Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Did I see?

• 30-05-2011 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Folks,

I'm an amateur enthusist so wondering if anyone slightly more expert could help me out. Saw a bird that was new to me and just curious as to what it is. Looked up BWI and RSPB without any resolution.

Was on the Miner's Road in Glendalough and saw a small bird (smaller than a thrush, bigger than a tit) It looked something like a Yellow Wagtail:

Yellow/greenish wash to its breast
    Not as buff as a Wagtail. A slimmer bird if that makes sense.
    Matt, or as close as I could make out to be matt, black wings (not mottled like a wagtail)
    When in flight - obvious white flashes on upper-side of the tail feathers. These were not on the extreme outer edges of the upper-surface (again, like a wagtail) but angled down from the bird's body - very obvious black-white-black pattern.
    Unsure if bird had a cap or what colour it was.

Do any likely candidates suggest themselves? or am I imagining the differences between Wagtails and my example.

Any suggestions very welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

Grey wagtail maybe. Ger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

From the location and the general description you probaby saw a female Northern Wheatear. A Northern wheatear will only fly a short distance when flushed (10 m) and can be quite tame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sounds like a Female Grey Wagtail to me. A female Wheatear has very obvious Orange on the breast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Sounds like a Female Grey Wagtail to me. A female Wheatear has very obvious Orange on the breast.
    Female Northern wheatear don't have very obvious orange on breast. Buff colour at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's an obvious Orange tinge and certainly not the Yellow/Green described by the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Clip-Clop

Thanks for the heads up re Wheatear everyone.

Have spent far too long looking at photos of the two and trying to figure out what it was (also briefly considered the whinchat after spotting it in the Natural History Museum, but discounted now).

If I had to put my house on it I'd go with the Wheatear but only because the way the Wagtail hold their tails is so iconic and I'd like to think that I would have spotted that.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for him next time I'm there and let you know.

Advertisement