Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First gig you went to?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

old hippy wrote: »
    Awesome. Squeeze also supported.

My first "gig" was seeing The Wombles play Dublin in the early 70s.

My first proper gigs were in March '85, Howard Jones and then FGTH :)

Forgot about Squeeze- yeah,great gig .Used to keep all old tickets,then threw them all out in a rage moving house in the 90s- so sorry i did now:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

For me it was Slane in 1998 headlined by the Verve, with Manic Street Preachers, Robbie Williams, The Seahorses, James, Junkster and Finley Quaye.

Was an amaizng gig, I wouldve been 14/15 at the the time went one my mates, we were delighted with geting served drink at it, also got tickets into the mosh pit which was amazing, also as much as it pains me to say this Robbie Williams kind of stole the show really got the crown pumped up. Ill also always remeber The Manic Street Preachers singingif You Tolerate This for the first time about two months before it got released have loved that song ever since.

Hey, that was my third, after Guns'n'Roses at Slane and Billy Idol at the Point. I agree on the Robbie thing, but the Verve were as good as I exected them to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Dovies wrote: »
    Now I do feel ancient! :eek:

1985 Slane, Bruce Springsteen, 3 and a half hours of pure rock, no support and no break.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Westlife in the Point , I was mad about them at the time :p

Same. Mine was in or around 2004 and I was 15-16. :o

First real one was Green Day at The O2 in October 2009, I was 21 at the time. It was some gig. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

NOFX in Dublin, in that place used to be near Whelans, around 1995.

Unforgettable, exhilarating, addictive....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Nirvana at the point in 92 I think. Was a bit meh looking back on it... A contractual obligation gig if ever I saw one...

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

Vaughn in a club in Wigan when i was about 11. Other than that my first PROPER gig was My Chemical Romance in 2004. Which is a bit embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Dire Straits in The Point 91, followed by Feile in 93, followed by a spate of gigs in the SFX (everything from Moby back in his rave days to Machine Head) that I'm hard pushed to remember the dates and other details of (wish I kept the stubs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Nirvana at the point in 92 I think. Was a bit meh looking back on it... A contractual obligation gig if ever I saw one...

Pity they cancelled McGongles 7 months previous.
    A load of footage from that point gig has turned up on youtube now, inbetween songs Kurt catches a bra and Dave puts it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Kylie Minogue RDS 1990, I still have my ticket :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Blast in the Half Moon theater in Cork when I was 14.

I remember it well as two girls met on stage and acid tone played....Awesome day hah but 5 years ago =O!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I knew this was going to come up....

Our Lady Peace, in The Point Theatre, supporting Avril Lavinge (yes, that actually happened!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

Oasis in 1996 in Páirc Uí Chaoimh. Great day out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

nm wrote: »
    Pity they cancelled McGongles 7 months previous.
    A load of footage from that point gig has turned up on youtube now, inbetween songs Kurt catches a bra and Dave puts it on.

We had tickets for the McGonagles gig, was so annoyed that they cancelled. Thought there's no way I'm going to the bigger venue but on the day, we were desperately trying to get tickets!

Sister ended up seeing them, lucky girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

my first ever concert was Michael Jackson at the RDS 1996 i was only 10 but was still to this date one of the best gigs i was ever at and im glad i got to see the legend before he died :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

O2 in the park. think it was the last one they ever had

then proper gig venue was Greenday in The Point#

saw them again last year and the show was pretty much the same, 7 years on :O

sake

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Transvision Vamp in the Point, think it was about 1989... :o Good ol Wendy James. Oh and I was only about 13 in my defence :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

My first official gig was Smashing Pumpkins, 11th May 1996... that is if you dont count seeing Boyzone miming/dancing along to a tape in a bingo hall in 1993....

Was only 15 at the time, and was totally in awe of Billy Corgan, and very devastated at how the gig turned out, that poor girl dying was such a shock. I was nearly banned from gigs after that, but cried my way into being allowed to go to Trip to Tipp in 97 (emotionally blackmailed my dad)

Only gig I regret missing was Type O Negative in 98, damn Leaving Cert, was prohibited from going by the parents. Never got to see Pete Steele live :(

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

Queen and Paul Rodgers in the point in 2005

Massive queen fan and was delighted I got to see them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Queen and Paul Rodgers in the point in 2005

Massive queen fan and was delighted I got to see them

Meh. I saw "Thin Lizzy" at Self Aid in the RDS in '86. Except, Philo was dead and it wasn't Thin Lizzy at all...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Potcher

The Stunning at longford festival was mine :D
    Followed by Oasis in cork 96
    Wasnt let go to Guns n Roses in slane the aul wan kicked up a fuss... In fairness I was only 12 and the lads that offered to bring me were all 17/18 at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Queen " Crazy Tour" 1979..... i think it was the first gig that "God Save The Queen" wasn't played at the end of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

I reluctantly went to see Mando Diao... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Electric Red

First gig for me was Dylan in Galway about 8 years ago. I remember it being quiet the gig,even if I had to sit through Paddy Casey! Been back to see him 3 more times since, last year in Limerick was the best I've seen him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭niallb

old hippy wrote: »
    Awesome. Squeeze also supported.

Was there too. Great day.
    Seem to remember Jools Holland had one arm in a sling, but it didn't slow him down much!
    Funny, I met him after a gig in Salthill about 1991, and he was wearing a patch after getting a finger in the eye from a sax player telling a joke with wild gestures.
    He'd have made a great pirate!

I remember Simple Minds in Croke Park too.
    It lashed rain as soon as the gig finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭goatboy1000

Green Day, SFX, Wednesday 21st Jan '98, Nimrod tour. DGeneration supporting. I was 15, savage gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

Boomtown Rats at Leixlip. think it was 1978 or thereabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 17 baby8music

1995 REM in Slane, remember it being a brilliant gig, lots of underage drinking & crowd surfing!! Oh to be 15 again!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 miseian

Jethro Tull in upstate NY, around 97/98, great gig. First time I saw hippies dancin around on acid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Meat Loaf's "Back in to Hell" gig in The Point in December '93. :o

Advertisement