Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First gig you went to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Croke Park 1985- U2 .
    Was very young- asked a friend of a friend of my sister to buy the ticket, then had to tell ask my parents' permission.

Great gig- The Alarm,In Tua Nua supported, plus some little known American band who were a bit odd ...... REM, I think they were called.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

David Bowie at Slane 1987.
    I was 15 and went with my mate, also 15. I don't remember witnessing the pissed up zombies pinballing off people, that is pretty much standard these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

hellbastard, mcgonagles, sunday afternoon gig, 1988:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

poundhound wrote: »
    David Bowie at Slane 1987.
    I was 15 and went with my mate, also 15. I don't remember witnessing the pissed up zombies pinballing off people, that is pretty much standard these days.
    Big Country stole the show that day for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

Not a stand-alone gig, but Creamfields at Punchestown in 2002 was the first big event I was at.

Underworld on the main stage, followed by Faithless, when Faithless were at the absolute top of their game:cool:

oh my word i had totally forgotten i was even at this gig, am i right in saying that it was the only time creamfields came to ireland?

oh the memories, all i remember from faithless were the lasers.........:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Not a stand-alone gig, but Creamfields at Punchestown in 2002 was the first big event I was at.

Underworld on the main stage, followed by Faithless, when Faithless were at the absolute top of their game:cool:

I'd say that was something special! Mine was The Prodigy at the Marquee in Cork in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Oasis in 1996 in Páirc Uí Chaoimh, support from Prodigy. Excellent day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

foolelle wrote: »
    oh my word i had totally forgotten i was even at this gig, am i right in saying that it was the only time creamfields came to ireland?

oh the memories, all i remember from faithless were the lasers.........:cool:

Yeah, was fantastic. Think there was another one in 2000, but I wasn't at that one. Been to loads of gigs/festivals since, but would still say that 2002 Creamfields was the best ever. Anybody I have spoken to since about it has agreed that the atmosphere there that day was something special. I know most people were off their heads, but everyone seemed to be on the same friendly 'vibe', and all the trance music that was around then was fresh.

Carlsberg don't do atmosphere's, but if they did they'd be pretty much like this video (fast forward to 2.10)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7SNj_eIqtY&feature=related

Loved Judge Jules/Paul Van Dyk/Lisa Lashes/Lisa Pin-Up/Mauro Picotto/Mr Spring/Pressure/Mark Kavanagh back then, even loved 'Tiesto' *shudders:o* All the skangers discovered it then and it became chart music. Or maybe I just got older and the drugs got shtter. Totally turned me off trance whatever it was.

Even though I wouldn't go to something like that nowadays, I still say Creamfields 2002 was one of the best days of my life:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

setanta74 wrote: »
    Power of Dreams. The old SFX centre in Spring '91.
    Still one of the best gigs I ever went to. Load of crusties there from England that we had a blast with. Never saw a crustie before until then.

I was at that gig too. The best Irish band ever. I was at their last gig in the Rock Garden and their recent gig in Whelans too. They still have it! Hearing a new album may be on the way. Keith the drummer has left the band because he is now based in the US. Hope there is a tour to follow the album, if it materialises.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

msthe80s wrote: »
    Croke Park 1985- U2 .
    Was very young- asked a friend of a friend of my sister to buy the ticket, then had to tell ask my parents' permission.

Great gig- The Alarm,In Tua Nua supported, plus some little known American band who were a bit odd ...... REM, I think they were called.

My excuse for being in Dublin was the matriculation, holy hour meant we actuallu showed up for the concert

I did not throw any of them plastic bottles with yellow liquid at REM and had left Grafton street before the cop charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Michael Jackson 1988 Parc Uí Chaoimh

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

Carlsberg don't do atmosphere's, but if they did they'd be pretty much like this video (fast forward to 2.10)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7SNj_eIqtY&feature=related

Even though I wouldn't go to something like that nowadays, I still say Creamfields 2002 was one of the best days of my life:D

dont tunes just bring people together!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭QuinnC88

Red Hot Chilli Peppers, The Pixies, Groove Aramada, The Thrills and Hothouse Flowers, when i was 15 Phoenix Park June 2004.....was Epic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

marwelie wrote: »
    I was at that gig too. The best Irish band ever. I was at their last gig in the Rock Garden and their recent gig in Whelans too. They still have it! Hearing a new album may be on the way. Keith the drummer has left the band because he is now based in the US. Hope there is a tour to follow the album, if it materialises.

Very underrated band. Their first 2 albums were really good and they were unlucky not to make it like a lot of irish bands at that time I suppose.
    The whole Madchester / Indie thing in England just blew that stuff out of the water unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Chris de Burgh in the Point in 1987.

I was 12 and he was AWESOME :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

Rory Gallagher Leisureland Galway 1978...what a gig:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

First 'proper' gig I was at was REM at Slane. 1995.

Belly, Spearhead, Luka Bloom, Sharon Shannon and Oasis supported.

Me too. Couldn't see the sky at one stage with the amount of paper cups being thrown around. Oasis were on fire. Great gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Extreme, SFX, December 1992
    \m/:D\m/

They had played the Point on their previous tour, and this was due to be in the Point again, but was downsized (dramatically) due to total lack of interest.

Million-selling album with massive, radio-friendly hit singles = huge interest and big ticket sales.
    Double concept album with twenty minute song suite = a surefire way to kill your career stone dead.

In keeping with the move to the smaller venue, support band Thunder were also removed from the bill, and were presumably replaced by someone local, but I don't recall who. It's one of the few tickets in my collection that isn't one of those horrible, generic print-outs. I went to see Extreme again in the Academy in 2008 (they hadn't played here since 1992) and they were superb.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

Slane last Saturday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Taxedalot

U2, Croke Park 1985

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭CoolGirl101

Metallica and Tenacious D, Marley Park, 2008, best night of my life by far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

First gig was at the first Dunbrody festival in New Ross. Saw Aslan, and Sharon Shannon.

First 'proper' gig was Foo Fighters in the Point Depot in Dec 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Ash and Muse, Heineken Green Energy fest in the showgrounds in Cork.

I've just googled the date it was on, 2 June 2001. Ten years ago today :eek: :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

msthe80s wrote: »
    Croke Park 1985- U2 .

Awesome. Squeeze also supported.

My first "gig" was seeing The Wombles play Dublin in the early 70s.

My first proper gigs were in March '85, Howard Jones and then FGTH :)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭sabrewulf

My first gig was supposed to be:

Guns N'Roses - Mannheim, DE - 24/08/91 (awesome!)
    supported by:
    Skid Row (awesome!)
    Nine Inch Nails (awful!)

but in the end, while waiting for the GNR show to come up, I couldn't resist when this went on sale:

Bad Religion - Frankfurt, DE - 21/06/91 (very good!)
    supported by:
    Neogazione (awful!)

I sticked to about 2 shows per year for the 90s and increased it to about 25 shows per years since about the Y2K. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A day long even featuring the Hot House Flowers, Deacon Blue, Tracey Chapman and others in the RDS in sept 1988.

Can't remember what it was called.

But in 1981 and 1982 I stood across the road from my house and could hear the bands at the 'ocassion at the castle' 5 miles away in Castlebar, including the Pretenders, the Undertones, Madness, Thin Lizzy, the Boomtown Rats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

A day long event featuring the Hot House Flowers, Deacon Blue, Tracey Chapman and others in the RDS in sept 1988.

Can't remember what it was called.

It was on Saturday 3rd September 1988 and it wasn't called anything, it was billed as "Hothouse Flowers plus guests" I have the ticket at home. It was their first hometown gig after Don't Go had been on the half time show on the Eurovision in 1988. I was a serious fan in those days, on first name terms with the band, so much so that Liam O Maonlai once sent me a postcard when he was on tour because he had heard that my mother was sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

Slane 1992 (Sat. 16th May) - Guns N' Roses. A real eye opener for a 16 year old kid at the time. Tried beer for the first time that day. Haven't looked back since...!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

When I read the title of this thread I was trying to think what it was and came up with Placebo in the SFX in 96/97? but then I saw this post..
    essex wrote: »
    Diana Ross in concert - fab

:o Went with my mother. I was about 10 or 11. And it was fab!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 strongbell

Snoop dogg & P. Diddy at the point :D

Advertisement