Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.1/2 week kitten diarrhea.

• 30-05-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hi I am raising a 2 and 1/2 week old kitten. He has not pooped since Saturday, and today it seems that he has diarrhea. Should I bring him to the vet or is a result of me overfeeding him. I am feeding every 3.5hr-4hr and giving him 9-12mls of food. He is still active and not showing any signs of dehyration.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Hi I am raising a 2 and 1/2 week old kitten. He has not pooped since Saturday, and today it seems that he has diarrhea. Should I bring him to the vet or is a result of me overfeeding him. I am feeding every 3.5hr-4hr and giving him 9-12mls of food. He is still active and not showing any signs of dehyration.
    Thanks
    Have you been encouraging him to poo after every feed? If he was with his mother, she would lick his lower abdomen after every feeding which would encourage and stimulate him to poo and pee, in the first few weeks that is essential. *You* can use a moistened cotton bud and very gently rub in a downwards direction until you get results.
    It's possible the diarrhoea is a reaction to the 2 days of not pooing, though if it continues, check with your vet.
    Was the kitten abandoned or where is the mother cat?

Some info here that might be useful:
    http://www.activevetcare.ie/fact-sheets/hand-rearing-kittens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

yeah I have, he is doing well and can pee by himself sometimes although I am still encouraging him to do so. Think I will wait until the moring and if his stools are still not normal will take him down to the vets. He was found on a golf course last week looking pitiful but has come on great. He is a happy little cat purring everytime he gets a cuddle. No idea about the mum as noone has seen any feral cats in the area so no clue how he came to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

As Im sure you know already be very watchful of such a young kitten with diarrhoea, they can get dehydrated and go downhilll very very fast. If you get worried don't be afraid to ring the vets, they have emergency numbers and they are there to use them so don't feel awkward or bad about ringing at an unearthly hour, better safe than sorry.

What are you feeding him at the moment? Is he in good form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

yeah I have, he is doing well and can pee by himself sometimes although I am still encouraging him to do so. Think I will wait until the moring and if his stools are still not normal will take him down to the vets. He was found on a golf course last week looking pitiful but has come on great. He is a happy little cat purring everytime he gets a cuddle. No idea about the mum as noone has seen any feral cats in the area so no clue how he came to be there.
    Poor little kitten. Well done on looking after him, hope he's ok.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    As Im sure you know already be very watchful of such a young kitten with diarrhoea, they can get dehydrated and go downhilll very very fast. If you get worried don't be afraid to ring the vets, they have emergency numbers and they are there to use them so don't feel awkward or bad about ringing at an unearthly hour, better safe than sorry.

What are you feeding him at the moment? Is he in good form?

Thats what I am getting worried about, I dont know how to tell if he is getting dehydrated or not, to give him more liquid or less to stop the diarrhea. I am feeding him beaphar lactol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Thats what I am getting worried about, I dont know how to tell if he is getting dehydrated or not, to give him more liquid or less to stop the diarrhea. I am feeding him beaphar lactol.

Pinch up the skin on the scruff of the neck, it should immediately return to it's normal position, if it's slow to return or stays stuck up then he is dehydrated and with such a young kitten I would be ringing a vet as sub cut fluids are really needed.

Are you feeding the amount recommended on the tin? I would keep doing that until morning, maybe water it down a little more in case it's too concentrated. If he isin't showing signs of dehydration and doesn't have a major dose of diarrhoea but still not passing solid I would bring him to the vets in the morning, but if he's showing signs of dehydration in the meantime I would ring the vet asap.

Have you been weighing him daily? I think it's about 15g a day they should be gaining or 100g a week.

Haven't weighed him so will start that now. He seems to have stopped diarrhea but has not had a normal stool since. Tried the neck thing and I think he will be ok for now. Thanks

Advertisement