Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimax

• 30-05-2011 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭

Has anyone tried gaming on a wimax connection?
    I'm thinking of ditching eircom.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

i bet everyone that sees this thread is singing the wimax song in their head. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

i bet everyone that sees this thread is singing the wimax song in their head. :D

I hate that you're right :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Havent used it myself but it would be worth the gamble, no line rental its win win.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

Singing it!?..I'm playing the shaggin thing on the guitar!! Damn you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

The thing with Wimax or similar providers is that it's all reliant on the signal you can get. Poor signal can affect pings and increase latency.

You really need fixed line DSL for consistent online gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

I have the 7mb one for 40 a month in wexford and i get great signal, overall not too bad! my friend has eircom and its sh!te!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Avoid. Even 1mb DSL would be better than 10mb wimax in terms of gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

Have 5mb wimax and play online daily, no issues at all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Scarlet42

I have had it now for nearly a year and never had any problems with connection or speed.. would deffo reccomend!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eimear10

just got wimax and there is only 1 bar of coverage in my house. Should i ditch it ?

Can anyone please recommend broadband that you dont need a phone line for and is suitable for xbox and laptop ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Is one bar of coverage enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Scarlet42

what happens when you move it around the house .. its a bit like the oul rabbits ears..one corner of our living room had one bar while the other .. beside the window had the full four/five .. i have it connected to xbox and ps3 and have had no probs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

eimear10 wrote: »
    just got wimax and there is only 1 bar of coverage in my house. Should i ditch it ?

Can anyone please recommend broadband that you dont need a phone line for and is suitable for xbox and laptop ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

how is the connection with 1 bar of coverage? are web pages taking longer to load than you're used to?

do tests on these 2 sites and post up your results:
    speedtest
    pingtest

we can offer better advice once we have some sort of reference.

Also, upc offer possibly the best ISP product in Ireland. . . if it's available in your area. It's cable as well so it does not go through the phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭opinionated3

have the wimax for over 1 month now. perfect for online gaming so far but had to run a 10mtr ethernet cable to my upstairs room for connection. the ps3 would not pick it up wirelessly which was quite frankly disappointing as a live in a dormer bungalow. laptop won't pick up the signal when its 2 rooms away either. 7mb for 35 euro a month - sounded good but wireless connection is definitely questionable. hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

I use the O2 hotspot, 20euro a month, 15GB allowance, no issues for gaming... live in Dublin City Centre

thanks for the replies...

When i get to the setup page when it reconfirms your details im just getting , "there is an error with your signal" so unfortunately i cant even check the speed of it...

Also I would love UPC but they dont do my area "carrickmines"

Any any other companies ?

Thanks again guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I have 10mb Imagine wimax with perfect reception so far. My download and upload are fairly consistent and tend to exceed the 10mb/512kb download/upload ratio but wimax is brutal for playing on xbox live. Aside from that it's fine for browsing the internet and downloading. Stick with Eircom, I've heard far too many horror stories about wimax but my broadband options were very limited so I didn't have much of a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rockypoint

i had wimax in waterford for a year (3mb) and it was way better than upc, i never had a problem. i've recently moved to cork and i am delighted with it there as well:)

Advertisement