Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Becoming a Tattoo Apprentice.

Options
  • 30-05-2011 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Helloo (:
    just wondering if anyone could help me out here ,
    im just finished school , (well doing me leavin next week :S)
    and i want to become a tattoo artist. xD
    but it seems to be impossible to get an apprentice anywhere in dublin :(
    i plan to do a portfolio prep course next year and then go to ncad,
    but i really want to get into the tattooing industry.

so if anyone has any advice or knows anywhere that is looking for an apprentice it would be really appreciated (:
    thanks

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I wouldn't know of any places, but I will warn you:

Be prepared to earn next to nothing.

A friend of mine has been an apprentice for several years now, and still makes very little money (And of what he makes he has to contribute to the rent of the shop + tutoring money to his boss).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It's a very tough industry to get into. You'll have to dedicate years to the industry and it's hard work and long hours for little pay. Best thing to do would be to do your leaving, go to college and get your degree and the pursue it. It's a full time job and you're better off having a degree to fall back on if you don't get an apprenticeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

My advice is be in your twenties, with an extensive portfolio of work that shows you are actually an artist regardless of you also wanting to tattoo.

I maintain that it isn't half as difficult to get an apprentceship as everyone claims - it just more work and dedication than they expected or believe they should have to make

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Honestly? You think a 2/6 week course in Thailand is going to give someone the full training and experience needed to be a tattoo artist, or even get them an apprenticeship? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

I know a fella in dublin working as a full time artist just from this course.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

Let's see some of his work then.

Also, **** those courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I know a fella in dublin working as a full time artist just from this course.

there are lads selling valium at tara street who didn't bother doing a pharmacy degree too! on to a winner there....

Advertisement