Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDD help/info

• 30-05-2011 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I have an internal HDD from my old laptop, I want to get housing for it so I can hook it up to my new laptop and use it as an external for media etc.

Here is HDD info: http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_momentus_7200_3.pdf
    Here is housing I found:http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250822466325&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I do not have much knowledge in the hardware area of computers so basically I am looking for info from those who know more then me.

1. Do some internal HDDs have different connector types then others?

(based on 1st question)
    2. Does mine support a connector for firewire/eSata/USB?

3. Out of those(or more that I am unaware of), which is best in general? and which would be better to use in my case?

I have already purchased the Housing in the link, If it is the wrong type I don't mind, It was cheap enough.

Also if you could recommend me a fairy cheap and reliable HDD housing best for my situation, from ebay, in the Ireland/UK region that would be great.

Any help/info, very much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Your disk is a SATA connection, this will not fit the enclosure, which is IDE connection. There could possibly be an issue as to whether a case like that would run a 7200rpm disk, due to maybe needing more power. edit: read the PDF more closely, seems you'd be OK.

Most 2.5" cases come with a Y lead that has 2 USB plugs for the PC, as more power is needed than 1 can supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Velros

Much thanks for the reply. I was unsure about the IDE connection, stupid of me to order before researching.

I forgot to mention my laptop has a dual eSATA/USB port.

I had another search and found this. Would this work for me instead?
    "1 x 2.5" SATA to USB / eSATA HDD Combo External Enclosure
    • 1 x USB cable
    • 1 x USB power cable
    • 1 x ESATA data cable"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

my 320 gig sata drive works in a caddy ,sata, using 1 usb cable, no extra power,or external power needed .I know many ide drives need an extra 5v power cable to work,in a caddy.
    so i just have a caddy plus 1usb cable plugged in, ie it takes power from the pc, and also uses the usb cable to transmit data,file info.In maplins sata caddy is 15 euro ,its plastic, no metal parts to possibly short out the hd pcb.
    it takes about 50seconds to copy 1 600meg file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

The second link to the eSATA one will work.

The eSATA connection is the fastest but you will need to use the USB for computers / laptops that dont have eSATA.

Some laptops wont supply enough power which is where the USB power cable comes in, you use 2 USB ports on the computer / laptop to power it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Velros

Thats great guys, thanks for the replies.

I will pop down to maplin and have a look at your suggestion, I will just compare the one on ebay to ones in Maplin!

Again, much thanks to all, :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement