Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 5 year old's first attempt at becoming a chef lol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

That is just adorable but also very inspiring. Fair play to you and your wife Martic. I shared a house in college with an 18 year old girl who lived off frozen oven chips and chicken nuggets or burgers every single day. I found it quite annoying and would try to show her how to cook other things, and would sometimes just cook extra dinner and give her some of what I was cooking which she liked.
    She also admitted to me that she had never once used a washing machine in her life but that's a different rant.
    I always helped mum cook from when I was a child, mainly baking breads, tarts and buns. From the age of 12 I was often cooking my own dinners and trying out my own recipes. I'm no expert cook by any means at all, but I know what I like and am well capable of making tasty meals for myself.
    Every child should be taught to cook, it's a basic life skill that they need to know.
    Also just to add, I love mince gravy with mashed potato. I also add garlic, onion and herbs to it. It's yummy!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Brillant. Cant wait for your Chicken Curry recipe Ciaran. My local Tescos have stopped stocking my favourite brand of sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

I'm just after getting a call from the producers and Ciaran is to be interviewed on Hectors show on Monday morning @ 7.20 :eek::eek::eek: God only knows what will be said haha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

God that's brilliant! He's a very good stirrer too...I think when I was 5 I'd have had the whole lot of mince splattered all over the kitchen :o

Think I might try that recipe sometime...the end result looked pretty good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

martic wrote: »
    I'm just after getting a call from the producers and Ciaran is to be interviewed on Hectors show on Monday morning @ 7.20 :eek::eek::eek: God only knows what will be said haha

I heard Ian Dempsey talking about him this morning - said he was going to see if he could get ye on the phone :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

you should get him into the Irish Master Chef ^_^

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    I heard Ian Dempsey talking about him this morning - said he was going to see if he could get ye on the phone :)

Their team was E-mailing me this morning so don't know if we will be on there tomorrow or not. Classic hits 4fm contacted us so we are on there @ 2.30pm today and because Hector beat them to the interview RTE radio 1 were looking to get us on this morning lol.
    His video's got a mention today in the national papers: The star,The examiner and the daily Mirror and if anyone is interested hectors interview can be heard in the 2fm replay section go to hector and scroll to 21 mins.
    Now on a different note I want to take the opportunity to thank the people of this forum for their kind words and interest on the video's and we look forward to making more to share with you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Ciaran just gets better and better - I'm definitely going to make this!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Brilliant!
    I can imaging in years to come when he's on TV as an adult and he'll still be expected to to his "Bye" sign off with the wave!!

I can see his stirring skills improve with each video - such good coordination for such a little fella!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

well done Ciaran and also to your Commi Chefs (Mam and Dad) for doing your prep work so you can cook like a Pro :D

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Absolutely brilliant Ciaron. I could actually smell those spices cooking from here! At the rate in which you're improving with each video, it will be only be a matter of time until your snapped up for some kind of deal. Great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

martic wrote: »
    LOL my wife is laughing away at this reply :D

martic, your kid is just adorable:)

maybe if my parents had started with me that young, i could be the new day jamie oliver :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I can't wait for his banana-choc-chip muffin recipe.

After a bit of persuasion from his older brother the banana has been ommited and its now just chocolate chip muffins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,940 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Bloody hell they look so yummy!

Great work from little Ciaran. And the accent...*swoon*

He'll be a hit so he will!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

He is unbelievable!! Just so adorable! And so good at cooking! I want to try all the recipes so far! Bravo Ciaran!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Well done Ciaran, they look yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Martic could you ask Ciaran for the recipe measurements please? Those muffins look mighty.

lucylu wrote: »
    Martic could you ask Ciaran for the recipe measurements please? Those muffins look mighty.

Hope he doesn't mind me giving away his secret recipes :D

Dry ingredients
    350g plain flour (sifted before videoing)
    150g sugar (Doesn't have to be caster, his isn't)
    50g coco powder (sifted before videoing)
    1.5 tsp baking powder
    .5 tsp baking soda
    1 or 2 pkts of chocolate chips

Wet ingredients
    330 ml milk
    1 egg beaten
    100g melted butter (about 50 seconds in the microwave)

Follow the steps in the video and use a potato scoop to pour the mixture into the muffin cases its a lot handier than 2 spoons.
    set the oven to 190c before making then batter and when ready put in for 20mins turning the tin once during cooking to prevent 1 side overcooking.
    let cool on a wire rack

For banana chocolate chip muffins replace the milk with 4 mashed (mildly blackened) bananas and to this add 2 tbls milk and 1 tsp vanilla extract or essence and the above measurements of butter and egg. Leave out the coco powder from the dry ingredients as you want these a lighter colour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

He does it so well! And neatly - I would have the mix all over the shop. Bravo, he's fantastic :)
    REALLY looking forward to the Spare Ribs!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

He's so cute!!

Were you nervous as a parent letting him near the flames?

I'm 21 and my mum still panics if we go too near the BBQ. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I have now subsribed to this thread. martic, your kid is a wee star. Jamie Oliver, eat your heart out. Cant wait for the soup.

smiles302 wrote: »
    Were you nervous as a parent letting him near the flames?

To be honest that was the only time he got near it as any longer might result in an accident or my dinner getting burnt I took over at the BBQ stage but let him have his moment for his video :eek: plus his mom was there behind me with a power hose and a fire extinguisher

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

martic - You should seriously think about setting up a blog or your own website. :)

Hill Billy wrote: »
    martic - You should seriously think about setting up a blog or your own website. :)

Lol its hard enough updating the facebook group set up for his videos :D
    On a different note TV3 E-mailed and were wondering would we be interested in them showing his videos on a weekly bases for a while on "This morning show" after they aired his lasagne video a few weeks ago so it would be great if this was to happen.

Ciaran's as good as ever in this video - and I like the menu in your house!
    Love his hairstyle too. Let us know if/when he'll be on tv3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

brilliant videos :) I'm learning a fair bit to be honest :)
    congrats! keep up the cooking :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭CaptainPendulum

This is simply fantastic. There is definately a commercial side to this but I'd be careful to ensure that the little fella carries on cooking because he wants to. Great to see such talent at a young age. Perhaps Nevin will be in touch..

Advertisement