Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts on this p.c

• 30-05-2011 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭

http://cgi.ebay.ie/VIBOX-RAPID-AMD-ATHLON-X2-3-3GHz-4GB-GAMING-DESKTOP-PC-/200597290453
    Just picked this up recently and I'm not too impressed with it at all,it's far slower than my previous 2.2ghz,4gb ram h.p desktop.
    I'm not all that tech-savvy but would have thought this could do a better job than what I had,am I missing something here or could it just be a faulty machine as it seems to struggle with everything I've tried on it??
    Any info would be much appreciated,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

One issue is that is doesn't have a very impressive processor, its a dual core when high end PCs are moving towards quad core, maybe you could update.

If your interested, Desktops have a lot more customization available than a laptop, so you could learn to change some parts yourself after a little research. RAM for example is easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Even though it's dual core it's still struggling with the most basic of tasks,Internet explorer and anti-virus are freezing up a lot.I didn't purchase this as a gaming pc.all I was hoping to be doing with it is running music production software,would that be too much to ask of it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Did you try contacting them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Even though it's dual core it's still struggling with the most basic of tasks,Internet explorer and anti-virus are freezing up a lot.I didn't purchase this as a gaming pc.all I was hoping to be doing with it is running music production software,would that be too much to ask of it??

Sounds like there is something wrong there to be honest, dodgey ram or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭leviathon

I'd check to make sure you got what you were told you were getting

Nice quick check run dxdiag - (XP hit start>run, type in dxdiag and hit ok - vista/win7 click start and type in dxdiag there and hit ok).

That'll give you a brief overview of what you have - cpu type/video card type/amount of memory etc.

Almost sounds like there isn't enough memory in it - as a matter of interest is the hard disk light constantly on or flashing like mad when it's sitting idle?

Possibly the drivers aren't right - did it come with the operating system/drivers preloaded?

• Advertisement

leviathon wrote: »
    I'd check to make sure you got what you were told you were getting

Nice quick check run dxdiag - (XP hit start>run, type in dxdiag and hit ok - vista/win7 click start and type in dxdiag there and hit ok).

That'll give you a brief overview of what you have - cpu type/video card type/amount of memory etc.

Almost sounds like there isn't enough memory in it - as a matter of interest is the hard disk light constantly on or flashing like mad when it's sitting idle?

Possibly the drivers aren't right - did it come with the operating system/drivers preloaded?
    Thanks for replies,working at the moment so won't be able to check anything till late tonight.
    There was no o.s on it,I put windows 7 32bit on myself and installed drivers that came with the p.c,there was another disc I wasn't sure of,think it was for motherboard????it says something like core unlock key on it,I assumed that had been already installed.could that be the problem???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Out of curiousity I specced this pc up on a german site, its 259 euros worth of components

Obviously if you can iron out any driver issues on the pc it should run fine as a non gaming pc (as long as the cheapie power supply lasts)

I know this is a little late, but for anyone else reading thread, please stay away from ebay pc's unless you know your stuff

OP if you can't fix problem and get cash back, come over to building the upgrading forum and we'll spec you up a better pc for the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

cambo2008 wrote: »
    I was hoping to be doing with it is running music production software,would that be too much to ask of it??

In a word I would say yes. You really need a much beefier machine if you're going to be doing any serious music production. Once you start to load multiple channels in your DAW, especially soft synths, the machine will struggle if it's already showing signs of being slow. Secondly this review of the motherboard marks it as a rather poor low-end component with very basic onboard audio. I doubt even using ASIO drivers would increase the performance of the audio which is obviously going to be a central part of any music production software.

Jonny7 wrote: »
    OP if you can't fix problem and get cash back, come over to building the upgrading forum and we'll spec you up a better pc for the money
    I'm going to see about returning it shortly,if it's a case that I can't get cash back I'll be trying to exchange it for something else.would this be much of an improvement http://cgi.ebay.ie/VIBOX-970-2-AMD-QUAD-CORE-3-5GHz-1000GB-4GB-DESKTOP-PC-/190517219556?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item2c5bb610e4#ht_5750wt_756

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

The newer one you posted is basically all the same cheapie components, except with a much bigger stronger processor.. that also sucks more power, creates more heat

Reinstall everything, inc. drivers, reinstall win7.. see if she runs

If its still slow, we should try some benchmarking programs to see if its identifying all the ram, if the proc is running at full speed all that jazz

If not, send the initial one back to them and say look its not working, but show them u want to work with them to resolve this, they might just replace it and off you go

The worlds cheapest pc parts should still work together at the speed they are designated for, there is no reason your current pc should be that slow

However, the one vital part is the power supply.. thats not something u scrimp on

Anyway keep plugging away at the problem and return it if needed

But "trading up" just aint gonna do the trick, you can have a super ultra gigantic cutting edge processor in it, but they still cheat by providing the cheapest ram/motherboard/psu/case/etc possible

• Advertisement

Jonny7 wrote: »
    The newer one you posted is basically all the same cheapie components, except with a much bigger stronger processor.. that also sucks more power, creates more heat

Reinstall everything, inc. drivers, reinstall win7.. see if she runs

If its still slow, we should try some benchmarking programs to see if its identifying all the ram, if the proc is running at full speed all that jazz

If not, send the initial one back to them and say look its not working, but show them u want to work with them to resolve this, they might just replace it and off you go

The worlds cheapest pc parts should still work together at the speed they are designated for, there is no reason your current pc should be that slow

However, the one vital part is the power supply.. thats not something u scrimp on

Anyway keep plugging away at the problem and return it if needed

But "trading up" just aint gonna do the trick, you can have a super ultra gigantic cutting edge processor in it, but they still cheat by providing the cheapest ram/motherboard/psu/case/etc possible
    I've sent an email asking for a refund and if that's not possible an exchange.
    I was just wondering about picking something else that seller has as I don't see a refund being offered to easily,the other one I linked was the only one in that price range that used different motherboard etc. I really wouldn't know what to be looking for in regard to parts.

Advertisement