Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Warden

Options
  • 30-05-2011 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Seems to be doing the round in Galway city, was studying in my friends house today and they arrived. €150 fine...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Was that for not having a license, or no collar/leash running?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Both but my friend's dog was in the backgarden and never out. He said he is usually tipped off about something and then checks all the houses, she had a license, well her Mom did! There is a dog always barking like mad opposite her house, I'd say that was it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Why were they fined if they had a licence? Was it out of date or something?

Surely you can't be fined for having your dogs loose in your own secure back garden:confused:

She wasn't fined!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The fine for not having a dog license is €30. The only fine of €150 is for fouling in a public place.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I think people should be fined for letting their dogs roam the streets. It seems a bizarre Galway tradition to send your pets out to play in the traffic all day while you're off at work. Every single day I see dogs wandering around without owners, trying to cross the roads between the cars. It really angers me, I'd feel terrible if I hit one with my car.

One of the last times I saw a mutt almost get creased I got blood to the head, put it in the car and drove it to the vets to get scanned. They phoned the owner and the dopey bint says "sure it can't be my dog, he's out the front on the street".

People like that shouldn't be allowed to have dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

dafunk wrote: »

One of the last times I saw a mutt almost get creased I got blood to the head, put it in the car and drove it to the vets to get scanned. They phoned the owner and the dopey bint says "sure it can't be my dog, he's out the front on the street".

Seriously?? What a crap attitude to have towards your pets:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

I think people should be fined for letting their dogs roam the streets. It seems a bizarre Galway tradition to send your pets out to play in the traffic all day while you're off at work. Every single day I see dogs wandering around without owners, trying to cross the roads between the cars. It really angers me, I'd feel terrible if I hit one with my car.

It probably was out the front until you kidnapped it! What would you have done if it didn't have a chip - leave it there for the vet to mind it? Take it home? Bring it to the pound to be put down?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

She wasn't fined!

I thought you said she was fined? :
    €150 fine...

Please explain

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Pwpane wrote: »
    It probably was out the front until you kidnapped it! What would you have done if it didn't have a chip - leave it there for the vet to mind it? Take it home? Bring it to the pound to be put down?

I think the poster was suggesting it was out on the road and nearly got killed by a car ("creased"). If that's the case, the poster absolutely did the right thing to take it away and, would also have done well, if the owner's omission were a regular occurance, to rehome it somewhere safe where it wasn't likely to get run over.

• Advertisement

Pwpane wrote: »

Rather than kidnapping the poster did exactly what the law allows. Anyone can take a stray dog & all they have to do is notify the dog warden or the Gardai. In this case a "stray" means a dog without an ID tag on the collar.

I had a similar incident. Little terrified terrier causing chaos in the Galway traffic. I ended up getting bitten & scratched trying to save it whilst the owner, who eventually turned up didn't give a ****.

Some friends of mine found a Labrador puppy. They went to a lot of trouble knocking on doors & asking around. When it was scanned by the Vet the owner could not of cared less. The dog can still be seen wandering most days.

I never said we got the fine. I was under the impression that was the fine given out and was merely reminding people of it, said in a kind of jokey tone it makes more sense. This thread has taken a weird turn though...

said in a kind of jokey tone it makes more sense

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I never said we got the fine. I was under the impression that was the fine given out and was merely reminding people of it, said in a kind of jokey tone it makes more sense. This thread has taken a weird turn though...
    read back your second post, you said they were fined "for both" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

This thread has taken a weird turn though...

Attack is the best form of defence and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I'm hugely confused ted

Advertisement