Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College with maths

Options
  • 30-05-2011 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Just a quick query. I know a person very colse to me who is wondering what is the best way to get into education when they completed a very good leaving cert but failed maths. I know there is a possibiliy of doing a plc course for a year but do any collees in Ireland allow individuals access to courses if they failed maths. This person is 23 in July and just too young for a mature student but doesn't want to hang around for a nother year doing nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

It depends on the course. Some require Maths, some don't. Do you know what course they are interested in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

The IGC produces a directory of Leaving Cert Entry Requirements each year. It details the subjects required to access each course in the country. If this person can speak to a guidance counsellor they might be able to get a copy of this. There are a number of courses where LC Maths is not a requirement but not very many.
    For starters none of the courses in Carlow College specify a Maths requirement and many of the Hospitality Industry, Social Studies/Care or Art courses likewise don't look for Maths.
    http://www.qualifax.ie lists all the courses in the country with the relevant entry requirements also.

Advertisement