Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FRENCH QUESTION!!!!

• 30-05-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Ok back here again about French

Oral went really well! on all aspects - better than last year!

But........

What do i need to do NOW and cover now to get a D3/D2?

Help!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dtmc

I'd repeatedly practice past aural exams and past comprehensions as the style of questions in both of these sections doesn't change dramatically from year to year. After that, know your layouts for diary entries and letters(formal/informal) inside out and learn any phrases your teacher has given you relating to these topics. Should manage a D2/D3 then if you do these reasonably well considering the oral went well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

dtmc wrote: »
    I'd repeatedly practice past aural exams and past comprehensions as the style of questions in both of these sections doesn't change dramatically from year to year. After that, know your layouts for diary entries and letters(formal/informal) inside out and learn any phrases your teacher has given you relating to these topics. Should manage a D2/D3 then if you do these reasonably well considering the oral went well!

Thank you! :)

Um. . .what topics for the reaction eg Alcohol etc would be good?

Thanks again

Pretty difficult to predict that, if you have a reasonably broad knowledge of vocab relating to the economy etc, you could manage questions regarding the recession, unemployment even a question regarding the government as you could talk about how they are dealing with the economy. Apart from that drugs, sport and other hobbies and then possibly the environment and internet would be my advice but like I said it's impossible to predict.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Its gotta be tape all the way, easy marks

Its gotta be tape all the way, easy marks

Yup, defo on my study plan this week!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

I'm preparing
    Alcohol, Drugs, Smoking
    Economy
    Crime
    Technology
    Environment

I'll probably look over sport, education and the government.

I've heard that the environment and the internet could be important, I'd give them special attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

The govt, economy and unemployment is obviously topical and it would be easy enough to mould the reaction to fit the given question if you just learn one sample answer for all three of them. Same with sport, fitness, healthly lifestyle, drink and drugs etc.

The comprehensions are worth ridiculous marks though (120 compared to 100 for the three written pieces and 80 for the listening) so you may want to get praticising them.

How about facebook/social networking coming up?

Thats fairly big over the last 2years!

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    How about facebook/social networking coming up?

Thats fairly big over the last 2years!
    Yeah it's very possible that this will appear somewhere on the paper, even a comprehension on the film The Social Network could appear so it might be an idea to look up some French newspaper/magazine articles about the film as you would get a huge amount of relevant vocab. from one of them.

Here's one article about the social network, there are loads more there just go to news.google.fr and search The Social Network- check the archive section then as the relevant articles would've been published over a month ago

http://www.lefigaro.fr/cinema/2010/10/12/03002-20101012ARTFIG00737-the-social-network-david-fincher-le-genie.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

off topic question here but its still french;
    in the mock(not sure which 1) the examiner forgot to correct a question in the comprehension.it was the one titled "Reporters sans frontieres".Can anyone tell me the answer to Q4.(multiple choice)?
    this may seem absolutely pointless to some people but it could push me up a grade which wud be nice...

sooooooooouuund

Can we rule out fashion and immigration at least since it was up last year?

Im so lost with french. Sat down yesterday with it, got overwhelmed, cried, moved onto history.....:mad:

Ugh......FML!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

MikeHough wrote: »
    off topic question here but its still french;
    in the mock(not sure which 1) the examiner forgot to correct a question in the comprehension.it was the one titled "Reporters sans frontieres".Can anyone tell me the answer to Q4.(multiple choice)?
    this may seem absolutely pointless to some people but it could push me up a grade which wud be nice...

sooooooooouuund

Dude its only like 10-12 days till the french exam. Id say throw the mock in the bin at this stage ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Can we rule out fashion and immigration at least since it was up last year?

Im so lost with french. Sat down yesterday with it, got overwhelmed, cried, moved onto history.....:mad:

Ugh......FML!

I'd say the government/economy is likely enough immigration/emigration could be useful. No idea about fashion. (For the exam as in life, wha?)

Is it safe to say ive 20-25% already and all I need is 20% ?:eek: Still worrying, So knowing how this works would help of anyone knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Well if you think that you got over 80/100 in your oral yep...... And I think a pass is 38% ..... from what I have heard. And your two comprehensions are worth 30% so if you are good at comprehensions you will be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Didn't want to make another thread for this.
    I plan on covering this up until the day before the exam then doing it twice. I probably won't get it all covered but if I set out a lot of work i'm going to get a good chunk of it done.

- 4 Comprehensions
    - 4 Opinions
    - 1 Tape
    - Study Opinion phrases
    - Study Tenses
    - Study Vocab
    - Read French online/magazine
    - Listen to French radio
    - Watch French Movie

What do ye think? Should I add in anything or do more/less of anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

NotExactly wrote: »
    Didn't want to make another thread for this.
    I plan on covering this up until the day before the exam then doing it twice. I probably won't get it all covered but if I set out a lot of work i'm going to get a good chunk of it done.

- 4 Comprehensions
    - 4 Opinions
    - 1 Tape
    - Study Opinion phrases
    - Study Tenses
    - Study Vocab
    - Read French online/magazine
    - Listen to French radio
    - Watch French Movie

What do ye think? Should I add in anything or do more/less of anything?

Perhaps add about 20 mins of looking over grammer. You know agreement and stuff like that you never know what could have escaped!

Perhaps add about 20 mins of looking over grammer. You know agreement and stuff like that you never know what could have escaped!

Cool thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

I wouldn't bother doing 4 comprehensions... they're time consuming and to be honest you're probably already as good as you're gonna get. I'd recommend doing one or maybe two just to see where you're at and to reassure yourself... I think the time for doing comprehensions has passed, honestly.

• Advertisement

Framble wrote: »
    I think the time for doing comprehensions has passed, honestly.

I see where you're coming from but comprehensions are my weakest point. It's so frustrating. I could get 50 in one of them then 20 in the next. I might do 3 comprehensions a day instead and work more on vocab which will also help my tape. What do you think?

Advertisement