Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Match Thread*** Tue 31/5 20:15 WES2 -v- SMH

• 30-05-2011 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

The tough games are coming thick and fast, another performance like last week please lads.

Clay - in
    Conor - in
    Keith - in
    Gav - in
    Jules - in
    Ciaran - in
    Martin - in
    Gary - in
    Eamon - inj
    Kenny - in
    Cathal - in
    Eoin - in
    Collie - away
    Anto -
    Karl - work
    Wes - in
    Joe - in

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Out next 3 games will be season defining lads. SMH, the monks and ss. Let's get into this game from the off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I'm in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

A 5-0 defeat and we were beaten by a much better team on the night. They're a good side and we'll need to be at our best next time, but we were miles away from our best tonight and if we do play near our best we can absolutely reverse this defeat.

That was a good constructive chat after and it's important to hear everyone's thoughts on what to learn and improve from each game. From even that brief chat, here's the things that we all need to take onboard from next time:

-better communication when making changes. Man coming on has to deliver the instructions to those around him and get a nod to show they've got it. Those around the player coming on need to tell him what's what, who his man is etc.

-Wingers and full backs need to be narrower when we don't have the ball, that way they're close enough to press the space the centre midfielders/halves are trying to marshall. Add width as we go up the pitch, narrower as we go back towards our own goal to get more compact. Center halves/midfielders are to call the fullbacks/wingers in towards them if they feel we're getting stretched laterally.

-More communication around the park, doesn't need to be shouting, just constant chatting between those playing near each other, they were much more vocal than us tonight.

-too often we're caught on our heels not expecting a 2nd ball or deflection, doesn't help us win those breaking balls, need to be on the toes, literally, more often.

-need to have a bit more bite in the tackle all around the park. Not breaking lads up, we're just too far on the polite side of that balance at the moment.

-Eoin is the corner taker in general, but if someone is on it and wants to take it quick, every so often mixing it up like that is ok.

If we even take a few of those points onboard and keep them in mind next week, that'll be a very good use of 10 minutes of chat. Let's start making it right from next week and focus on pushing up and getting the ball down to play our own game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

[2nd half view]

I don't think anyone can argue that was a pretty comprehensive defeat. However I have seen Boardeaux play worse, namely at 3Rock and a 4-0 deficit to Templeogue Astros. One season later, Boardeaux win the league with that same team in it and comfortably beat them twice. So the team has the ability to bounce back in style...

I thought the game was far too stretched to suit Boardeaux. There were three sometimes four men upfront right up the defenders' backsides. They had three upfront too, practically standing in the penalty area. Between the two lines which were maybe 50m (?) apart was a chasm of midfield which their runners overloaded and always provided an option and killed the game right there. They had so many 2-on-1 and 3-on-2 to benefit from. The full backs and midfield where a lot of the creativity and control comes from were worn out covering back and forth. As soon as either full back went forward, they exposed a large gap. The distance they then had to cover to track back or conversely bomb forward was just too great. For one passage of play, Keith was stuck going back and forth like a yoyo trying to get involved in the game. :)

[/2nd half view]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Just to say thanks for the game lads. didn't realise til after that we were playing you as I was travelling all day. It was a good game and I think we played pretty well. You were very offensive and we needed to be strong at the back. We were good at that and that gave us the platform to hit you hard on the break. There's a clear divide in the league but I would still say you're among the better teams. We were fairly lethal when we needed to be, but by the end we could conceivably have scored a couple more when you were pushing on.

Anyway hopefully you'll take a few points off some of the other guys!

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

ankles wrote: »
    Just to say thanks for the game lads. didn't realise til after that we were playing you as I was travelling all day. It was a good game and I think we played pretty well. You were very offensive and we needed to be strong at the back. We were good at that and that gave us the platform to hit you hard on the break. There's a clear divide in the league but I would still say you're among the better teams. We were fairly lethal when we needed to be, but by the end we could conceivably have scored a couple more when you were pushing on.

Anyway hopefully you'll take a few points off some of the other guys!

Good luck.

Fair play fella. That's a fair reflection of how it was on the night but don't doubt for a second that it'll be a different ball game next time! All the best.

Advertisement