Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to ghee?

Options
  • 30-05-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Butter
    but it will burn easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I would look up another recipe for what you're planning on making and see what they suggest. I cooked Indian a few weeks ago and a recipe for korma I liked called for ghee, so I just searched loads of other recipes for korma and substituted the ghee for regular butter cos some recipes said I could. Another thing I've noticed that some recipes say you can use veg oil instead of ghee, but you're better off seeing what your specific recipe allows.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you can't get ghee in the shops it's pretty easy to make yourself. It's basically just clarified (preferably unsalted) butter. Pure butter still has the milk solids in it which is what burns when you heat it too much. Ghee doesn't do this.

Beware though that there is also "vegetable ghee" for sale, which is really only a hydrogenated (i.e. solidified) vegetable oil, so you may as well just use ordinary vegetable oil instead.

The real thing is usually described as "pure butter ghee" or something like that, usually with a picture of a cow or two on the tin just to drive the point home! :)

Alun wrote: »
    If you can't get ghee in the shops it's pretty easy to make yourself. It's basically just clarified (preferably unsalted) butter. Pure butter still has the milk solids in it which is what burns when you heat it too much. Ghee doesn't do this.

Beware though that there is also "vegetable ghee" for sale, which is really only a hydrogenated (i.e. solidified) vegetable oil, so you may as well just use ordinary vegetable oil instead.

The real thing is usually described as "pure butter ghee" or something like that, usually with a picture of a cow or two on the tin just to drive the point home! :)

I looked into making it before but the website called for leaving it to sit for 6 months or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just use clarified butter, essentially the same thing

• Advertisement

ElleEm wrote: »
    I looked into making it before but the website called for leaving it to sit for 6 months or something!
    Don't know what that's all about! It's just basically melting a load of unsalted butter in a pan and gently simmering until the milk solids start to separate and solidify, turning from white to a golden colour. Then strain through muslin.

Alun wrote: »
    Don't know what that's all about! It's just basically melting a load of unsalted butter in a pan and gently simmering until the milk solids start to separate and solidify, turning from white to a golden colour. Then strain through muslin.

Damn my speed reading! Just checked recipes there and it says it KEEPS for 6 months. My mistake.

Will definitly be making some now!

Thanks Alun.

ElleEm wrote: »
    Damn my speed reading! Just checked recipes there and it says it KEEPS for 6 months. My mistake.
    :D Yeah, seeing as the milk solids have been removed, which is the bit of butter that makes it "go off", all you're left with is pure butter fat (assuming you've strained it properly.) You need to keep it in an airtight container, but there's no need to keep it refrigerated.

Advertisement