Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rottweiller Hot Spot Help!!

• 30-05-2011 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

My 2 year old bitch rottie has a "hot spot" on her neck, the vet has given me cream and its drying up the spot and he also shaved the hair away from around it. she has her collar off the whole time now to stop it agitating

however

because of where it is she keeps scratching at it and because of this she keeps breaking through the scab when it forms and its getting slightly larger due to this

the vet reccommended to put something around her neck to stop it but she'll definitely pull a bandage or something like that off, it needs air to help it dry up too

anyone have any ideas on something i could put around her neck that will help keep air at it and stop her scratching at it??

a standard cone wont work because she'll still get at it

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Maybe try bangaging up her paws or putting socks on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Oh god, thats a tough one and i know how you feel as my rottie had a big one on the side of his face and in the end i had to get the cone as everytime it was nearly healed up he would scratch it again and it would flare up again.

What medication is your dog on? Did you vet give you steroids? As this can help with the inflammation and reduce the itch.

You could try a sock on the foot she is scratching it with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

You could try a loosely tied bandana I used one before he couldn get the nail in looked like he was wearing a ladies scarf but did the trick and stopped the other one licking off his cream! Was careful not to leave him wandering around where it could get caught on anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

A large item of clothing, maybe a polo neck, put over the spot (bandages to prevent rubbing) and down under the front legs (essentially, like a human would wear it, but you could cut off the main body part of it and much of the arm length so that it looks like a t-shirt with a long neck) would stay on and be breathable. As much as your dog might protest, it would be far more effective than just using something to cover the area - it'll have some anchorage around the upper body. Many small dog owners use baby gros or similar when they need to keep dogs away from neutering stitches so it's not too weird!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

898557000075C.jpg

Would a pro collar work better. It might cover the area more than a cone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement