the gameboy colour which was a different console.

Advertisement