Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 5 year old's first attempt at becoming a chef lol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Cute kid - but what is he cooking, mince with peas and carrots? Yuck. I used to go out with a vegetarian once who swore if he ever had a restaurant it'd have great veggie food and a token meat eaters dish of mince with vegetables. I thought it was a joke - until now I didn't realise people actually ate like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

Fair play, Its a great idea to encourage kids to cook especially from a young age.
    I have 3 little ones myself, 2 who were fussy little eaters.I started to get them involved a couple of years back when cooking and they love it.There's nothing they wont eat these days.
    As for mince and gravy,you can't beat it,need some tasty mash to go with it and your away.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

SBWife wrote: »
    Cute kid - but what is he cooking, mince with peas and carrots? Yuck. I used to go out with a vegetarian once who swore if he ever had a restaurant it'd have great veggie food and a token meat eaters dish of mince with vegetables. I thought it was a joke - until now I didn't realise people actually ate like that.

What did you expect a 5yr old to cook? Duck a la orange? If it's something he likes to eat then it's a good start, he can start practising harder dishes when he's 7!!! Martic fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

What did you expect a 5yr old to cook? Duck a la orange?
    LOL my wife is laughing away at this reply :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

SBWife - If you have nothing constructive to say - don't bother posting. To demean another poster's child's effort at cooking is pathetic.

HB

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What did you expect a 5yr old to cook? Duck a la orange?

He's 5. Duck a l'orange is for a baby to start on. I'd have started him on Beef Wellington. It's like throwing a baby into a pool and waiting for them to learn to swim.

:pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

That is awesome! Well done to him, can't wait to see his lasagne recipe! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

martic wrote: »
    My 5 year old's first attempt at becoming a chef lol

No lol about it - that's brilliant.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks for all the nice replies, I'm hoping that the more camera time I give him I might get off xmas cooking duties this year;)

kerash wrote: »
    That is awesome! Well done to him, can't wait to see his lasagne recipe! :)

He will have my heart broke now until I let him make his "Bazanga" video:D:D:D,if its ok with the mods to post his vids on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Awh, he is fantastic. A natural at explaining things! For the record I really like mince, veg & gravy.... my Gran used to cook it for us when she was in her 90s. :D

I love how Ciaran says "wor-chester sauce". Bless!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Personal preference:

Flatten the mince, and fry it both sides (as you would with a piece of steak - gives it a nice flavour)

Using a wooden spoon, slit/chop it up in the pan

Add Bisto gravy

Mix, and fry for a bit. Add in cooked carrots and peas near the end.

=-=

Kid does it excellently :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

He's brilliant! There are some adults who wouldn't be able to make mince and gravy :)

I got my daughters involved in cooking when they were young and they're great cooks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

That's a fine looking dish of food there! :) Well done, wee man!

Thanks for all the nice replies, I'm hoping that the more camera time I give him I might get off xmas cooking duties this year;)

He will have my heart broke now until I let him make his "Bazanga" video:D:D:D,if its ok with the mods to post his vids on this thread.

I, for one, really look forward to seeing his 'Bazanga' I might learn something!!! He's a natural :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

That's fantastic! He's definitely better than I was when I started cooking! I forsee a future celebrity chef.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

thats brilliant ... im making this tomorrow .. tell your little lad to keep on cooking .. you can see how happy he is explaining every step.

what exactly is bazanga though im intrigued???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oh my god he is adorable! And very good cook for his age! Definitely post up more of his vids! Might teach us all a thing or two:D (or at least me anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

OH MY GAWD, he's FANTASTIC! The little outfit and all on him! You should do a weekly slot with different recipes, bazanga... NYOMS! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Op when is your son's book out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Howls of disgust from the infant when the peas were added :D

We're impressed but your infant wasn't.

When that child gets a bit older you can have a cook off competition between them, winner takes all :cool:

I'm checking amazon, any sign of your five year olds book?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Brilliant. No annoying camera angles or scripts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

mikemac wrote: »
    Howls of disgust from the infant when the peas were added :D

heh heh yeh I noticed that.

OP that's fantastic, he's a charming little fella.
    Great idea to use the camping cooker thingy, we have one and I'm currently teaching my young girls to cook - I'll dig out the camper cooker and use that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

That's fantastic. He's a real cutie and the mince looked great too.

What started as a bit of fun with Ciaran has developed into him becoming a "celebrity":D:D:D,he comes in from school each day since we made the video and first words he says is "daddy how many have watched me now" lol. I made a facebook page (he is only allowed to look at it) so his friends "fans" can see his weekly videos, and today he landed in from school to say the teacher sat the whole class down and she hooked up the white board and put on the cooking video:D he was delighted with himself as they all started clapping and cheering haha. So stay tuned folks for next weeks edition were Ciaran will be turning out his world famous "Bazanga", thanks again for all the kind messages as now he knows what the term cute means!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

He is brilliant :D I have a 25 year old here who's cooking skills dont even go that far!

Well done Ciaran :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

That is my 10 month old son roaring in he back,dont know if his comments are good or bad :D

Brillant. I was taking notes. Cant wait for his next recipe.

Here's Ciarans latest video I hope you all enjoy it.

Brilliant! Now he's a real kitchen hero and I loved the way he said 'bacon lardons,' he's definitely a star in the making :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I love the way he's so tidy, no mess at all. Love these videos - he's a little star!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Hungry now :)

Advertisement