Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest rice in Dublin area - where?

Options
  • 30-05-2011 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Need to buy like 10-20kg, checked out some Indian/Chinese shops in the area (Dublin 6) but its still like €1.50 / kg. Any cheaper place (all Dublin)?

Sorry if that's not the best place to ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What kind of rice? Its like asking the price of a litre of oil.
    Sushi, Basmati, Long grain, short grain, Pudding, Arborio?
    To be fair 1.50/kg isn't bad for decent rice and if you buy a 10-20kg sack they are usually cheaper than buying smaller bags.
    Try the bigger Asian supermarkets like Georges st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Sorry for being not specific, I need any rice (cheap). Do not need fancy one, just wonder if there is any advantage to buy 20kg over 1kg packs from Lidl/Aldi/Tesco?

Georges st. - do you mean Asia Market?
    http://www.asiamarket.ie/ie/location.html
    I know them and they are quite cheap for such location. I expected to be some cheaper shops in North Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Try the shop in the Islamic Cultural Center in Clonskeagh.

they lhave a number of different types and qualites of rice in large bags,
    at much better value than the supermarkets./

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

huskerdu wrote: »
    Try the shop in the Islamic Cultural Center in Clonskeagh.

they lhave a number of different types and qualites of rice in large bags,
    at much better value than the supermarkets./

I know the place - but I never imagine that there is food shop there. Must see, maybe they have more interesting stuff there. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

zom wrote: »
    I know the place - but I never imagine that there is food shop there. Must see, maybe they have more interesting stuff there. Thanks!

Its a great shop. Lots of different and interesting ingredients and sauces.

Well worth a visit.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

there is a chinese supermarket at the luas stop accross from the jervis luas stop. I don't know the prices but i had a peep in and saw that they had huge bags of rice! Prob 8 or 10 kg! I'm sure if you're buying it at that amount it has to be cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Both Lidl and Tesco sell rice at €1.19 per kilo. The Lidl rice is much better though.

Advertisement