Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couponing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

this thread is getting massive. could we get a mod to delete some old posts and coupons that are out of date??

Wow! Are you allowed use a number of the same vouchers though?

Yes but only if you have the same number of items ie 20 coupons and 20 items,

You can only stack coupons on one item if the come from different sources ie pigsback and manufacturer.

We need a couponing faq sticky!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭stirliz

Be careful in Tesco.
    I was refused today coupon on Aquafresh Toothbrush and Comport Vaporesse.
    Aquafresh was €1 pce. Said they can now only accept 1 coupon per 4, otherwise they are not making any money. Same with Vaporesse. Customer can't make money :S . I was in no mood to argue, but will write a letter to Consumer Agency to see who is in right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What's the point in that? A store can refuse a coupon, it's totally at their discretion.
    Also my local T only accepts one coupon per item regardless, so no persil gratis for me.

Ou well, then I may as well accept this, if it's up to different shops to change this bit.
    But I think I read it on Consumer Rights website that customer is ok to use 2 coupons on BOGOF.

How do then use couponing if your Tesco accepts only 1?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Find the website and link it here :)

For my local T, it's one coupon per item regardless of how different the coupons are and even then the shop can say, well it is not valid with any other offer ie. discounted or bogof

snubbleste wrote: »
    Find the website and link it here :)

For my local T, it's one coupon per item regardless of how different the coupons are and even then the shop can say, well it is not valid with any other offer ie. discounted or bogof

I know it's one coupon per item. I bought 4 Toothbrush and they accepted 2 coupons only. 1 coupon per item for 2 toothbrushes and then didn't accept coupons for the other 2.

stirliz wrote: »
    I was in no mood to argue, but will write a letter to Consumer Agency to see who is in right.

Tesco is right im afraid. Stores have the right to change policies or refuse coupons whenever they wish.

I saw this comming. Stores were eventually going to cop on when people were walking out with 10 and 20 of the one item for free or next to free.

BTW was in Dunnes today and I could only see colgate toothbrushes on offer. It must only be in selected stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Irishchick wrote: »
    Tesco is right im afraid. Stores have the right to change policies or refuse coupons whenever they wish.

I saw this comming. Stores were eventually going to cop on when people were walking out with 10 and 20 of the one item for free or next to free.

BTW was in Dunnes today and I could only see colgate toothbrushes on offer. It must only be in selected stores.

i thought that the shop gets the value of the coupon back from the supplier ?

BrendanD wrote: »
    i thought that the shop gets the value of the coupon back from the supplier ?

They do but for some reason they dont want people doing it. I presume they must miss out somewhere.

Possibly they have to pay towards the cost off offering a buy one get one free.

Im not really sure why but as soon as couponers get good they get strict on the policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

You can only stack coupons on one item if the come from different sources ie pigsback and manufacturer.

This is not true. Manufacturers only intend for one coupon to be used against one item - after all they have to cover the cost of the coupon whether you get it from Pigsback, TodayFM or some other source.

From the shops point of view of view it does say on most coupons that the manufacturer reserve the right to refuse redemption of coupons if they have reason to believe they were accepted other then in accordance with their terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

http://www.supersavvyme.co.uk/product/triedandtested/bold/bold-2in1-crystal-rain-white-lily.aspx
    €1 off Bold 2 in 1 with Lenor

Comfort concentrated fabric conditioner 750ml is two for €3.50 at Tesco. Use two of the pigsback €1 off coupons to get two bottles for €1.50 total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

aquafresh 100ml multi action and whitening is only 1.34 in dunnes. so you get a tube of toothpaste for 34 cent if you use your coupon ;)

The man in my Tesco said, that Pigspack doesn't do anything FOR them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

What does that mean? & is "The man" in your Tesco a manager, shelf stacker, head office staffer or general member of the public???

Pigsback charge companies to supply coupons. The stores then treat them like legal tender, they go back to a clearing house before being routed back to pb for audit purposes. It's up to the manufacturer to make the chain head office aware of their intent to offer a coupon, be it through the press or pb or on pack.

Sorry, didn't explain well enough.
    The man was Shop Assistant. They had the coupons for discussion last week with management. After they had client who bought 16 comfort vaporesse BOGOF items and had 16 coupons.

He did offer to call manager if I wished, but I was in no mood to talk about it over.
    But if many say that the shop would have been in right anyway..where wouldn't have been any point to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭SEORG

I bought 4 bottles of Persil through the BOGOF last night in Tesco. I used 4 pigsback coupons and 4 TodayFM coupons.
    Between coupons & BOGOF offers my €99 bill was reduced to €54.

Happy days.

Is it not wrong to use 8 coupons for 4 bottles. I understand that in the end it is Persil who supplies with coupon not pigspack nor today fm? :confused:

If we use them wrong...then soon we have nothing to use :(

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭hairyairyfairy

perosnally, while i do not disagree with what has been said, i take a different view on it

when it comes to BOGOF, people will take up on the offer eitherway, it is going to be pretty difficult for the cashing in people in the office, to know if one person used 10 coupons or if 10 different people use 1 coupon each, becasue the take up on the offer is going to be there anyway and the till is also going to balance

the shop will not offer a BOGOF at a loss, and don't forget that in the last few weeks Tes**s have increased the cost of Persil and comfort while it is on BOGOF so we are paying higher anyway to offset their "perceived losses"

i personally think it is Irish attitude of hating to see someone else suceed or "get one up on someone else". it is like the stores are begrudging the use of coupons instead of embracing it and accepting that the store is going to be recouped eitherways and that for a lot of families this is a necessity!!

and i realise that i am probably going to get a backlash for saying people are begrudgers, but it is what i see everyday, and as i said it is just my own OPINION

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kcoup

This thread started because people saw extreme couponing on TV. One of the things about the people in the program is that they stick to the terms of the coupon and don't abuse it but still get great deals.
    If people continue to use two coupons on the one product (i.e €2 persil today fm and €2 persil pigsback against one persil bio) Then soon enough the stores and the manufacturers will stop issuing coupons. Just because a cashier lets you away with it doesn't mean it's right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭SEORG

SEORG wrote: »
    I bought 4 bottles of Persil through the BOGOF last night in Tesco. I used 4 pigsback coupons and 4 TodayFM coupons.
    Between coupons & BOGOF offers my €99 bill was reduced to €54.

Happy days.

Jaysus, didn't think this would cause such controversy. It is the first time I tried it and to be honest I was just chancing my arm as I had both set of coupons with me at the time.

The other thing is that the pigsback coupons clearly state Bio products so I was actually expecting them to be refused as I got Non Bio bottles.

i personally think it is Irish attitude of hating to see someone else suceed or "get one up on someone else".

In my opinion this is two completely different things.
    Surely nobody could really believe that manufacturers would intend for their customers to walk out of shops having paid nothing for their produce.
    there is a tune which goes with this, playing in my head but the words are

14 bottles of persil for free, 14 bottles for free, la de da, de da de da, 14 bottles of persil for free

thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Helium

perosnally, while i do not disagree with what has been said, i take a different view on it

when it comes to BOGOF, people will take up on the offer eitherway, it is going to be pretty difficult for the cashing in people in the office, to know if one person used 10 coupons or if 10 different people use 1 coupon each, becasue the take up on the offer is going to be there anyway and the till is also going to balance

the shop will not offer a BOGOF at a loss, and don't forget that in the last few weeks Tes**s have increased the cost of Persil and comfort while it is on BOGOF so we are paying higher anyway to offset their "perceived losses"

i personally think it is Irish attitude of hating to see someone else suceed or "get one up on someone else". it is like the stores are begrudging the use of coupons instead of embracing it and accepting that the store is going to be recouped eitherways and that for a lot of families this is a necessity!!

and i realise that i am probably going to get a backlash for saying people are begrudgers, but it is what i see everyday, and as i said it is just my own OPINION

Exactly right!!!

I'm definitely not apologizing for the way I use my coupons. So what if we take advantage of certain offers. Not like we're ripping off any of these multi-nationals, they have their 'ways' of parting us with our cash so why shouldn't we have our 'ways' of taking advantage.

Example in point , that Persil BOGOF offer is actually a deception. Before the 'offer' Persil was €5.99 now it's €7.99 so in fact it's more like buy one get 50% off one.

Now i'm not condoning going in and buying a trolley load of one product and getting it for next to nothing, but I certainly have no qualms with getting 1 or 2 if the opportunity arises.

BTW surely it's up to these major retailers to train their employees how to process coupons instead of some of them going around like headless chickens
    when you present them.

RANT OVER!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭remeneerb

Just wanted to say that i totally agree!!

i don't think that people are using them "wrongly" persay, but in America you can obtain a copy of the store's policy on accepting coupons and people operate within those guidelines
    However, as far as i know, and i have not yet been made aware of it, there are no such guidelines available from stores here, so how you choose to use them within the t&c on the coupon is a matter of interpretation but no coupon i have yet found states that they cannot be used in conjunction with another coupon but again that is my own interpretation

brian_t wrote: »

This is not true. Manufacturers only intend for one coupon to be used against one item - after all they have to cover the cost of the coupon whether you get it from Pigsback, TodayFM or some other source.

From the shops point of view of view it does say on most coupons that the manufacturer reserve the right to refuse redemption of coupons if they have reason to believe they were accepted other then in accordance with their terms.

That's for a manufactures coupon. You can use 2 if they are from different sources ad the store will get refunded

I already pointed out that stores have the right to refuse :)

That's for a manufactures coupon. You can use 2 if they are from different sources ad the store will get refunded

They are not different sources all coupons ultimately are redeemed by the manufacturer.

I already pointed out that stores have the right to refuse :)

You misunderstood what I said.
    I was pointing out the fact that the Manufacturer has the right to refuse to redeem the coupon when returned by the store.

I was pointing out the fact that the Manufacturer has the right to refuse to redeem the coupon when returned by the store.

Manufacturer could easily ask for proof of receipt for each coupon used from stores.
    It's nearly the same like with stores themselves, all depends on how strict they are.

Anyhow. I really hope that coupons, the very few that we have, wouldn't be stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

SEORG wrote: »
    I was just chancing my arm as I had both set of coupons with me at the time.

So it was an intentional deception then.

This is like the Killeen coupon all over again. There's a very small number of people defrauding the supplier, who will in turn stop coupons for everyone.

Lever Brothers manufacture/distribute Persil products & will have seen a huge uplift in coupons coming back in the last few months. If they're being taken advantage of, they're going to stop coupons, not for just Persil, but for all their brands and the other suppliers will follow...

As mentioned above it's a typical Irish thing, but not just begrudgery, also gouging as much as you can from someone else at the detriment of others.

Very Shortsighted.

• Advertisement

for anyone who managed to get the Knorr E1 off coupon for their new Gourmet range of soups, they are on offer for E1.06 in Tesco at the moment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement