Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best bag of chips in Galway?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

AlanBr wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the standard of chips in Supermacs can be just awful?..Yesterday I bought a bag and the chips were rotten and a few were green in places:eek:
    Havent eaten in Smacs in about two years and i wont be in any rush, always get a 'dodgy tum' after it. Only place that does it to my otherwise solid digestive system :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AlanBr

Yea Supermacs is pretty bad alright...however ye might not agree with me but I adore the chips in Eddie Rockets:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭JimiWonderDoor 92

Mario's or McDonagh's... great with the fish obviously but the chicken and chips is savage as well

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cobear

Can't beat Nicos or McDonaghs!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Do_Lers

MacDonnaghs chips, wish lashings and lashings of vinegar. Yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

AlanBr wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the standard of chips in Supermacs can be just awful?..Yesterday I bought a bag and the chips were rotten and a few were green in places:eek:

Did you tell them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

i actually think that i make the best chips in galway,they usualy end up on a plate not in a bag though,

cant beat homemade chips, salt n vinegar,aromat
    fresh butterd bread
    omm nomm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

barone wrote: »
    i actually think that i make the best chips in galway,they usualy end up on a plate not in a bag though,

cant beat homemade chips, salt n vinegar,aromat
    fresh butterd bread
    omm nomm
    Mmmmmmmmm carcinogenic aromat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NiCiarain

+1 for homemade chips
    Jack Jordans is also offering gluten free fish, chips and curry sauce etc among other things. Great to see as I don't think many places in Galway cater for these kind of needs.

Myself and the OH went into Jack Jordans last week to avail of gluten free fish and chips, was looking forward to them all day and drove all the way from Salthill to get them. When we got there they told us that it was only available on the first tuesday of every month :(. Pretty dissapointed as I didn't see that anywhere in all the advertising they did. So not really a great thing afterall, kind of wondering why they even bother offering it at all.

NiCiarain wrote: »
    +1 for homemade chips

Myself and the OH went into Jack Jordans last week to avail of gluten free fish and chips, was looking forward to them all day and drove all the way from Salthill to get them. When we got there they told us that it was only available on the first tuesday of every month :(. Pretty dissapointed as I didn't see that anywhere in all the advertising they did. So not really a great thing afterall, kind of wondering why they even bother offering it at all.

publicity no doubt,got you there eh,buy anything?

hate that kinda semi false advertising

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 JackJordans

Barone...its on the First saturday of every month....the next one being the 6th August...website and facebook page stated this also radio broadcasts and interviews on the day also stated it....sorry for the confusion:o I know a press release did go out and it didnt have this clear in it...apologies for that so trying to get the word around now

Barone...its on the First saturday of every month....the next one being the 6th August...website and facebook page stated this also radio broadcasts and interviews on the day also stated it....sorry for the confusion:o I know a press release did go out and it didnt have this clear in it...apologies for that so trying to get the word around now

discounts for boardsies?

ah go on,ya know ya wanna

watch this space :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Had a fresh cod and large chips from Jack Jordans tonight and was very disappointed with the size of the portions. Compared to Giovannis in Oranmore and Lucas in Athenry the fish was around 1 third or half the size and the large chips was around a supermacs size portion. A large chips usually fills a dinner plate from the other two.

Taste wise to me the chips were about the same with the fish not as nice as giovannis and the OH thought they were nicer than either of the above.

Hi

My name is James and I am the owner of Jack Jordan's. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding your meal at Jack Jordan's. We accept and welcome your feedback and see it as an opportunity to improve. I would like to confirm that our fish is portioned on site with each portion weighting 160g which is larger than the industry average of 140g . Our Fish sizes may differ but the amount of fish in a portion would be the same e.g. some portions may be longer and thinner and others shorter and thicker which on appearance could look smaller.

Our fish is delivered fresh and is a far more superior and costly product to fresh frozen fish which is used by the majority of take aways including some well known names. Our batter is homemade and results in a thinner coating which could also affect the appearance again making the portion appear smaller. The reality is that most takeaways portion size (unbattered) is about 140g average but as the batter expands and is much heavier than our it appears to be a much larger portion overall but has a smaller and inferior fish content.

Regarding our chip portions, we have never received any negative comments on portion size, in fact its been quite the opposite. Typically our chip portions would be nearly twice the size of a supermacs chip portions. Also our chips are home cut chips so wouldn't normally be compared to Supermacs chips. To finish, and so as you feel that i am not discounting your experience or views in any way, I wish to acknowledge that you may indeed have received a smaller portion but would like to assure you that if that was the case it was the exception rather than the rule and I hope you’ll revisit our shop again and allow us the opportunity to prove this to you.

Regards
    James

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

tbf My issue with JackJordans is that there are(usualy) too many chips with the portions, trying to turn me into a fatty!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Since moving from Dublin I frequently bemoaned the paucity of decent fish and chip shops here in Galway. In Dublin in any given area there were at least three or four in any given area and they were all usually very good. Not enough Italians moved here I guess.

Having toured the whole scene here I recently tried Jack Jordan's for the first time. Pleasantly surprised, went back a second time to see if it was a fluke. It wasn't, the chips were just how they should be as was the Burgers. A proper fish and chip shop.

The only flaw I see is that it's the other side of town, that's OK when I'm passing it on the way home from work. Not so handy when I fancy some chips after a beer or two.

So Jack, any chance of opening one in Salthill? The natural address for a Fish and Chip shop. The one's here are not up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I don't get the big cultish Galway thing that surrounds McDonagh's. Anytime I've been there, it's been either average or just disappointing. There seems to be a bit of a lack of Italian chippers in the City, which is surprising as they're usually the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Can't fault the chips in Capone's in Knocknacarra, my new fave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Hi

My name is James and I am the owner of Jack Jordan's. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding your meal at Jack Jordan's. We accept and welcome your feedback and see it as an opportunity to improve. I would like to confirm that our fish is portioned on site with each portion weighting 160g which is larger than the industry average of 140g . Our Fish sizes may differ but the amount of fish in a portion would be the same e.g. some portions may be longer and thinner and others shorter and thicker which on appearance could look smaller.

Our fish is delivered fresh and is a far more superior and costly product to fresh frozen fish which is used by the majority of take aways including some well known names. Our batter is homemade and results in a thinner coating which could also affect the appearance again making the portion appear smaller. The reality is that most takeaways portion size (unbattered) is about 140g average but as the batter expands and is much heavier than our it appears to be a much larger portion overall but has a smaller and inferior fish content.

Regarding our chip portions, we have never received any negative comments on portion size, in fact its been quite the opposite. Typically our chip portions would be nearly twice the size of a supermacs chip portions. Also our chips are home cut chips so wouldn't normally be compared to Supermacs chips. To finish, and so as you feel that i am not discounting your experience or views in any way, I wish to acknowledge that you may indeed have received a smaller portion but would like to assure you that if that was the case it was the exception rather than the rule and I hope you’ll revisit our shop again and allow us the opportunity to prove this to you.

Regards
    James

I appreciate the response James, I used the supermacs comparison only in relation to portion size. I'm used to getting a lot more chips from the other chippers mentioned above and usually get a large between the two of us. Maybe I just get spoiled in there and I should be cutting back a bit :)

I'll pay another visit again sometime because there has been consistently good reviews for your products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭The Belcher

Where exactly is Jack Jordans folks, I'd like to try it? I live out near Monaghons petrol station on the Tuam Road, is it anywhere near that side of town?

I ate in the fish and chip shop near Tigh Coilis a few weeks ago (can't remember the name of it), I have to say it was superb, loads of thick home made chips and 3 pieces of mackerel in the fish box when I opened it. Everything was cooked to perfection and it kept well in the taxi journey home also. I thought it was miles ahead of mcDonaghs myself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Where exactly is Jack Jordans folks, I'd like to try it? I live out near Monaghons petrol station on the Tuam Road, is it anywhere near that side of town?

I ate in the fish and chip shop near Tigh Coilis a few weeks ago (can't remember the name of it), I have to say it was superb, loads of thick home made chips and 3 pieces of mackerel in the fish box when I opened it. Everything was cooked to perfection and it kept well in the taxi journey home also. I thought it was miles ahead of mcDonaghs myself.

Just drive past the LIDL on the doughiska rd if you're coming from the city and it is on your right.
    just-eat shows where it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Had a fresh cod and large chips from Jack Jordans tonight and was very disappointed with the size of the portions. Compared to Giovannis in Oranmore and Lucas in Athenry the fish was around 1 third or half the size and the large chips was around a supermacs size portion. A large chips usually fills a dinner plate from the other two.

Taste wise to me the chips were about the same with the fish not as nice as giovannis and the OH thought they were nicer than either of the above.

I have the opposite experience. My usual spot is Jack Jordan's but I went to Giovannis because I've moved out to Oranmore. Got myself a snack box. Would have got more chicken in a chicken nugget from McDonalds. But in saying that my sister got a pizza and it was delish.

Think I'll stick with Jack's for my snack box's though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

That Harry Fitz place on shop st. that opened recently does some pretty good chips.
    That's of you like real fresh cut chips though. Not the frozen shoite they seem to peddle everywhere these days.
    +1 for Harry Fitz.
    Had rotten ones in Pizza Shack last week, tasted like the oil had cooked about a million pieces of fish prior to my chips.
    +1 for Harry Fitz. Really nice, chunky handcut. Nice fish too.

Advertisement