Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Wireless Speed This Slow

Options
  • 30-05-2011 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Ive got the new 50Mbs Broadband Phone Tv package with UPC.
    When i use the internet with the cable plugged in i get between 42Mbs - 55Mbs Download speed. But when i use it Wireless i get between 10Mbs-15Mbs. Is this about right or could there be a signal problem.
    All in all im very happy with my package but just making sure that speed wireless is the norm.
    Tagged:

Comments

Normally the max you get out of (what I assume you have is) 802.11G is 18-22Mb. If you want to get improved speed over wireless you'll need an 802.11N adapter.

Something like this:
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/LINKSYS-WUSB100-RangePlus-Wireless-Network-USB-Adapter/296360/148.3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You need to check if your wireless is sharing a channel with your neighbors also as that will kill your speed. But the main point is to make sure both devices are N. My laptop gets the full 50mb on the wireless connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

You need to check if your wireless is sharing a channel with your neighbors also as that will kill your speed. But the main point is to make sure both devices are N. My laptop gets the full 50mb on the wireless connection.

Wow
    You get the full 50mbs with wireless thats good going.
    What do you mean make sure both devices are N, dont know what you mean by that.
    Might look into getting the device laughingjoker was on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭burrentech

mick087 wrote: »
    Wow
    You get the full 50mbs with wireless thats good going.
    What do you mean make sure both devices are N, dont know what you mean by that.
    Might look into getting the device laughingjoker was on about.

802.11G, and 802.11N are specifications for the wireless hardware. Effectively they define the max speed the device will transmit and receive data at.

If you buy an 'N' router and your laptop/PC has a 'G' wireless device, you've wasted your time because you'll only ever get the max speed of the slowest device :(

So before rushing off to buy the 'N' router, make sure your PC can make use of it. Check the specs on your PC, either the manual or the company's website.

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

"N" is only faster than "G" when its the only device connected wirelessly and in the same room, two "N" devices transferring data can bring the speeds back to below max "G" speeds. Any device that can be cabled, should definitely be cabled, to keep wireless for convenience with mobile devices only.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    "N" is only faster than "G" when its the only device connected wirelessly and in the same room, two "N" devices transferring data can bring the speeds back to below max "G" speeds. Any device that can be cabled, should definitely be cabled, to keep wireless for convenience with mobile devices only.

Not technically correct. The devices would have to be actively transmitting & receiving at the same time to bring the speeds down. Definitely if you can wire in devices that be you'll significantly improve their throughput. Unless you have more than one device access HD video on an 'N' network the speeds will be significantly higher than with 'G'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Check is what Channel your router is using and if there are any wifi networks nearby which could be using a conflicting channel. use InSSIDer to check this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

One thing that is semi-implied in some of the posts but I don't think is made very clear:

Besides the fact that having 2xN devices will cut speeds, if the wireless devices around your house use a combination of N and G card and are connected at the same time, the max speeds you will see are G speeds. If you want to maximise your speeds, you should replace all your devices with N cards.

BOZG wrote: »
    One thing that is semi-implied in some of the posts but I don't think is made very clear:

Besides the fact that having 2xN devices will cut speeds, if the wireless devices around your house use a combination of N and G card and are connected at the same time, the max speeds you will see are G speeds. If you want to maximise your speeds, you should replace all your devices with N cards.

Not strictly correct. You can set up you network to mix both G and N devices, and you'll have configure the security differently for the N devices. Getting it all working together will also depend on the capabilities of the router. It can all be done, but requires some work. The simplest solution may be to upgrade to all N hardware, however that's not always practical, or possible.

A network has a maximum capacity, if you have multiple devices active, and they're transmitting/receiving data simultaneously then each device will show a lower trans/recv speed, that does not mean the network is running below its maximum speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭alwaystherain

I have the same problem.But i have never heard of 802.11N adapte or N G cards.

If i was to get all this stuff would i need a expert to put it all in and set up or is this easy for a novice?

Mick087 i was told by UPC that its normal to get a slower speed from wireless, but now it seems maybe this was not the complete story.

burrentech wrote: »
    Not strictly correct. You can set up you network to mix both G and N devices, and you'll have configure the security differently for the N devices. Getting it all working together will also depend on the capabilities of the router. It can all be done, but requires some work. The simplest solution may be to upgrade to all N hardware, however that's not always practical, or possible.

A network has a maximum capacity, if you have multiple devices active, and they're transmitting/receiving data simultaneously then each device will show a lower trans/recv speed, that does not mean the network is running below its maximum speed.

I'm glad that you corrected me in that case. Anything I've ever read stated the opposite to be honest though they never really went into the finer details of it. Any good articles that you're aware of dealing with how to configure mixed networks correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Mick087 i was told by UPC that its normal to get a slower speed from wireless, but now it seems maybe this was not the complete story.

What's not complete about the answer? Apart for being true?

I have the same problem.But i have never heard of 802.11N adapte or N G cards.

If i was to get all this stuff would i need a expert to put it all in and set up or is this easy for a novice?

It depends on what type of equipment you want. The straightforward option is to pick up a Wireless N USB dongle. The alternative is to install a Wireless N PCI card which is straightforward enough but not everyone is at ease with opening up their computer to install one.

BOZG wrote: »
    I'm glad that you corrected me in that case. Anything I've ever read stated the opposite to be honest though they never really went into the finer details of it. Any good articles that you're aware of dealing with how to configure mixed networks correctly?

There are so many ifs and buts when it comes to networking. I found this article interesting. I guess it depends on how many G and N devices are in your network, and how important it is that they all communicate together at the same time. Not forgetting that non-network devices (such as in-house TV signal transmitters) can have an effect on wireless network performance. Pause for deep breath! :o

Not forgetting that if your download speed says 50mb, that doesn't mean the internet server you're downloading from can handle the same speed ;)

For most people I doubt there would be a big problem, unless all your kids are gamers, and everyone likes watching HD programs on their PCs and all use wireless only :eek:

I think one of the suggestions in the link above suggests using a separate G router for the G devices, and configure your N router for N communications only. Using UTP to get the two devices to talk to each other. This raises the issue of bridging, DHCP servers, etc.

I think this is why network administrators get paid so well :D

I have the same problem.But i have never heard of 802.11N adapter or N G cards.

UPC probably mean you'll get a slower speed when compared to a wired connection from your PC. Which is true, but they may not have made that part clear.

The numbers and letters refer to the design of how these network devices will work.

Each case for perceived slow network response could be different and help desks from the likes of UPC will only give you general statements unless they find a specific issue with their equipment.

What is your current set up, and what are your specific speed issues? A basic home network is fairly easy to set up as they come pre-configured out of the box. It only starts to get more complicated when you want to do non-standard stuff.

burrentech wrote: »
    There are so many ifs and buts when it comes to networking. I found this article interesting. I guess it depends on how many G and N devices are in your network, and how important it is that they all communicate together at the same time. Not forgetting that non-network devices (such as in-house TV signal transmitters) can have an effect on wireless network performance. Pause for deep breath! :o

Not forgetting that if your download speed says 50mb, that doesn't mean the internet server you're downloading from can handle the same speed ;)

For most people I doubt there would be a big problem, unless all your kids are gamers, and everyone likes watching HD programs on their PCs and all use wireless only :eek:

I think one of the suggestions in the link above suggests using a separate G router for the G devices, and configure your N router for N communications only. Using UTP to get the two devices to talk to each other. This raises the issue of bridging, DHCP servers, etc.

I think this is why network administrators get paid so well :D

Yeah, it sounds like it's potentially a lot of hassle. And I think the best solution is to just use wired connections. :)

Thankfully we've a Cat5e network in the office and the router in my house sits in my bedroom. It's a three storey house so the argument of it providing a better reception if it's situated in the middle seems entirely acceptable to my housemates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've configured my UPC thomson router to be 802.11N only. I've got my previous g router plugged in also but on another channel. Now my N speeds are not affected by other devices using g.

Wouldn't want all my neighbours doing the same as the spectrum would get clogged up pretty quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

We got wireless fitted in today and the boy said that the speed would be around 15mb but we got 37mb so we must be lucky but your speed would be about write. Btw can you increase the speed anyway? It would be class to get higher than that!

Advertisement