Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord threats over deposit

Options
  • 30-05-2011 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hey guys, hope you can offer some advice here for a first-time em, mover-outer!

Basically my 2 friends and I are moving out of our house, we have cleaned the house and it is, imho, in a better condition to what we moved into last year.

However, the landlord has said that if we don't clean out all cupboards of (her) cutlery and delph, pull all the weeds in the garden, scrub the oven and fridge and a few other things that we will not get our full deposit and she will take €100 off each of us to pay for cleaning.

Being the naive first-time renters that we are, we didn't take photos when we moved in of the state of the house.

Where do we stand on this seen-as-though we're already moved out.

Particularly on the cleaning of the garden outside, is that our responsibility?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Did the landlord check the property when you were moving out? Its too late now for pics if you have already moved out I suppose, if the landlord withholds depsoit all you can do is raise the issue with prtb, tell her of your intention to do this though. I had my last landlord check the house before we moved, he hugged us and kissed up and couldnt believe I was on my hands and knees cleaning before moving, I even topped up the paint in some rooms yet a week later he called giving out about weeds, in weather where we really couldnt go out and weed... point is most will find a reason to complain no matter what!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭endac1

Thanks for the reply.

I guess we'll live and learn over taking pictures and stuff.

The point is that we painted three of the rooms for free and spent days cleaning the garden, the oven and the fridge which were in rag order when we moved in.

But I suppose we can't really prove that can we?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

endac1 wrote: »
    But I suppose we can't really prove that can we?
    You have no need to prove it, it is up to the landlord to prove that there was damage done beyond "ordinary wear and tear" before she is allowed retain any of your deposit.

Tell her you'll bring a case to the PRTB and she'll soon change her tune.
    Being the naive first-time renters that we are, we didn't take photos when we moved in of the state of the house.

You still have the keys though, right? Never give the keys back until you get your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I feel your pain, I redecorated the whole of our last house, with landlords perission at my own expense. I even relaid the lawns, cut down the overgrown trees and replanted the gardens, as you can imagine, cost quite a bit of money. I think if they have nothing to complain about in the house they must resort to weeds, I mean we moved 3 months ago so it wasnt really the weather to be going out digging up the garden.....

Unless she can proof the money she spent on 'fixing' any damage left she will be told by prtb to refund the full deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 vodaspybot

:Pi had a similiar issue with a landlord ,he had let himself in and the place was like a tip (was away for a week and didnt clean the place) he proceeded to change the locks and threatened to keep our stuff and our deposit,we called to the prtb and he soon changed his tune as he wasnt a registered landlord , heel of the hunt, he gave us a cheque for 1200 each ,we got all our stuff back and we didnt even have to tidy up,**** him for bein a bullying asshole,all landlords the same,your just a wage to them at the end of the month so screw your landlord and stand firm,they wouldnt give a second thought about turfing you on the street so dont be all polite,take her to prtb and try and get extra money out of her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

Basically my 2 friends and I are moving out of our house, we have cleaned the house and it is, imho, in a better condition to what we moved into last year.

However, the landlord has said that if we don't clean out all cupboards of (her) cutlery and delph, pull all the weeds in the garden, scrub the oven and fridge and a few other things that we will not get our full deposit and she will take €100 off each of us to pay for cleaning.

You are meant to maintain gardens if they are rented with the house and you have the use of them. You also need to have the oven clean and fridge, etc.,.

basically, the place should in the most part be the same level as when you moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

You have no need to prove it, it is up to the landlord to prove that there was damage done beyond "ordinary wear and tear" before she is allowed retain any of your deposit.

Tell her you'll bring a case to the PRTB and she'll soon change her tune.You still have the keys though, right? Never give the keys back until you get your deposit.

I would have thought the end of the tenancy means the keys are returned. A joitn inspection with the landlord and tenants should be done - and damages/cleaning identified accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Tell her you'll bring a case to the PRTB and she'll soon change her tune.

Some landlords are too stupid, don't know the rules and think they are always right.

If there was no inventory done at the start of the tenancy, stating all the items and their condition (including flooring and walls etc.) and signed by you, then the landlord has no proof of their condition and cannot retain any of the deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭autonomy

Knock him out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

autonomy wrote: »
    Knock him out

No violence or threats of violence please.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Do you have receipts for your rent? If so, politely tell the bitch that if she doesn't produce the deposit then you are taking the rental receipts straight to the Inland Revenue. Chances are she is not declaring tax on her rental income. Choice is hers. She can ante-up and give back the deposit fair and square or she can spend the next 6 months being audited by some blood-thirsty tax officer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Has she tenants due to move in ?.
    If she has tell her you're staying for a month to get the value out of your retained deposit.
    That might move things along faster.

I've been caught like that before & learned the hard way.
    I was 11 years renting & every landlord tried to trick me out of some or all of my deposit when leaving.
    I found the best way to ensure full return was to remove goods to the value of the shortfall.
    Kitchen chairs, tv stands & bed lockers were the handiest.
    Return nothing until the money is in your account.
    They'll threaten the guards who never want to know & it's no more illegal than their theft of your money in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭endac1

Thanks again for all the replies, sorry I wasn't able to reply more.

We had a meeting with the landlord's sister, who it turns out made the original threats. She said it was just a misunderstanding (one of us may have mentioned the PRTB) and she will speak to her sister.

Got a text this morning saying that the deposit is on its way into my account.

Cheers for all your help! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Good result, take the kitchen chairs anyway, that'll teach them :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Good result, take the kitchen chairs anyway, that'll teach them :D:D:D

= Theft.

Advertisement