Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First gig you went to?

Options
  • 30-05-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭

Hi just wondering what was everyones first gig they went to? ~Any your memorys of it?

For me it was Slane in 1998 headlined by the Verve, with Manic Street Preachers, Robbie Williams, The Seahorses, James, Junkster and Finley Quaye.

Was an amaizng gig, I wouldve been 14/15 at the the time went one my mates, we were delighted with geting served drink at it, also got tickets into the mosh pit which was amazing, also as much as it pains me to say this Robbie Williams kind of stole the show really got the crown pumped up. Ill also always remeber The Manic Street Preachers singingif You Tolerate This for the first time about two months before it got released have loved that song ever since.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

Slane 2002.
    Relish
    JJ72
    Kelis
    Coldplay
    The Chili's
    and of course U2.

went with a critic from a local newspaper who I worked with, we got a lift with another guy and his dad. They collected me and we set off for Slane, as we were arriving they produced a simple hi vis jacket with an alumnus yellow sticker stuck to it, saying 'U2 Slane Official 2001' Man 4 of those jackets got us everywhere, i remember watchin Coldplay from the side of the stage. unreal.
    Funniest part was me, after gettin into the VIP area in front of the castle, collected a press pack from the media tent, got a few free drinks, spotted Lord Henry himself fluttering around trying to look very important with an arm full of guest passes, there's me with quite a bit of dutch courage waltzes right over to him and asked him for 3 passes for my friends. after a quick look up and down I was promptly told to '**** off'

So i did.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

First concert if you could call it that was o2 in the park in 2003/2004 i think, Was very exciting :)

The first real concert i went to was Bud Rising when i was 18, Kaiser chiefs. Unreal :)

and of course, electric picnic last year, wow
    Few smaller ones in between but those are the ones that stick out in my mind the most!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

my first gig at the ripe age of 15 was Guns N' Roses in Slane. I still have vivid memories of it (May 16th, 1992!) (amazing how much one remembers when not drinking:)).

With Faith No More and Kilkenny band, My Little Funhouse supporting it was a fantastic experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Most people will slate me for admitting this but my first concert was Westlife at the Point Theatre:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Oasis Landsdown Rd 8th July 2000 was great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

oxegen 2004, when it was a rock-indie festival!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Haha Paul Young in the RDS - guess it was around 1984. I was up the front and still have the photos - fab!! Showing my age now! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Power of Dreams. The old SFX centre in Spring '91.
    Still one of the best gigs I ever went to. Load of crusties there from England that we had a blast with. Never saw a crustie before until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Metallica, Machine Head, HIM and Mastodon in Wembley Stadium back in 2007. It was a present for my 16th birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Metallica, Machine Head, HIM and Mastodon in Wembley Stadium back in 2007. It was a present for my 16th birthday

Now I do feel ancient! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Witnness 2000, back when it was a decent festival :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ondeball

Oasis at the Point in 1995.

Unreal gig just before they hit their peak.

Think it was just a week before the girls was crushed to death at the Smashing Pumpkins gig as well. The Point was an awful kip back then with crush barriers causing more harm than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

'98 or '99, SFX, for a Type O Negative gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Horslips, National Statium about 1975/6.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

Simple Minds, Croke Park, 1986.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Stereophonics in the Point 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Not a stand-alone gig, but Creamfields at Punchestown in 2002 was the first big event I was at.

Underworld on the main stage, followed by Faithless, when Faithless were at the absolute top of their game:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭horslips

trad wrote: »
    Horslips, National Statium about 1975/6.

My man! Horslips at the Hibernian Hotel, Mallow - April 1976

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

First 'proper' gig I was at was REM at Slane. 1995.

Belly, Spearhead, Luka Bloom, Sharon Shannon and Oasis supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

AC/DC, October 23rd 1982 @ RDS Simmonscourt, a few days after my 15th birthday. Awesome stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

MC Hammer in the Point in 1990. Snap and the dude that did the theme song for Rocky V as support acts.

You cant touch that . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 41 music crazy

Westlife in the Point , I was mad about them at the time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

foolelle wrote: »
    Slane 2002.
    Relish
    JJ72
    Kelis
    Coldplay
    The Chili's
    and of course U2.

went with a critic from a local newspaper who I worked with, we got a lift with another guy and his dad. They collected me and we set off for Slane, as we were arriving they produced a simple hi vis jacket with an alumnus yellow sticker stuck to it, saying 'U2 Slane Official 2001' Man 4 of those jackets got us everywhere, i remember watchin Coldplay from the side of the stage. unreal.
    Funniest part was me, after gettin into the VIP area in front of the castle, collected a press pack from the media tent, got a few free drinks, spotted Lord Henry himself fluttering around trying to look very important with an arm full of guest passes, there's me with quite a bit of dutch courage waltzes right over to him and asked him for 3 passes for my friends. after a quick look up and down I was promptly told to '**** off'

So i did.......:D

Think this was mine too. Was in the pit for the Chillis and U2. Got the shift. Great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Rory Gallagher, Macroom Mountain Dew Festival 1978

years later, I brought my son to his first gig when he was 2 and that was Gallagher in College Green in 1992

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

stiffs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭BQQ

Ice-T and bodycount at the sfx.
    think Helmet were the support act, but can't remember tbh

crowd were chanting for an encore for ages and still no sign of them. some gave up and went home. me and my brother stuck it out a bit longer, but eventually gave up the ghost and headed for the exit. just got to the back of the venue when....

COP KILLLLLLLLER! *headbangs*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Dovies wrote: »
    Now I do feel ancient! :eek:

I was a late bloomer! More than made up for it now though, 30+ big name gigs and festivals along with countless smaller acts, I am catching up on years of missed gigs!

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

The Trip Is In,1995 The Point. Kind of an indoor Trip To Tipp Thingy but in The Point. Foo Fighters,Manic Street Preachers,Afgan Whigs,Beck and Joyrider.
    Foo's were muck and The Manics completely stole the show

• Registered Users Posts: 4 essex

Diana Ross in concert - fab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

Ned's Atomic Dustbin - McGonagles Dec 1991

Advertisement