Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo County Council renewing Driver's Licence

Options
  • 30-05-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Have just been informed by Mayo County Council that my Driver's Licence will take 6 weeks to be renewed- left it in 3 weeks ago and need it for next week. Has they happened to anyone else before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Get on to your local TD or a county councillor and explain your circumstances. If you have a valid reason I'm sure he/she can bump you up.

Looks like the redundancies announced at the council may be affecting productivity to an under resourced front line service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

If you dont need it for any reason more than driving with it... wont the receipt that they give you suffice if you are pulled over ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

I live near Swinford, it was the same story for me last year. I kept the receipt in my wallet but wasn't pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

I need it for next week and I can say the staff over there aren't very polite or helpful. I will get onto my Local Councillor and hopefully he can do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Can you complain to someone higher up in the council?
    I've had the opposite experience in Galway, needed a replacement licence last year as I couldn't find mine and was heading to Canada the following week where I was renting a car. Once I explained the situation, the lady dealing with my application dealt with it on the spot and I had the licence within half an hour.
    There might be a delay in Mayo but no need for rudeness or not helping out genuine cases where its needed in a hurry.

• Advertisement

I think it is sent off to Shannon because of the photo.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Once I explained the situation, the lady dealing with my application dealt with it on the spot and I had the licence within half an hour.

Wow half an hour lucky you, when I explained that I was going away they told me that i would have to send in proof that I was leaving the country which I did but they told me they couldn't guarantee I'd have it by next week. I am going to get on to my Local Councillor at lunchtime and hopefully they can do something for me.

I just didn't think when I was leaving it in that it would take so long and it wasn't expired when I left it in just decided to leave it in about a two weeks earlier so that I'd definately have it when I was leaving the country. Wish I didn't now!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

shoes34 wrote: »
    Wow half an hour lucky you, when I explained that I was going away they told me that i would have to send in proof that I was leaving the country which I did but they told me they couldn't guarantee I'd have it by next week. I am going to get on to my Local Councillor at lunchtime and hopefully they can do something for me.

I just didn't think when I was leaving it in that it would take so long and it wasn't expired when I left it in just decided to leave it in about a two weeks earlier so that I'd definately have it when I was leaving the country. Wish I didn't now!

Yeah I had to show proof too, had airline bookings and car rental confrmation with me, and she couldn't have been more helpful. I did it all in person though, not over the phone or by post, if you haven't done that its probably your best bet of getting it in time.

got on to a nice girl over there and she asked me for the receipt number I got when leaving in my documentation and said I should have it in a few days - fingers crossed.

From being told yesterday after lunch that it would take a few days it arrived in the post this morning!

• Advertisement

excellent

I know its a good result but I still can't see how it takes 6 weeks to get a Drivers Licence when at 3.20 yesterday I was told I would have it in the next few days and the post in Castlebar goes about 5pm and I had it this morning. I know should be grateful that I have it now.

idiotic bureaucracy

Advertisement