Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype not working

Options
  • 30-05-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

My Skype isnt working for past few days,every time i go to log in it tells me that Skype is not working and windows is trying to resolve the problem anyone having the same trouble?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Moved from Servers&Systems.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The solution is to delete the shared.xml file as explained here. Same this happened my Auntie and this fixed it

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭yogimotorsport

Your a Gent Nick,This is what makes this forum so good!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭icywind1980

I'm also having a problem with skype, just started today. It's not exactly the same as above, so if I should make a new thread, just tell me.

What happens is this: I open skype, type my username and pass and it just loads and loads and then tells me there was an error logging in. I've tried on two computers, one with XP and one with Win 7-64 bit, same issue. Just started today. I uninstalled on the Win 7 machine, been trying to reinstall for hours, still downloading. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I'm also having a problem with skype, just started today. It's not exactly the same as above, so if I should make a new thread, just tell me.

What happens is this: I open skype, type my username and pass and it just loads and loads and then tells me there was an error logging in. I've tried on two computers, one with XP and one with Win 7-64 bit, same issue. Just started today. I uninstalled on the Win 7 machine, been trying to reinstall for hours, still downloading. Any ideas?

Skype are having a few problems this morning but they are working on it apparently. Give it a few hours and try again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

yeah I'm having issues with Skype this morning.. I'm on the Three mobile broadband network..

Skype are having a few problems this morning but they are working on it apparently. Give it a few hours and try again.
    thanks for letting me know!

Update: Finally got skype working on my Win XP machine. I had to uninstall and reinstall then delete the shared.xml file on my Win 7 machine to make it work, but it's back. Thanks for this thread and the link!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 redser76

Can someone PLEASE help?
    I have tried the solution given above but have had no joy. I deleted the shared.xml, .lock, .journal and temp files but nothing seems to work. I was having problems with IE 8 not playing audio, which I tried to resolve but couldn't, and started using Firefox. This is when the problems started, I think. I have since uninstalled Firefox which has done nothing. I have uninstalled Skype, deleted all files and reinstalled. Still nothing. I have updated IE. Nothing. I have tried to find the event log of the error but don't know where to look.
    Any and all help appreciated.

Are you using Win XP or Win 7? I am in Win 7 and have to run everything as an admin and in compatibility mode. You could try that.

• Advertisement

Are you using Win XP or Win 7? I am in Win 7 and have to run everything as an admin and in compatibility mode. You could try that.

Thanks. Tried it but didn't work. Running Win 7 on Samsung NC10 netbook.

Hmm are you using the most up to date sound drivers? That's another thing worth looking into.

All drivers up to date. I have tried all the fixes from this forum:
    http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=820893
    but nothing works.
    I can't see any error notification in then event viewer but then again I don't really know what to look for!

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? Have you tried making another user account on your computer and seeing if the issue is the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kingofburt

This problem is affecting me today, was using Skype fine last night but this morning it keeps crashing. I've followed most of the advice here, deleted skype.xml, uninstalled and reinstalled skype but no joy.

In the compatability tab I can't choose windows 7, which is what I'm running, does anyone know why and if this is the problem? I'm not too good with computers so the simpler the advice the better.

Thanks

Edit - just installed microsoft updates and everything is running fine now.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Daithi2004

I seemed to be having a problem with my Skype. I can't talk to anyone. I can just text. I tried all another set of earphones, it didn't work. I uninstalling / re-installing it, didn't work either.

I tried using the Echo/ Service to test connection but doesn't let me ring out. Can anyone help?

224184.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Who's your internet provider? Some mobile providers have issues with skype

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Daithi2004

yoyo wrote: »
    Who's your internet provider? Some mobile providers have issues with skype

Nick

It is eircom.

Advertisement