Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cancelling Sky

• 30-05-2011 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Need a few answers to the following questions.

1. If I cancel Sky will I keep the programmes I have recorded to the Sky box?

2. If I cancel sky will I still be able to record programmes?

I will probably think of a few more later

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

1, Yes, but you wont be able to view them.
    2, No

to test what you will get unplug the box remove the viewing card, reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

John mac wrote: »
    1, Yes, but you wont be able to view them.
    2, No

to test what you will get unplug the box remove the viewing card, reboot.

thanks, so I should copy the programmes I want to keep to a dvd recorder?

Will I then be able to record programmes to the dvd recorder from the sky box when I cancel?

Any recommendations on a dvd recorder to get? I was looking at the one below

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5338942/Trail/searchtext%3EDVD+RECORDER.htm

no, you must have a sub to play the recording.

John mac wrote: »
    no, you must have a sub to play the recording.

but if I have the programmes copied to a vcr/dvd will it not work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

You will need to do your recordings to dvd etc before cancellingf your subcription, however some dvd player will not be able to record from a sky box as they have build into macroproctection as especially on the movies to stop you from doing this.,

• Advertisement

think I might just cancel espn, sports and multiroom so.

If I cancel multiroom will I still get some channels on that tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Arthur Scargill

Munster Magic, if you cancel multiroom you will loose the subscription channels and sky+ functionality in that room. You will keep the free to air channels though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

You will also loose the RTE1,2, tv3, 3e, tg4. But these are available for free on Saorview.

You can now buy a FTA box for €63 plus postage (about €15) that does all the British and Irish stations in one channel list - and yes its legal. And you can record on it to a pen drive/hard drive with no restrictions.

You would get these channels FREE. (not many people realise that the most basic channels on Sky are mainly stations that are actually free to air - why would you pay Sky/UPC for something that is legally free)

1 RTÉ 1
    2 RTE 2 HD
    3 TV 3
    4 TG 4
    5 3e
    6 RTE News Now
    7 RTE+1
    5 BBC 1 HD
    6 BBC 2 NI
    7 BBC HD
    8 UTV
    9 ITV1 HD
    10 Channel 4 HD
    11 Channel 4 +1
    12 FIVE
    13 E4
    14 E4+1
    15 More4
    16 More4 +1
    17 BBC Three
    18 BBC Four
    19 ITV2
    20 ITV2+1
    21 ITV3
    22 ITV3+1
    23 ITV4
    24 ITV4+1
    25 Film4
    26 Film4 +1
    28 BBC NEWS
    29 Sky News Ireland
    30 CNN
    31 CNBC
    32 Bloomberg
    33 Euronews
    34 CBBC Channel
    35 CBeebies
    36 CITV
    37 POP
    38 Tiny Pop
    39 Tiny Pop +1
    40 Kix!
    41 PopGirl
    42 PopGirl +1
    43 jazeerachildren
    44 CBS Action
    45 CBS Drama
    46 CBS Reality+1
    47 Zone Horror
    48 Zone Horror+1
    49 Film24
    50 True Movies
    51 True Movies 2
    52 movies4men
    53 mov4men+1
    54 movies4men 2
    55 mov4men2 +1
    56 BBC ALBA
    57 BBC PARL'MNT
    58 S4C
    59 S4C2
    60 Luxe TV HD
    61 Fitness TV
    62 Men & Motors
    63 Horse & Country
    64 Fashion TV
    65 wedding tv
    66 BET
    67 BET +1
    68 Food Network
    69 Food Netwrk+1
    70 Rural TV
    71 Controversial tv
    72 Sumo TV
    73 The Vault
    74 Chart Show TV
    75 NME TV
    76 Flava
    77 Bliss
    78 Scuzz
    79 Flaunt
    80 ROCKWORLDTV
    81 Clubland TV
    82 oMusic TV
    83 BBC STREAM-0
    84 BBC STREAM-1
    85 BBC STREAM-2
    86 BBC STREAM-3
    87 BBC STREAM-4
    88 STREAM-5
    89 STREAM-6
    90 T7 STRM-0
    91 T7 STRM-1
    92 Al Jazeera Eng
    93 France 24
    94 Russia Today
    95 PTV Prime
    96 Abu Dhabi TV
    97 PCNE Chinese
    98 QVC
    99 Thane Direct
    100 Travel Channel
    101 Travel Ch +1
    102 JML Direct
    103 JML CookShop
    104 Ideal World
    105 Ideal World 2
    106 Ideal World 3

You get the idea. No further bills from Sky. Disconnect your Sky box and connect that cable to the new box (it uses your existing dish which requires no adjustment). Get rid of the Sky box, once you do you will be rid of them forever. I dont miss the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭masalbeagdubh

My five year old sky box is giving trouble. It will cost at least €100 Euro for a callout to get it fixed. I was thinking of getting a free to air system instead. Does anyone know how much they should cost for the standard channels and if its possible to get any sports channels with these packages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jhud

My five year old sky box is giving trouble. It will cost at least €100 Euro for a callout to get it fixed. I was thinking of getting a free to air system instead. Does anyone know how much they should cost for the standard channels and if its possible to get any sports channels with these packages?

You could buy a second hand box and that would get you back on sky again.
    There are some on adverts.ie would be a lot less then €100. Then if the card will not work ring sky and ask them to pair your card to the new box.

As for free to air you would not have rte unless you get the aerial and either compatable tv or the soarview box.

The sports channels are not available to free to air that is not any good ones anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

STB wrote: »
    You will also loose the RTE1,2, tv3, 3e, tg4. But these are available for free on Saorview.

You can now buy a FTA box for €63 plus postage (about €15) that does all the British and Irish stations in one channel list - and yes its legal. And you can record on it to a pen drive/hard drive with no restrictions.

You get the idea. No further bills from Sky. Disconnect your Sky box and connect that cable to the new box (it uses your existing dish which requires no adjustment). Get rid of the Sky box, once you do you will be rid of them forever. I dont miss the bills.

So just a switch of box and I'll get the Saorview channels RTEHD etc from my existing dish?

Dymo wrote: »
    So just a switch of box and I'll get the Saorview channels RTEHD etc from my existing dish?

NO.

you get the bbc itv and other channels as posted above from the Satellite dish,

The Saorview channels via an AERIAL.

If you use a Combo box..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They may give you that €5 Irish channels only monthly sub and you could access the recordings with that as it is a live card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They may give you that €5 Irish channels only monthly sub and you could access the recordings with that as it is a live card.

Is this €5 sub not just an urban myth? I asked Sky about it before and they claimed no knowledge of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

We had an old box and Sky were doing a special promotion for the Sky+ for new customers , it would give us the same package we had plus the Sky+ box for cheaper than we were paying , so we cancelled my subscription and took the new offer in my Husbands name.

Advertisement