Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs in town

Options
  • 30-05-2011 9:58pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

Might be me but I've been looking for a job for some time in town now and cant get anywhere even for the minimum wage. In fact alot of places pay below minimum wage ie Kilmore...:confused:

Sick of it really, any place I've heard hiring in recent months gives it to the cousin or family friend...etc.

Anyone know places hiring, heard Lifestyle but Im not sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spinzes

not sure the vacancies in the celt are about a third of a column , you should report the kilmore for that though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭celt262

spinzes wrote: »
    not sure the vacancies in the celt are about a third of a column , you should report the kilmore for that though

Hotels can pay below te min wage.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

celt262 wrote: »
    Hotels can pay below te min wage.
    Yeah they can, well below. Kind of defeats the purpose of the minimum wage you would think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Plenty of supermarkets you can try. Most retail jobs of this kind aren't advertised, you just need to show up some day with a CV and get talking to a manager. I know someone who handed in a CV to a place and got a phone call 5 months later. Best of luck, it is a jungle out there.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Denerick wrote: »
    Plenty of supermarkets you can try. Most retail jobs of this kind aren't advertised, you just need to show up some day with a CV and get talking to a manager. I know someone who handed in a CV to a place and got a phone call 5 months later. Best of luck, it is a jungle out there.
    Cheers, yeah I agree with you. Going out with more CVs this week. Made the mistake before of just handing them in to the desk, Im not sure they even made it to the manager after I heard the staff there seen it lying around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

DB10 wrote: »
    Cheers, yeah I agree with you. Going out with more CVs this week. Made the mistake before of just handing them in to the desk, Im not sure they even made it to the manager after I heard the staff there seen it lying around.

When dropping them in Id make sure to

1 - Be dressed appropriately, clean shaven, not looking hungover.
    2 - Smile, act friendly, be polite to whoever takes the CV. (would you mind, who should I give this to, thank you etc).
    3 - Give them a chance to look at it if they want to - dont run away after handing it in.
    4 - Follow it up with a phonecall a day later. Hi, I handed in my CV yesterday, just wondering if you had any questions.

When handing it in Id respectfully suggest asking in whatever manner seems appropriate, who reads these, getting their job title. Then when leaving note the phone number of the premises for the follow-up phone call, then ring and ask for that person when doing the phone call.

Also Id include a BRIEF cover letter with a few lines and your name and phone number clearly displayed.

Make sure your CV is easy to read. Exam Results etc should be tabbed and clear.

Target the cover letter to where your applying - If its clothing retail state a line or two of relevancy in the cover letter - "im studying retail management in college so wanted hands on experience" - or "friends always compliment me on my dress sense so I feel I would be in a good position to serve customers" - same for mobile phones. NEVER make it seem like you are settling - Iv heard of CVs where one is applying to a cleaning company and writes "Ideally I want a bar job but would settle for anything"...... fair enough perhaps "I have experience in bar work but from this I also developed skills in customer relationships, stock control, presentation and facilities hygiene"...

Any q's on the above write back, the above seems obvious but 90% of the CVs Iv seen or people Iv seen handing them in fail to do the above.
    I know one guy who got an interview (and subsequent job) in a place where most CVs are dumped just by smiling and being polite when handing it in - as most people didnt bother. I know others who have done a mass drop (including one in Cavan) who got nowhere for 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

@1st Now that's really good advice .

I'm thinking of doing the Fleadh Cheoil 13th - 22nd August 2011. The biggest celebration of Irish culture in the world is happening right here in Cavan this August!. I'd like a couple of local people to help out on my stall .

Last year we had a Japanese trio do a pavement stint and are great ambassadors for our country and our music in Japan

PM me if you would like to try your hand at cooking some Japanese snacks I'll be selling at this years Shindig.

Mod: I trust this post is allowable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

i presume uve asked the fleadh committee for help... jeez, theres plenty of help and dosh lying ther for ye if ye need... pm me.

Advertisement