Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a video camera

Options
  • 30-05-2011 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Hope this is the right forum.
    I am looking for a video camera to do some videos that will be published on a website. The videos will be quite straightforward - person standing in front of camera talking about a product or service. I will then add some overlaid text and edit in some presentation slides later.
    I dont think I need anything anywhere near top of the line for such a job but I am unsure what min requirements I should be looking at.
    Do I pay extra for a camera that has good sound capture or just get a seperate mic for the sound element (if so, what type/kind)? Sound clarity/quality will obviously be important for these types of video.
    I would like the option to record in B&W - it can be more forgiving!
    As for budget, I guess as low as I can get away with initially - I can always upgrade later.
    I know I can hire professional cameras at 60+ per day but if I can buy something good for the equivalent of a few days rental, then obviously that would make more sense.
    Many Thanks for any replies/advice
    ArtyM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭The Duke of Moral Hazard

ArtyM wrote: »
    Hi
    Hope this is the right forum.
    I am looking for a video camera to do some videos that will be published on a website. The videos will be quite straightforward - person standing in front of camera talking about a product or service. I will then add some overlaid text and edit in some presentation slides later.
    I dont think I need anything anywhere near top of the line for such a job but I am unsure what min requirements I should be looking at.
    Do I pay extra for a camera that has good sound capture or just get a seperate mic for the sound element (if so, what type/kind)? Sound clarity/quality will obviously be important for these types of video.
    I would like the option to record in B&W - it can be more forgiving!
    As for budget, I guess as low as I can get away with initially - I can always upgrade later.
    I know I can hire professional cameras at 60+ per day but if I can buy something good for the equivalent of a few days rental, then obviously that would make more sense.
    Many Thanks for any replies/advice
    ArtyM

Hi, I recommend that you aim for something that has the ability to take an XLR connection for sound. The quality of your sound will make all the difference to the final product. Sony have some entry models that can do this but I reckon they're the best part of a grand.

Alternatively you could aim for a DSLR camera that can handle video. The Panasonic GH1 has great video capability and has built in stereo sound. If you had the know-how, you could sync the video with a separate sound recording device. There are some great offers on GH1s if your willing to shop around.

EDIT: Here's a good buy from the States:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/760894-REG/Panasonic_DMC_GH1KBODY_Lumix_DMC_GH1_Digital_Camera.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Dont record in black and white, because then the footage is stuck like that and don't have the option to go back to colour.

Record in colour and change it to black and white in post. Otherwise you are really limiting yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Many Thanks guys for your advice and suggestions. I appreciate you taking the time to help me on this.
    Regards
    ArtyM

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

Hey,

You always need a seperate mic. Full stop. I bought a canon xm2 a couple years ago for 1700 from a grey import distributor from England. Camera is great. Not HD but standard definition. Bought a 100 euro shotgun mic and away you go.
    You dont need a 3-chip camcorder by the sounds of it if its only for the web.
    For even better sounf you could go to eurotek.ie and get a entry level sennheiser radio mic kit that is plug and play(no need for xlr inputs and phantom power this or that)Mine cost 600 euro.
    For you I would say look at hd cams from Sony etc in the 500-1500 price range and get a shotgun mic and film close to the subject in a controlled quiet environment.
    If yo are going HD, what computer do u use and graphics card....you may need to upgrade..I know my 2mb, quadcore pc cant handle HD footage in realtime editing.
    If you wanted to be real cheap, Im sure there is cheaper cams with decent quality(especially when u compress for youtube quality.add a shotgun mic and youre away.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

become a member of dvinfo.net(takes a minute) and search the forum for recommended cams in your price range, whatever that is. If you spend 500 you should get what u are looking for.
    buy a rode videomic for just over 100. this is plug and play.
    so, you will have half decent footage with half decent audio.DO NOT USE THE ONBOARD MIC!
    You might be able to even edit using windows moviemaker or buy a cheap copy of adobe premiere elements(bout 50 euro)in pc world etc.
    The cams these days would USE a sd card or such so you just capture the footage off that, no need for firewire cables etc.

Brian.

• Advertisement
Advertisement