Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone living in Rush (Kenure) hear farmers bangers on all night long

Options
  • 30-05-2011 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Last night the "farmers bangers/scare the birds yoke" went off all through the night.
    Not sure which farm it was from there are a few around us but just sent a mail to Fingal cause as far as I know they are not to be on in nighttime hours.
    Anyone else have a sleepless night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

YES!!!!

its the field across the road from the new tesco construction site car park.

it seems to be much louder than previous years. i would normally sleep through it but it actually is so loud that it wakes me up.

its very annoying. there are bangers in other fields but dont seem to be as loud as this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

Martron wrote: »
    YES!!!!

its the field across the road from the new tesco construction site car park.

it seems to be much louder than previous years. i would normally sleep through it but it actually is so loud that it wakes me up.

its very annoying. there are bangers in other fields but dont seem to be as loud as this one.

Have lived here 6 years myself and defo that is the worst I have heard. They cannot get away with that. Don't have young babies in the house anymore but I know a lot of families have, so they must have had a desperate night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

dubsontour wrote: »
    Have lived here 6 years myself and defo that is the worst I have heard. They cannot get away with that. Don't have young babies in the house anymore but I know a lot of families have, so they must have had a desperate night.

Have you lodged a complaint with the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Lodge a complaint with the council. Speak to the farmer personally and if all else fails -<snip>

^^^ ha ha . would not like to be near it if it went off!!! blow your ear drums.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No advocating illegal activity/taking the law into your own hands

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I have heard them go off when I was out the other night and they are loud ok but I didnt think any louder than any other year.

What I have noticed tho is the amount of hares/rabbitts about. They are doing serious damage to crops. As far as I know Farmers cant use shotguns anymore and 2 or 3 shots from one of these is I believe more effective than the bangers.

This particular one is definately louder .

i understand the need for them . but this one is definately louder than the rest. Like dubsontour i have been here a good few years and this is the first time i have actually thought they were a bit of a nuisance.

but saying that i know they are needed . wonder if they could be aimed away from the houses and into the fields more to dampen the sound produced ( while stil having maximum effect for the field it is protecting)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

We had this problem last year and it turned out that there was some sort of timer on the canister. It's only meant to go off for X amount of hours in the day. The farmer hadn't realised it was set to a 24 hour clock and so the intervals for night time were very close together. Once the canister ran out we had no more problems. It took about 10 days.

Slightly OT but I've seen 2 farmers in Fingal using a bird of prey deterrent instead of a canister this year and apparently they work very well. It's a realistic looking model of a hawk which is extremely light. Suspended on a high pole from a taut wire it revolves the pole slowly in the breeze.

this method is beiong used in an adjacent field.

• Advertisement

this method is beiong used in an adjacent field.

Seen it used before, results are ok. The real thing works better, the airport uses birds of prey. In the states they use telegraph poles with wires that generate a noise.

They use the bangers in Africa to scare Baboons off the crops but the buggers have been photographed sticking their fingers in their ears when they worked out the timing of the bang or in some cases they disconnect the gas cyclinder.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Farmers cant use guns anymore? since when?

Morphéus wrote: »
    Farmers cant use guns anymore? since when?

I was told by a farm worker. Why? I dont know but in some areas I would say its for safety reasons with the proxsimity of some fields to new estates

LeoB wrote: »
    I was told by a farm worker. Why? I dont know but in some areas I would say its for safety reasons with the proxsimity of some fields to new estates

Well its boards so we have a farming forum and a shooting forum that might be able to clarify the answer. I know the EU directive against the use of lead in shooting and fishing came in recently perhaps that were the confusion comes from?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Speak to the farmer in question and express your concerns, if that fails then speak to the county council.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Well its boards so we have a farming forum and a shooting forum that might be able to clarify the answer. I know the EU directive against the use of lead in shooting and fishing came in recently perhaps that were the confusion comes from?

That sounds good to me. I have seen a few farmers out with shotguns but not around any built up areas.....
    vicwatson wrote: »
    Speak to the farmer in question and express your concerns, if that fails then speak to the county council.

If its where I think it is the man in question would be fairly decent to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

We had a similar problem in Donabate a few months back. A few of us complained to FCC and it stopped shortly afterwards (may not have been due to FCC though). Problem was that the field was rented and nobody knew how to contact the owners or the person renting it.

There are timers on these things and sometimes they go out of whack. There's no reason for them to go off during the night.

The farmer in question put a new crop in the field and has the bangers set up and they start around 9.00 a.m. and they stop around 7.00 p.m. Not a problem as they're hardly noticable during the day.

I'm sure there is a law as to how close these things can be used to a residential area, but I'm sure if you know who owns them, in most cases they will be reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yeah - had occasion to speak to a farmer myself last year wrt this. Bangers going off all night, really loud. tbh, I was working myself up because I thought he was going to tell me where to go, so by the time I got to his door, the adrenaline was fairly pumping! turned out he got the AM and PM the wrong way around on the time and was extremely apologetic! whole thing sorted with no hard feelings.

Sorry to re-hash this.. But again the bangers going off all night.
    Went to bed @ 11pm. Heard the 1st one @ 11.20pm, then every 15 minutes until I went asleep @ 1am.. Again woken at 5.35 am so I'm assuming they were on all night and I was just that knackered I managed to sleep through it.
    I know other posters mentioned going up to the farmer but I find it hard to figure out which land it is coming from.
    I'm in Kenure and it sounds VERY close to us.
    Want to get it sorted PLEASE anyone all help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Sounds daft but have you tried the Golden Pages or suchlike to find farmers in your area? Or ask the postman - they tend to know which farmer works where - well around here they do anyway.

• Advertisement

If it's causing a nuisance, just go into the field and disconnect the gas bottle. That will put an end to it. Once you don't damage it, you're not breaking the law.

When we had the problem in Donabate, that's what the Guards in Swords suggested (off the record) as there was nothing they could do about it.

well i would not like to be beside it if it went off. and i think if you did interfere with it and havppen to break it and were caught i would say you would be in trouble too.

best thing is to nab someone working in the field and say it to them . passed by a while ago on my way out and there was a tractor there.

That google map doesn't work for me. where is the offending field?

well i would not like to be beside it if it went off. and i think if you did interfere with it and havppen to break it and were caught i would say you would be in trouble too.

best thing is to nab someone working in the field and say it to them . passed by a while ago on my way out and there was a tractor there.

Looking at the map, the proximity of the banger seems to be much further away from houses than the problem we had in Donabate.

A couple of months ago, we had a problem with one of these contraptions situated about 20m from residential housing. I'm sure you can appreciate the problems it was causing going off through the night. It was horrendous.

All you have to do is wait at a distance until it bangs and then you know you've around 5 mins to disable it. I know farmers have a living to make, but they have to be aware as to how close these things are to houses. They are also responsible to ensure that they are set up correctly so they're not going off 24 hrs/day.

i would imagine they come in all shapes and sizes and the volumes of sound would differ also.

but i can estimate that this banger is about 100m from my house and when it goes off at night it sounds like someone is banging on the bedroom door. ( personally i dont even notice now when i am asleep but i know tht its affecting other people)

i would be fairly confident that i could disable it safely but would not want to interfere with it regardless as its not my property to go fiddling with.

@ corsendonk trying googling these coordinates 53.525909, -6.100405

Thanks for all the replies.
    Have not been able to get the time to investigate it myself this week.
    They just seem to go off on the odd night then not the next,then you think that's grand they have it sorted then it happens again. Like how difficult is it to set up these things.
    Hopefully its sorted now and I do appreciate I live in this area that produces these fine crops for our dinner table BUT we all have to have respect for each other.
    Cheers for all the help

Advertisement