Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best bag of chips in Galway?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Capones

/drool
    Really? Anytime I've got Capone's chips you can taste that the oil hasn't been changed in ages and there's a bang of fish off them.

Im not a big fan of the type of chips served in McDonaghs and other similar places, too thick and greasy and you never feel right after them.

To be honest if having plain chips, i.e. not taco or curry etc Id chose McDonald's over anything, they are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I would love to travel the 120 miles from here just to have some McDonaghs chips + curry sauce and chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

marcusgunn wrote: »
    Went there once about 6 yrs ago. Had garlic chips. Found a thick black pubic hair in my garlic sauce within a few seconds.
    Wouldn't be easily put off my food, but this was stomach churning.

Never been back
    that post should have had a health warning, i was just about to make some food, gonna give it a while now. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Had McDonagh's recently, great chips have to say...proper chips as opposed to fries. It's shameful they import their cod though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

gandroid wrote: »
    Had McDonagh's recently, great chips have to say...proper chips as opposed to fries. It's shameful they import their cod though.

All Cod is imported ...very little fish got off these shores anymore.

All Cod is imported ...very little fish got off these shores anymore.

Oh there's plenty fish caught off these shores, it's just that Irish trawlers are not allowed to land much of it.

Oh there's plenty fish caught off these shores, it's just that Irish trawlers are not allowed to land much of it.

So how are McDonaghs supposed to sell Irish Cod?

So how are McDonaghs supposed to sell Irish Cod?

By sourcing it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Robbo wrote: »
    Really? Anytime I've got Capone's chips you can taste that the oil hasn't been changed in ages and there's a bang of fish off them.

They've been very good of late....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

ive never got the fuzz with mcdonaghs, ate there a few times, average. chips okay, like ya would get in most places e.g nico's , la salsa, vinnies, norio's. chicken want great. prefer supermac's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

the chips in bar8 are unreal!

but for a normal bag of chippies I'd have to say McDonaghs even though most galwegians I know hate it!

kebeb house curry cheese chips nyom nyom

By sourcing it here.

Not viable unfortunatley.

Not viable unfortunatley.

In terms of price? Or what do you mean? It may well be an economical issue but if more Irish businesses helped their own and insisted on Irish produce (including fish) maybe our fishing industry could lobby for a fairer quota of what is our fish and support more jobs....anyway sin scéal eile as they say...and this thread was about chips in Galway I believe! :p

Mr Keek wrote: »
    'Marios' near Gleann na Ri out by Merlin park

Do you mean "Norios"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Harry Fitz for me. Although they're less than half the size from when they opened! Still a good feed for one in them though.

In terms of price? Or what do you mean? It may well be an economical issue but if more Irish businesses helped their own and insisted on Irish produce (including fish) maybe our fishing industry could lobby for a fairer quota of what is our fish and support more jobs....anyway sin scéal eile as they say...and this thread was about chips in Galway I believe! :p

Manufacturers like Donegal Catch actually import most of their fish , it's processed here therefore they're entitled to call it Irish, All the big Irish distributors import the majority of their fish from the Nordic countries, sad but true, so McDonaghs really have no chance ...nice chips though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

Anyone tried that new place JD's Kitchen in middle street?
    they've a logo that looks like cap'n birdseye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

had cod n chips on friday in harry fitz, cod was nice size,batter was lovley, chips were grand,7 out of ten for the chips, a tad undercooked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

had harry fitz on saturday after a few drinks hanging around the main stage for the latin festival...thought it was poor to be honest chips were way undercooked and my mates chicken goujons were burnt to a crisp...probaly wont head back there tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

After reading this thread, I went to Harry Fitz on Saturday evening. I had intended just to get a bag of chips but I got some fish (whiting) as well.

I really liked the chips, they had a great taste and were very chunky :)
    Pity that the portion was quite small :(
    (the fish was very tasty too, except it had alot of bones).

Overall, I'll definitely be going back there again if I want a bag of chips!
    (I've yet to try Jack Jordans in Doughiska, and I gave up on Vinnies on Dominick St. a good while ago).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Went to Harry Fitz a while back, chips were nice but the staff were rude which will put me off going back there again, oh and this was during the day when there was only 1 other customer so it wasnt like they were rude because of a busy night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

tried Jack Duggans last night. Slow service but thats okay when they are new. Got Chicken Fillet Burger and chips. Fillet was fresh and cooked nicely but little lacking in flavour. Chips however were very good, skin on, and chunky and a decnt portion. They are opening till 3a.m Fri and Sat nights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gerrybbb

Jack Jordans is hard to beat in terms of a bag of chips or the fish. Would have been a huge fan of Mc Donaghs but just to hard to drop in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭pateen

not too sure if this has been posted already but the 'Takeaway Chonamara' van/trailer thats usually in Maam Cross on saturdays and any other big days is by far the best imo. Like as far as i know the ingredients and veg used is bought fresh from a fruit 'n' veg stall on the day! Oh and dont get me started on the curry... yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

pateen wrote: »
    Oh and dont get me started on the curry... yum!

Ah go on, get started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭pateen

aha cough cough, (damn, was hoping no-one would notice i said that) yeah, its really nice, you should try it sometime!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

gerrybbb wrote: »
    Jack Jordans is hard to beat in terms of a bag of chips or the fish. Would have been a huge fan of Mc Donaghs but just to hard to drop in.

Jack Jordans is also offering gluten free fish, chips and curry sauce etc among other things. Great to see as I don't think many places in Galway cater for these kind of needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AlanBr

Anyone else notice the standard of chips in Supermacs can be just awful?..Yesterday I bought a bag and the chips were rotten and a few were green in places:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

scourmacs it is sometimes,other times i get a craving for supermacs

Advertisement