Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Guitar Pro users here?

• 30-05-2011 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Was thinking about getting Guitar Pro 6, probably more as a means of recording in tab songs I have learned on guitar as well as getting some tabs to learn some others.

Whats people's experience with using Guitar Pro?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I love it and can't recommend it highly enough. It's pretty cheap at €60 given how much you can do with it. I use it as a tuner, scale trainer, chord finder, speed builder, for backing tracks to play over or harmonise with and that's all before touching its tab editing capabilities.
    There are a few things I don't like about version 6 compared to version 5. For one thing the method used to enter percussion has been completely replaced and it's a lot more fiddly in my opinion. Mind you, if you're coming to it fresh that may not be an issue for you.

I also hate the sound of palm-muted guitar in version 6. Somehow they have managed to make it sound terrible regardless of what combination of guitar, effects and amp are used. When I contacted them about it they said they had no plans to fix this.

The best thing to do is grab the demo version, have a play with it and post up any questions you have about it on here. I'll do my best to answer them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

pretty cool and its the norm now considering powertab went a bit awol and outdated

its handy software alrite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

using 5.2 for the last few years, its amaizing. a must have for every tab learner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭bayles

Guitar pro is great when its working !!!!

I have been using it for years and it has been a fantastic tool for me . Im a Bass player ( predominantly a session player) and sometimes i find myself having to learn 20 or 30 songs in a week for a gig or a wedding on the coming weekend and it helps cut down on a stack of work trying to learn tracks .

Here is my problem with it though , i have been using Guitar Pro 5.2 for years and never had an issue with it untill they released there latest version . Now im not a suspicious person like yer man from the Corrs but i find it strange that this happened and the more digging i do i realise im not alone . I have a link up here somewhere trying to figure out the problem (Malice replied to it also) . For no reason i started having problems downloading tracks and then all of a sudden there was no sound on any of the tracks i managed to download or the ones i have saved and i still dont have it sorted . When i got back onto the company i got it from (Arobas Music) they told me it wasnt there problem and to post a message on there forum in the hope that mabey someone could solve the problem. They also told me that i can have the latest version for €30 because i already have 5.2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Like i said im not a suspicious guy normally but i find this very very strange . The only advice i can give you is yes buy it but if you have any issues dont rely on Arobas to help if thats who you get it from.
    I went to the trouble of wiping it off my PC redownloading fresh and putting in my passwords but it still doesnt work . Also dont bother with "My songbook.com" the copywrite has put a block on any guitar pro downloads just go to 911 tabs .com its handier .

Buy it but thread carefully and see what happens when Guitar Pro 7 is on the market :rolleyes:

Regards

Bayles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Thanks for the detailed feedback guys. I currently have Riffmaster Pro as a learning aid and it's pretty good for slowing down tracks, changing key, looping on specific parts, etc. However, Guitar Pro looks like a worthwhile purchase. I downloaded and installed the demo but it is very limited in what you can do, e.g. you can only open the sample files that come with the demo. It would be better if they just gave you a 15 day or 30 day licence to evaluate the full product like other software vendors.

Think I'll get it after I get my gear upgrades/repairs sorted first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

bayles wrote: »
    I have a link up here somewhere trying to figure out the problem (Malice replied to it also).
    That would be this thread.
    bayles wrote:
    For no reason i started having problems downloading tracks and then all of a sudden there was no sound on any of the tracks i managed to download or the ones i have saved and i still dont have it sorted .
    That's not quite the same issue you described in the thread I linked to though. Rather than take this thread off-topic, if you want to update your thead with more info I will see if I can help fix your no sound issue.
    bayles wrote:
    post a message on there forum in the hope that mabey someone could solve the problem.
    I didn't even know they had a forum. I must go and check it out.
    bayles wrote:
    They also told me that i can have the latest version for €30 because i already have 5.2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    Isn't that a good thing? They're offering you a 50% discount on the regular price.
    bayles wrote:
    dont rely on Arobas to help if thats who you get it from.
    There's no one else to get technical support from. Even if you buy it through Thomann or somewhere like that, it's still an Arobas product and presumably Thomann won't be able to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭bayles

Hi Malice

Those problems started to develop after my origional post , As far as there forum goes get onto the Guitar Pro website you will need your "key" that you would have got when you downloaded the software to register , i will try and post the link when i get a chance .
    As far as offering me a discounted rate i just feel i am being conned a bit because i was quite happy with 5.2 and i just think it strange that these "gremlins" entered the system not long after 6.0 was released .
    And as far as backup goes i bought directly from arobas so i dont know what the position would be if you bought through Thomann or Musicstore i cant comment on that , my issue is with Arobas

Advertisement