Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charge for fencer

• 30-05-2011 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey there.

Just wondering whats peoples thoughts on this. A man took land beside me roughly 6-7 years ago. He asked could he run his fencer from my yard to his field. I had no problem with this at the time but recently I've being thinking should I have charged him for the ESB. He seems a decent type, never had any trouble with him or his cattle(not like the man he has the land taken off :rolleyes:).

Should I approach him or am I just being stingy?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Hey there.

Just wondering whats peoples thoughts on this. A man took land beside me roughly 6-7 years ago. He asked could he run his fencer from my yard to his field. I had no problem with this at the time but recently I've being thinking should I have charged him for the ESB. He seems a decent type, never had any trouble with him or his cattle(not like the man he has the land taken off :rolleyes:).

I wouldn't ask him for anything as it is probably only about twenty quid a year. Having said that I have a similar arrangement with a guy on land that I rent and I throw him in a bottle of brandy and a tin of USA assorted biscuits at X-mas. I have also emptied his septic tank twice at no charge. Maybe he is winning without getting any money.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hey there.

A one sided deal is no deal it's a gift :rolleyes:
    Do you get nothing... lend of a trailer or anything from this guy.
    It's a bit mean on his behalf...

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

for 10 or 15 euro a year there is no point falling out with the man. im sure he will do u a turn some day.

and just think of the damage the cattle would do to your garden if the fence was not working and the hassle there would be then.

its only the cost of a standard light bulb.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bogman Billy

bbam wrote: »
    A one sided deal is no deal it's a gift :rolleyes:
    Do you get nothing... lend of a trailer or anything from this guy.
    It's a bit mean on his behalf...

That's what I'm thinking. But never needed anything off him. Now that I think of it he borrowed a sledge hammer and crowbar off me a few yrs ago and returned them as promised but after that it's just a salute or hello the odd time we cross paths.
    Wonder should I bring it up and kinda hint at it next time I see him, I'm not very confrontational?!

That's what I'm thinking. But never needed anything off him. Now that I think of it he borrowed a sledge hammer and crowbar off me a few yrs ago and returned them as promised but after that it's just a salute or hello the odd time we cross paths.
    Wonder should I bring it up and kinda hint at it next time I see him, I'm not very confrontational?!

If you look for money you are going to look like a right stinge. I'd say get a favour or two in return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

If you look for money you are going to look like a right stinge. I'd say get a favour or two in return.

+1

would he be handy to help move animals across a road on occasion for example?

49801 wrote: »
    +1

would he be handy to help move animals across a road on occasion for example?

Never needed his help or a favour since he came round the place so not gonna start asking now for the sake of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

Hey there.

you left it too long now to be asking for money now you would be safer to let it go its only 20 euro a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

The Trees and the Axe

A MAN came into a forest and asked the Trees to provide him a
    handle for his Axe. The Trees consented to his request and gave
    him a young ash-tree. No sooner had the man fitted a new handle
    to his Axe from it, than he began to use it and quickly felled
    with his strokes the noblest giants of the forest. An old oak,
    lamenting when too late the destruction of his companions, said
    to a neighboring cedar, "The first step has lost us all. If we
    had not given up the rights of the ash, we might yet have
    retained our own privileges and have stood for ages."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Round here nearly everyone has fragmented farms thanks to a complete and utter ba11sup made by the land commission years ago. My land is in 4 bits. So if someone asks for power for a fence we will always give it, because the person giving it will need power on some other bit of land on an outfarm.

I give power to two neighbours(possibly three) and get power from 2 other neighbours, one of whom I gave a right of way to between two of his plots.

Share and share alike. It only uses about 5yoyo worth of juice a year. I see you are in Leitrim, I thought it was only Cavan ppl who had a reputation for meanness?:(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    Share and share alike. It only uses about 5yoyo worth of juice a year. I see you are in Leitrim, I thought it was only Cavan ppl who had a reputation for meanness?:(

Well another poster reckons it's 20 euro a year, big difference when ya multiply it by 7 years (and counting).

So you reckon I'm being mean do you, it's well for ye down in Tipp that ye can turn your nose up at 140 euro ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ryanp3

electric fences wont burn 5-10 units in a year, had one in an old house for years was the only thing burning electricity meter was never read by the esb and thats all it burnt, I guess your neighbour owes you 70 cent to 1.40 a year!!

Well another poster reckons it's 20 euro a year, big difference when ya multiply it by 7 years (and counting).

So you reckon I'm being mean do you, it's well for ye down in Tipp that ye can turn your nose up at 140 euro ;)

Do what you like but if I were him I'd take out the fencer and use a battery one. That twenty euro a year is a guess that I would imagine may be on the high side. You must have no arse in your trousers altogether if you are going to chase this guy for this few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

am I just being stingy?!

Yes is the answer to your question. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

it was just a guess i was probaly wrong but dont think its a good idea to be asking for money now after 6 or 7 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I'm shocked!:eek:

Do what you like but if I were him I'd take out the fencer and use a battery one. That twenty euro a year is a guess that I would imagine may be on the high side. You must have no arse in your trousers altogether if you are going to chase this guy for this few quid.

There are people in this country at this moment in time with "no arse in their trousers" so I wouldn't be so flippant. This country is more or less on the verge of bankruptcy and lads are struggling to pay their mortgages yet you have the audicity to look down on me for questioning whether I may be entitled to 100 odd euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

It'd be just me but if i had been in yer man's shoes and had it for 6-7 years without really knowing person id have made it my business to offer something, if money refused.. anything, bag a spuds, load of dung for the garden/flowers, few bags of logs or dose the cattle with him or something!! Just me but would never let it be said that i left someone without:)

There are people in this country at this moment in time with "no arse in their trousers" so I wouldn't be so flippant. This country is more or less on the verge of bankruptcy and lads are struggling to pay their mortgages yet you have the audicity to look down on me for questioning whether I may be entitled to 100 odd euro.

Get over it, your ship has sailed on this one mate. I came across a lady who got caught without a spare wheel about three years ago. I took it off for her and brought her and the wheel to a tyre centre to be mended. This saved her an €80 call out charge. Should I go back and ask for it now? Also if €100 is the making or breaking of you you would be as well to go broke now and not be delaying the inevitable.
    Like I said do what you like but you asked a question on here, most people said they thought it would be stingy so you got answers to your question. If you do't like the answer I'm sorry but I didn't ask the question.;)

Get over it, your ship has sailed on this one mate. I came across a lady who got caught without a spare wheel about three years ago. I took it off for her and brought her and the wheel to a tyre centre to be mended. This saved her an €80 call out charge. Should I go back and ask for it now? Also if €100 is the making or breaking of you you would be as well to go broke now and not be delaying the inevitable.
    Like I said do what you like but you asked a question on here, most people said they thought it would be stingy so you got answers to your question. If you do't like the answer I'm sorry but I didn't ask the question.;)

Completely different scenario.

If you changed her wheel and took her to the tyre centre every day for a week, come friday would you not start to question whether you are entitled to something. :cool:

Anyway think I'll keep quiet for a while till our paths cross to I see how things pan out, thanks for all the advice, interesting to read how others viewed my situation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

many years ago, my old man decided to put a mains fence in an out farm, which had no electricity. He'd had to get a connection, complete with ESB meter in an old shed. Connected the fence, and discovered that the thing was barely able to out up more than a dozen units in a full year.
    So to be honest, its not a real money issue.
    If twaz, me was your neighbour, I'd be inclined to offer the price of a couple of fence batteries, or an auld bottle if whiskey.
    But if I was you, I wouldn't even dream of asking for anything for the fence connection.
    Life is short. Don't be bothering your head with such trivial stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

You never mentioned a charge when this guy asked you could he get power so it's a bad idea to look for money for the years he has it, if you feel strongly that he should pay for the power from now on, go talk to him but i suspect your not the one that's questioning the giving of free power!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

We got main electiricty in on the beef farm, the fencer is the only thing running off it, can't remember off hand but the 6 monthly bill usually comes in at less than 2 euro.

20 euro per annum is way off

Fencers use very little power

If it were me i defo would NOT be asking for any money from him, what it has cost you over the last 7 years isn't worth talking about

However if i was the neighbour i would also have done one of 2 things:
    a) bought a battery fence after the first year
    b) dropped something small around every christmas

Best left lie i would say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Hey there.

just one thing would you prefer to be back dealing with the other fella.is the fence around your property, if you have no trouble with this fella dont bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Billy could you do us all a favour and PLEASE PLEASE ask him for the money. Come back here then and tell us all how you got on so we can all have a good laugh at you. Not only will we all be laughing at you but all your neighbours and probably the whole parish will be laughing at you when they hear about it. Then again seeing that your making such a fuss about €100 they already know that your a miserable git!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Billy could you do us all a favour and PLEASE PLEASE ask him for the money. Come back here then and tell us all how you got on so we can all have a good laugh at you. Not only will we all be laughing at you but all your neighbours and probably the whole parish will be laughing at you when they hear about it. Then again seeing that your making such a fuss about €100 they already know that your a miserable git!

And that's coming from a Cavan man:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

uncalled for you

Fair play to you cavanjack for registering on boards today just to pass on that insightful thought, lets hope all your future posts are as well thought out :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Never needed his help or a favour since he came round the place so not gonna start asking now for the sake of it

Then keep it in the bank. You've built up some goodwill for very little cost - it can't be more than a couple of quid a year to power a fence. To go looking for something now would only cause resentment. You never know when you might need him - or his brother/cousin/son - to pull your tractor out of a ditch, help you round up a beast of yours that's on the main road, etc. And at least he's returned anything he's borrowed so far, so he can't be all bad. This is what being a good neighbour is being all about so keep being one!

If we're going to start adding up and charging everybody for every little thing then we've really lost our way.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

F*ck sake lads, the lad is only Lookin for abit of advice on the matter but I think he's got it by now,op, the value isn't worth making things awkward over! He hasn't caused you hassle yet so just leave it that way, the usage is way less than 20 quid.
    .....As for you, big man behind a computer screen aren't we? Bet you wouldn't be half as quick to call someone a miserable git to their face! Is this the kind of shi*e we should be expecting from you in future?

Advertisement