Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to plant?

Options
  • 30-05-2011 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hiya lads 'n' ladies
    I just got home from having been abroad traveling for a few months; Now the monotony has set in again, as i try to re-enter the system.
    Last year i cleared a patch of my back garden with the intention to grow a few vegetables. Since i got home i thought i should try get back into that. Unfortunately I'm starting a bit late in the season, so i thought i would ask people on here's opinion about how to go about starting off.
    I'm going to try keep the patch organic, and i was hoping to start off with some native, hardy veg. Since this is my first time, less high-maintenance veg would be my preference.
    I thought of maybe trying to go for peas, carrots, tomatoes, onions and maybe radishes? Maybe also some coriander.
    Would these be alright for my purposes (hardy, low maintenance) and circumstances (late season)?

Does anyone have any other tips or advice?
    I had hoped to try follow a masinobu fukuoka-type patch, but i think it would be better to just get something going for this year, and try observe the veg and their growing for a year or two to become accustomed to them before trying anything mad.

Thanks for your time lads, any advice is really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its getting a bit late, but you could get a couple of tomato plants, a marrow plant (good return for not too much expenditure), start some runner beans (its a bit late but you might get away with it), also put in lettuce, scallions, radish. Also winter veg like spring cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I put second earlies down last year on 6th June and got a great crop in September. See if you can pick up a bag of seed potatoes and give it a lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LazyFecker

Hiya looksee
    thanks for your ideas. good to know that i might not be too far out.
    i'll follow up on those suggestions.
    Also thanks for the idea of potatoes redser. would you think they are better to grow in a patch or tyres?
    By the way, can any of you guys suggest a good place for sourcing organic seeds? Or indeed seedlings?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You could plant the entire area in potatoes for this year, its generally regarded as a good way of getting a new site going.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LazyFecker

thanks again looksee
    i dont know if i will again be in this plot next year. Would you say from an experience point of view, it would still be a useful exercise to just grow potatoes? Or try mainly potatoes and a few tomatoes, courgettes/marrow, radish and lettuce?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Sedum and Sage

LazyFecker wrote: »
    thanks again looksee
    i dont know if i will again be in this plot next year. Would you say from an experience point of view, it would still be a useful exercise to just grow potatoes? Or try mainly potatoes and a few tomatoes, courgettes/marrow, radish and lettuce?

Tomatoes can be tricky outside, you'd need a very good summer. You can sow lots of things still, carrots, beetroot, salads, spring onions, cabbage, peas, beans.. If you can get courgettes as plants rather than seeds you'd have a better chance of success. The Organic Centre does seeds, as does Brown Envelope seeds and Seed Savers. Good luck with the veg growing, it's well worth the effort, and very satisfying to harvest your own food!

Advertisement